fair price for shipping

Old 03-27-2011, 07:34 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by Lilrain
I have been in several swaps, and swapped tablerunners and doll quilts for less than $3.00. Have also sent 2 yards of fabric for less than $3.00. I think maybe the gal only wanted to ship Priority. Guess it is a good deal for her, no figuring weight or getting envelopes
I do swaps (and sell stuff on occasion) and yes, it is easier to sell and swap with ONE cost for all.. I, and Im sure other hosts will agree, do not want to stand all day calculating postage for 50+ packages.. Its a time management call for me.. plus with the cost of gas these days who wants to run to the post office to get the accurate weighted price to find out they changed their minds.. lol... Ugh been there, dont ever wanna do that again... ONE price works for me..
Old 03-27-2011, 07:37 PM
Banned

it really depends on what the sellers options are for shipping..if they have no scale and no way to get to the PO then FRE are what they have to use...the postal carrier can pick up.. many folks are house bound...or on fixed incomes and running to the PO every day to get a price check is not cost effective!

and $5 for any fabric with insurance or tracking is actually quite normal..especially with the crack down on the rules for first class and the prices going up again!

Shipping aint cheap!
Old 03-27-2011, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I don't buy when it states that they will only use priority shipping.
When I sell I will take the time to go to the PO and get the exact shipping cost. I figure if I'm the one selling then I should do my best to get the best shipping rate for the buyer.
MY KINDA GAL!
LOL. I agree. From selling online I buy bulk plastic envelopes. So for people like me shipping supplies don't cost much. few cents for an envelope, roll of tape is nothing really so it is cost efficent to ship that way, But for a lot of people on here, They have to buy the envelopes and tape ar face value, and it just isn't cost effective. FRE's are whats on hand.
Too bad your seller couldn't have worked with you to ship it firstclass in a manilla folder. There will be other deals.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CloverPatch
Originally Posted by cjomomma
I don't buy when it states that they will only use priority shipping.
When I sell I will take the time to go to the PO and get the exact shipping cost. I figure if I'm the one selling then I should do my best to get the best shipping rate for the buyer.
MY KINDA GAL!
LOL. I agree. From selling online I buy bulk plastic envelopes. So for people like me shipping supplies don't cost much. few cents for an envelope, roll of tape is nothing really so it is cost efficent to ship that way, But for a lot of people on here, They have to buy the envelopes and tape ar face value, and it just isn't cost effective. FRE's are whats on hand.
Too bad your seller couldn't have worked with you to ship it firstclass in a manilla folder. There will be other deals.
I also use the plastic currier envelopes, but my "guy" is now telling me he thinks the post office is going to outlaw them due to the machines they are now using...they eat the envelopes....I have had customers tell me their books were creased in half by the machines...and the PO told them I should not mail in those envelopes, or mark them "do not bend"...if you mark them they cost more and require insurance..did you know that???
PO rules are crazy to figure out any more...

I would never ship fabric in a manilla envelope, not with the new machines they have...no way..not even insured!
Old 03-27-2011, 08:07 PM
Banned

I do a lot of shipping on ebay and use mostly priority mail. I think it all comes down to what your willing to pay and how long your willing to wait.

If I want a fabric now - and I"m like a kid a Christmas so a few extra dollars to get it a week earlier is worth it to me. Priority mail is easiest to ship because its flat rate and the minimum amount would be $4.95 for their smallest envelope.

If you don't mind waiting and want cheaper shipping than first class is the way to go.

I think tha it probably should be clearer - but I ship the way the person wants and then they pay for that and nothing else.

Also - on paypal - use the gift function and click other - there shouldn't be a fee (i could be wrong but I do this all the time and people thank me for saving them a paypal fee).

Rambling sorry....
Old 03-27-2011, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by pamkasperi
I do a lot of shipping on ebay and use mostly priority mail. I think it all comes down to what your willing to pay and how long your willing to wait.

