fair price for shipping

Old 03-27-2011, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by MTS
Originally Posted by pamkasperi
Also - on paypal - use the gift function and click other - there shouldn't be a fee (i could be wrong but I do this all the time and people thank me for saving them a paypal fee).
Rambling sorry....
And then when your package gets lost or damaged or the goods aren't what you thought, you as the Buyer are up the proverbial creek without a paddle. I'm sure the seller will be thankful that you can't file a claim against them for the lost or damaged package, in addition to having saved them the PayPal fee (which is and should be a cost of doing business).

As for PP fees, if you choose the gift option AND the money is transferred from a bank account or PayPal available funds, then there is no fee.

But if the Buyer checks the Gift option AND pays with a credit card, then the Buyer ends up paying the fees, unless he unchecks the "I'll pay the fee" option, thereby passing the fee along to the Seller.

And, again, the Gift option eliminates any kind of Seller/Buyer protection.

(Although I'm not sure how it would work if you filed with your credit card...but what would you say you didn't receive if the transaction was marked as Gift and the cash was clearly transferred?)
But using the "Gift" option is fraud, and PayPal is tracking them
Old 03-27-2011, 09:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lilrain
Originally Posted by MTS
Originally Posted by pamkasperi
Also - on paypal - use the gift function and click other - there shouldn't be a fee (i could be wrong but I do this all the time and people thank me for saving them a paypal fee).
Rambling sorry....
And then when your package gets lost or damaged or the goods aren't what you thought, you as the Buyer are up the proverbial creek without a paddle. I'm sure the seller will be thankful that you can't file a claim against them for the lost or damaged package, in addition to having saved them the PayPal fee (which is and should be a cost of doing business).

As for PP fees, if you choose the gift option AND the money is transferred from a bank account or PayPal available funds, then there is no fee.

But if the Buyer checks the Gift option AND pays with a credit card, then the Buyer ends up paying the fees, unless he unchecks the "I'll pay the fee" option, thereby passing the fee along to the Seller.

And, again, the Gift option eliminates any kind of Seller/Buyer protection.

(Although I'm not sure how it would work if you filed with your credit card...but what would you say you didn't receive if the transaction was marked as Gift and the cash was clearly transferred?)
But using the "Gift" option is fraud, and PayPal is tracking them
Thank you Lilrain - your point is taken. I was offering suggestions and solutions for friendly transactions on this board - my own personal opinion - sorry your topic got hijacked - that wasn't my intent.

My point in my response was that this place is friendly and most everyone here is helping and offering material; patterns or books at a very reasonable price and sometimes under what is considered reasonable and most people just swap and give stuff away....it just doesn't seem like some place - to me - where someone is trying to take advantage of someone else - again - I could be wrong about that too.

I don't see using the "Personal-0ther" option on paypal for a one time transcations where I've maybe paid a buck fifty for something as fruad - you do - and that is ok with me - no matter how much I dislike that word - since technically by the letter of the law you are probably right.

Again, my apologies for your thread getting off topic and for posting somthing you found distastful. I was trying to help with other solutions to getting your fabric without breaking the bank!

Cheers!
Old 03-28-2011, 12:06 AM
Administrator

sellers here are not allowed to ask buyers to send paypal payments under the "gift" option. if a seller asks you to do that, i'd encourage you to cancel the transaction immediately. do not transact with people who ask you to conduct business in any way that is dishonest. you are just setting yourself up for trouble.

i encourage all buyers to always use the proper option, no matter how small the sale. since we cannot offer any protections for either party, using the proper option is the only protection available to both parties during a transaction.

using services like paypal or google checkout to send/receive payment speeds up transactions. it's not only faster than checks, money orders or cash, it's safer for both parties. the fees are low in relation to the benefits they provide.

mailing supplies, in general, are relatively inexpensive. sellers are allowed to take the cost of those supplies into account when setting the prices for the items they offer. it isn't against the rules, but - in my personal opinion - they shouldn't tack those expenses on as "shipping/handling charges" unless they accurately itemize those expenses.

