Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Fallen Arches and Foot Pain >
  • Fallen Arches and Foot Pain

• Fallen Arches and Foot Pain

Old 03-27-2010, 06:20 PM

I have plantar fasciitis in both feet and bone spurs under both heels, probably from teaching school. My experience? The only thing that gave me relief was physical therapy. I tried custom orthotics, $300 later, I threw them out.

I try to never walk barefoot in the house (hurts after a few minutes) and I wear a good running shoe pretty much every day. The only exceptions I make are special occasions.

Foot pain is terribly miserable, it's not like you can just sit down all the time. Plus the pain doesn't go away when you do.
    Old 03-27-2010, 06:40 PM

I've had the same problem. Buy some good fitting walking/jogging shoes (I find them at Walmart for about 28$) with built in arch supports. Then stand about a foot and a half from a wall and put the toes of one foot against the wall with your heel still on the floor. Place both hands on the wall and gently rock up onto the toes of the other foot. You should really feel it in the back of your leg. Do it several times, several times a day, switching feet every 5 or so times. This simple exercise will help lengthen the tendons in the back of your leg. Shortening of that tendon is what causes arches to fall. You can ask your orthopedic doctor about it or look in up on the internet. It worked for me but it's not an over night fix. I went 2 years without going barefoot. I even had to put rolled wash cloths under my arches in the shower. Oh, and NEVER wear high heels---even short ones. To this day I never wear shoes without arch supports but I am able to go barefoot in the house again. If you have wide feet like me, go to the men's tennis shoes. They look the same as a lot of the women's but they're 1/4-3/16" wider. Just go down a size and a half or two sizes. I wear a 10 in womens but an 8 in mens.
    Old 03-27-2010, 06:42 PM

Crocs are good shoes but if you can't afford them I've found that the Airwalker brand is much cheaper and work as well. In fact, (personal preference) I like them better. You can get them at Payless. But ToucanSam is right about the Walmart brand---they'll kill your feet.
    Old 03-27-2010, 06:54 PM
    Power Poster

I wear the Airwalk crocs at work and they are a god send. I can still walk at the end of a twelve hour shift. Best things I ever found.
    Old 03-27-2010, 07:57 PM

Sorry you are having trouble with your feet.
    I have had a lot of foot problems. I finally went to the Podiatrist and got some orthotics for my shoes. They cost me around $300. I have been wearing them for years, I can't wear sandals or dress shoes for very long because my Orthotics do not fit in them. But... . I no longer have foot pain when I am wearing them.
    It is harder to find shoes that they fit into. I pretty much only wear SAS shoes and sandals because they have a lot of cushioning in them.
    Except I also wear my Brooks running (no I don't run) shoes most of the time when I can.
    Old 03-27-2010, 08:05 PM

Some years ago I was running and did a baseball slide onto
    a cement porch. I smashed my ankle, the first diagnosis was
    that I'd never walk again, but I made it. Can't run, but do get
    to where I want to go and beyond.

After buying and trying hundreds of dollars of shoes and boots,
    (Goodwill and the Women's Mission love me) I finally found a
    type of boots that I've worn nearly every day for the last 5 or
    so years. They are lace up cowboy ropers, and can be laced up
    tight enough to support my ankle. I do use some supports in them
    now and then, but they don't seem to make that much difference.

Just try these, they aren't high style, but if they help you walk with
    not much pain, that's a step in the right direction (pun not intended!)
    Old 03-27-2010, 08:47 PM

You probably don't need orthotic shoes, marsye. A good pair of supportive shoes should be fine, and you can always get generic arch supports for like $10.
    Old 03-27-2010, 08:55 PM

I've had the plantar Facsiitis and heel spurs too. I found both brands of sneakers great. I prefer the running sneaker as they have more padding. I even use socks with arch support that can make a world of difference. My orthopedic dr. suggested never to walk in barefeet or without shoes preferably New Balance. I found alternating shoes from day to day to be good.
    I found myself putting my sneakers on the minute I got out of bed! The key is to provide the arch support. I heard the exercises helpful too that were described but I did not follow through with them very long.
    Old 03-27-2010, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by marsye
    I have fallen arches and alot of foot pain. My mother told me since I was a teenager to wear better shoes or I was going to have problems, well she was right! All of a sudden I'm having alot of trouble walking. I wore flat shoes all my life with no arch support and went bare foot at home all the time. I hate shoes with a passion! So any of you have this problem? What do you do? I've tried the store bought inserts but they don't seem to help.
    I wish I could offer a good answer, but I hate shoes to. I can't stand them. I have arthritis in my left foot along with a bone spur. Only relief for me was flat bottom shoes (my kids call the skater shoes.) I love them my feet still hurt but not as bad.
    Old 03-27-2010, 09:49 PM

I am the biggest advertisement for Birkenstocks. I used to suffer terribly with my feet when I worked at a hospital, I almost wanted to cry. I bought a cheaper Birkenstock sandal made with Birkoflor instead of leather in case they did not help. Well they were the best thing I ever bought. Soon I bought a pair of duty shoes and never had pain again. I know they are not for everybody but they really helped me. The leather ones are expensive but they last forever.