If I want a fabric now - and I"m like a kid a Christmas so a few extra dollars to get it a week earlier is worth it to me. Priority mail is easiest to ship because its flat rate and the minimum amount would be $4.95 for their smallest envelope.

If you don't mind waiting and want cheaper shipping than first class is the way to go.

I think tha it probably should be clearer - but I ship the way the person wants and then they pay for that and nothing else.

Also - on paypal - use the gift function and click other - there shouldn't be a fee (i could be wrong but I do this all the time and people thank me for saving them a paypal fee).

Rambling sorry....
PAYPAL is tracking people who get too many "Gifts: as it is fraud. they provide a service and cannot do it for nothing
Old 03-27-2011, 08:32 PM
Banned

PAYPAL is tracking people who get too many "Gifts: as it is fraud. they provide a service and cannot do it for nothing[/quote]

which is sad and wrong as many people use this to send their kids or even parents an allowance, or actual birthday gifts, etc...it is not paypal doing the tracking, it is uncle sugar..the IRS....
If I had 6 kids and wanted to send gifts via paypal each week, what do they care???
Now if I am sending gifts over seas in the tune of $10k a month, that is a different fish...
Old 03-27-2011, 08:43 PM
MTS
Banned

Rambling sorry....
And then when your package gets lost or damaged or the goods aren't what you thought, you as the Buyer are up the proverbial creek without a paddle. I'm sure the seller will be thankful that you can't file a claim against them for the lost or damaged package, in addition to having saved them the PayPal fee (which is and should be a cost of doing business).

As for PP fees, if you choose the gift option AND the money is transferred from a bank account or PayPal available funds, then there is no fee.

But if the Buyer checks the Gift option AND pays with a credit card, then the Buyer ends up paying the fees, unless he unchecks the "I'll pay the fee" option, thereby passing the fee along to the Seller.

And, again, the Gift option eliminates any kind of Seller/Buyer protection.

(Although I'm not sure how it would work if you filed with your credit card...but what would you say you didn't receive if the transaction was marked as Gift and the cash was clearly transferred?)
Old 03-27-2011, 08:45 PM
Banned

Rambling sorry....
PAYPAL is tracking people who get too many "Gifts: as it is fraud. they provide a service and cannot do it for nothing
I guess I can see your point but I am comfortable justifying my actions.

I do about a $1000 if not more a month on ebay using only paypal and I pay my fee's to both ebay and paypal.

On hear most if not all of us are selling fabrics or books we have ot support our habit; help others or just clean out what we aren't using it - so I don't have a problem hitting the "other" button - paypal gives you 2 options purchase or personal - I choose the personal button when dealing with people here - if they don't want me to - then I won't but I figure that the "deals" I've gotten its worth it.

Sorry just my take on it - and I understand that many may not agree with me because it goes against the policies set out in paypal - so no need to bash - you can just ignore!
Old 03-27-2011, 08:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MTS
Rambling sorry....
And then when your package gets lost or damaged or the goods aren't what you thought, you as the Buyer are up the proverbial creek without a paddle. I'm sure the seller will be thankful that you can't file a claim against them for the lost or damaged package, in addition to having saved them the PayPal fee (which is and should be a cost of doing business).

As for PP fees, if you choose the gift option AND the money is transferred from a bank account or PayPal available funds, then there is no fee.

But if the Buyer checks the Gift option AND pays with a credit card, then the Buyer ends up paying the fees, unless he unchecks the "I'll pay the fee" option, thereby passing the fee along to the Seller.

And, again, the Gift option eliminates any kind of Seller/Buyer protection.

(Although I'm not sure how it would work if you filed with your credit card...but what would you say you didn't receive if the transaction was marked as Gift and the cash was clearly transferred?)
MTS - that is true but if I'm buying it on here and not on ebay or some other auction site where I expect protection then I'm taking a risk anyway - there isn't a dispute process on here that I can see - so I forgo the buyer protection because I'm willing to assume the risk.