Fall TV 2023

Old 09-25-2023, 08:02 AM

Default Fall TV 2023

Boy, this writer's strike and such is going to muck up my tv viewing -- plus we are currently trying streaming instead of standard cable, and we have over the air tv antennas for the local channels.

Tonight is the start of The Irrational on NBC -- Peacock is one of the services we do have so shouldn't have a problem watching this either on live over the air channel or on the streaming network. It is a new show and the ads appeal to me,
https://www.nbc.com/the-irrational

Wednesday on Fox is The Masked Singer. I've been watching this since it started and typically guess a couple of acts each year. Maybe not for everyone and I really could use less of the panel, but I enjoy it.

Friday should be Great British Baking Show on Netflix. I really like this so much more than most American Competition shows, it isn't all about "branding" but about baking. I do like the Food Network shows with Jesse Palmer as host -- but maybe he will be too busy this year hosting the senior/golden version of the Bachelor. I'm hoping that American BBQ Showdown comes back to Netflix, word was that they were recruiting for Season 3.

I've been following the cancellations/renewals of various shows but the strike is making the reality a bit harder to follow. Anyone else following what's coming up/when?

Old 09-25-2023, 09:00 AM

We got rid of cable about 4 years ago. Don’t miss it. We stream several streaming channels through Roku. So I doubt the writers strike will affect us.
Old 09-25-2023, 11:54 AM

If you like British competition shows...not just the baking ones, you may enjoy
The great pottery showdown
and
blown away - a fun glass blowing competition
also
portrait artist of the year
and
the repair shop (not a competition, but super fun fix-it show with very talented 'fixers' who fix all sorts of vintage things from clocks to ceramics to leather pieces and wood pieces to stuffed animals, musical instruments, paintings...all sorts of things)
Not sure how many of these are on netflix tho
maybe BBC (Britbox) or Acorn...

Last edited by 1CharmShort; 09-25-2023 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-25-2023, 12:32 PM
Power Poster

I stream everything. No commercials and the content is so much better. I watch Acorn TV, BritBox, PBS Masterpiece, Amazon Prime, Paramount and Netflix. We have Youtube Tv and get all the local and tv stations as my husband watches a lot of sport channels.
Old 09-25-2023, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
I stream everything. No commercials and the content is so much better. I watch Acorn TV, BritBox, PBS Masterpiece, Amazon Prime, Paramount and Netflix. We have Youtube Tv and get all the local and tv stations as my husband watches a lot of sport channels.
This is exactly what we do. We stream all those channels through Roku. We love the British programs. Too many to list.
Old 09-25-2023, 02:27 PM

I guess I wasn't clear enough in my first post. I'm actually very happy streaming old content, or british content,, or newer content with slight delays. It is a bit different than live cable but suits my early to bed and early to rise lifestyle. As we've been moving we've been binging on streamed shows of many genres and origins that we were too busy with network tv to watch.

My main concern was the network shows that typically premiere in September/October and this year will probably not be until sometime in 2024. If it is an American produced show, it is impacted by the strike, even with the strike possibly ended. Due to the strike, some of the series we watch and are current with from Ghosts and So Help Me Todd (CBS) or LaBrea (NBC) or Resident Alien (SyFy) or the Cleaning Lady (Fox) or Yellowjackets (showtime) have been renewed but will probably not air until sometime in 2024 with very little released on just when. Basically I haven't found any confirmed premieres for most of what we watch...

BTW, Survivor and Amazing Race both start this Wednesday with their new 90-minute format. That makes them much too late for me to watch as broadcast, but we have streaming for that.
Old 09-25-2023, 03:45 PM

thank you for mentioning this show. i set it to record. Lately every new show costs to watch even though I pay for t.v. Most frustrating.
Old 09-25-2023, 04:21 PM
Power Poster

I just discontinued my cable service last month and am trying to navigate the options for streaming. I signed up for hulu+live TV for the first month, just to get my bearings, but I'm not sure that's what I want in the long run. I'm actually not interested in getting live TV, but I do want to stream TV shows, and I'd prefer to avoid commercials. I want to at least be able to keep up with some of the series that I've watched for years on the major networks. Any recommendations for the best streaming services for current TV shows?
Old 09-25-2023, 09:17 PM
Power Poster

Roku TV streams all channels. You pick which one you want and sign up by computer, tablet or phone. I subscribe under Amazon Prime to all the channels I want. Keeps it easier to have all in one place. Roku TV, or Roku stick for your non smart tv will stream it all. We have YouTube TV for local and broadcasting channels. Each channel is an app on the tv. Click one and watch.
Old 09-26-2023, 03:08 AM

Country living. We have Hughs Net Satellite internet. Don't recommend. Streaming sometimes fails or is slow. Not dependable. We have missed the end of movies because streaming refused to cooperate-frustrating!
We have been watching Hulu. Look up "The Practice". I am catching up on shows that I didn't watch when working.