Flat rate mailing supplies are free. They can be ordered online and are delivered straight to the house. So, if a seller mails something that could have been sent at a lower cost, it's up to the buyer to decide whether or not she/he is willing to pay that "seller's convenience surcharge" in order to get the item(s) offered.

the buyer is the only one who can decide whether the price of the item(s) bought + shipping adds up to a bargain. we each have different perspectives on that.

remember, always, that our classifieds section operates as a thrift shop. we do not provide the space so that members can operate businesses. it's there so we can exchange excess fabric, tools and supplies in order to help each other make ends meet. we are buying and trading as friends.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Oh no, that's really not a bargain then.

I've never bought that amount of fabric so I really don't know but I wouldn't spend that much.
I buy a lot on Ebay and they can get 7 yards in a flat rate envelope for 5.15.
That's a bargain to me!
I still can't figure out how they do this )get this much in an envelope),I have tried.I think sometimes we just estimate the shipping cost, I know I usually way underestimate the shipping and have paid a lot of it myself. I tried the last time I sold to go by exact cost ,this has been a nightmare. I am still waiting for some to pm me back or pay and it has been a few weeks!I have a lot more fabric I want to part with but dread the nightmare of getting the sales to go through.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:38 AM

I still can't figure out how they do this )get this much in an envelope),I have tried.I think sometimes we just estimate the shipping cost, I know I usually way underestimate the shipping and have paid a lot of it myself. I tried the last time I sold to go by exact cost ,this has been a nightmare. I am still waiting for some to pm me back or pay and it has been a few weeks!I have a lot more fabric I want to part with but dread the nightmare of getting the sales to go through.[/quote]

I have never been able to get more than 6 yards in one. I have "absorbed" a lot of postage, supplies costs and refunded thru Paypal when I charged to much for International shipments. I always pay the fees as that is the "right" thing for me to do. As far as sales going thru "Life" happens to all of us and Patience is a virtue I am definitely working on constantly. If you have sent an PM and it has been a couple weeks I personally would consider the sale canceled and re-list the item unless you agreed to hold it for them.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mimito2
I have never been able to get more than 6 yards in one.
i can barely get 4 or 5 into a paper flat rate envelope.

using the padded flat rate envelopes, i have managed to cram as many as 9 yards into one. (i didn't say it was easy. i said it could be done. :lol: )

the padded envelopes cost only 20 cents more. a bargain for sure. :-)
Old 03-28-2011, 09:01 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I got 5 1/2 yards of ticker fabric in the padded envelope. Ticker is a very thick and heavy material. I think it's heavier than canvas. Now I'm just hoping that it makes it's destination in one piece. LOL!
Old 03-28-2011, 11:29 AM

Please, please forgive me but I can't stop laughing at this thread visualizing all you ladies in various positions trying your best to cram as much fabric as you can into the smallest priority flat rate you can. I know it isn't funny trying to get the most bang for your buck but for whatever reason it is just hysterical to me with my visualizations.

Personally, I prefer the prioity flat rate envelopes/boxes and find their prices quite reasonable...but I never purchase anything that costs less that the flat rate so it's not been an issue for me.

So onward and forward ladies cramming those packages as full as you can. :D :D
Old 03-28-2011, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by quiltmaker
Please, please forgive me but I can't stop laughing at this thread visualizing all you ladies in various positions trying your best to cram as much fabric as you can into the smallest priority flat rate you can.
it's the one time i'm happy to have the extra pounds.

and ... yes ... the reality is at least as funny as anything you are likely to have imagined. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 03-28-2011, 12:42 PM

I would love to buy more from the board, but like the OP, shipping costs makes me think twice. I usually save up my money until I can order from Fabric.com or Connecting Threads with free shipping. But it is the high postal rates that is really the meanie, not our members. I don't sell often for the same reason. I hate having to charge for shipping and have often split the cost with a buyer.