Facebook vs Quilting Board

Old 02-09-2011, 10:10 AM

I have cancelled FB so many times then keep reactivating just to be in touch with my family and friends overseas and other States, but i find it very boring.

As for QB, this is a different story. It is so much fun to communicate and chat and go back and forth with ideas with each other here. So not only we are socializing, but we are learning at all times (ideas, patterns, news...etc) something we don't get at FB for sure (i see it more as chat, show off, gossip...lol).

I open my FB whenever i get a msg on my BB from a friend or family, but not more....the rest of the day a page is on QB even if i am not on the computer.

God Bless you all my new friends :wink:
Old 02-09-2011, 10:15 AM

I'm on FB rather a lot because my LiveJournal (blog community) non-quilting forum friends have moved over there. I get a lot of my political news from my FB friends, and it's the only way to keep up with the younger generation (even though I have to hide one Stepson's posts because I do NOT want to know what he's up to, LOL).

But if I need to talk quilting, I have to come here.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:26 AM

Facebook is first when I turn on my computer to see what all of the family and friends are up to, then QB, where I stay much longer.

I love Facebook to keep up with family and friends around that country and the world.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by sak658
I was on Facebook for about 2 days, till I saw my youngest granddaughter (21) showing off her new tatoo of a star on her back shoulder. I politely posted about it and my dislike. I closed up Facebook and haven't been back on, I don't want to know what all they are doing whether its good or not so good. What I don't know doesn't bother me. So I'm happy with just the quilting board. lol
I've never had a facebook page. Like sak658 I thought I would see or hear things I would rather not. I also feel like I would be hanging out where the younguns hang. It's OK if you think this is strange, others have said so but I just feel like I would be invading the younger generations hangout. My youngest will be 29 before long and I don't want to know all the details of my kids lives like they share online.

By the way love the Quilting Board.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:30 AM

I have facebook but don't use it much. I feel safer here.

Ditto what BLuegrassgal said too.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:35 AM

I love it here!! no need for Facebook!!!
Old 02-09-2011, 11:37 AM

I've got both, but I spend more time here at the QB looking at pictures and items for sale. If I want to see all the cute family pictures, I have to go to FB since email is now the "old fashioned" way to communicate.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:43 AM

Absolutely! I signed on to facebook after a class reunion to keep up with my high school friends. It was fun for the first few months, then it got really old, really fast. Once I joined here facebook never stood a chance!
Old 02-09-2011, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
I signed up with FB at the request of my GD, but I tried usuing if for about a week and I hated it and haven't used it for over 4 years, and I'm still getting odd requests to be somebody's friend. If I could work out how to delete myself from it, I would.
You sound like me. I couldn't figure it out and said the heck with it, I have a blank page there, and every so often I get messages from people I've never even heard of asking to be my friend. I've don't even bother to go to the site to see who they are. I figure if I don't know who they are then I probably won't want to hear what they have to say. Anybody who knows me or my hubby would just email me.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:58 AM

I tried FB for about a day and a half. I only tried because my older son and daughter-in-law kept after me to try it. I didn't like it at all and closed it down. They got over it and still email me. We call once in a while. I am the only person my DGD emails and she told me she loves keeping in touch and sending pics of her three little ones. She was very surprised that I even tried FB. I love this quilting board though and I have learned so much. :)