Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Fallen Arches and Foot Pain >
  • Fallen Arches and Foot Pain

• Fallen Arches and Foot Pain

Old 03-28-2010, 06:39 AM

Marsye-The Z Coils are so easy to walk in, they're not like walking in heels even though they do have a spring in the heel. I suffered for 5 years with heel pain so bad that I could barely walk, I don't have plantar fascitis(sp), heel spurs, bone spurs, etc., they didn't know what the problem was. I had the lovely cortizone shots, which helped somewhat for about a week. The thing is, you can only get a very limited amount of shots during your LIFE and I was at my limit. I had asked my doctor about the Z Coils and he said that my feet needed support and blah, blah, blah. They could do surgery though. Excuse me, you don't know what the problem is, so you're going to do surgery? Not on me, you won't. I got the shoes and within 3 days, my feet were feeling so much better and haven't bothered me since.

Hope you find your solution.
    Old 03-28-2010, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by marsye
    Does anyone know if these walkers by Hush Puppy have good arch supports?

http://www.roamans.com/clothing/Clas...PurchaseType=0
    I have shoes from Hush Puppies that look similar called Upbeat Bounce Wallking black leather. I have soft arch supports that I would put them in,if needed . My orthopedic dr. suggested them for the soft sole and bounce stepping process. I also have the tie energetic shoe with this bounce system and love the way it molds to the bottom of my foot.

This is such a great site that I just discovered last night!!
    Old 03-28-2010, 08:46 AM

Oh, and I got NO relief from cortisone shots! Not one little bitty bit.

I guess it doesn't help my foot situation that my arches are rather high (but falling i'm sure), and my feet are very narrow (11 narrow). And, for what it's worth, SAS shoes are just too ugly for me to wear at this point. I'll stick with my running shoes.
    :)
    Old 03-28-2010, 08:58 AM

I too had plantar facitis. After all the xrays and exam, he wrapped my foot up tightly in tape and had me wear it that way for 2 or three days. He said if it helped ease the pain that getting custom orthotics would help also. I guess it was a test. They cost around $300 and my insurance paid some. They started to help me in a few days, after I got more used to them. He also told me never to go barefoot and not to wear high heels. He did say when they were healed that I could wear some heels that were not to high, and go for some time without the orthotics. It took me a long time to get to that point. I even put some
    supports in my slippers! So now its been 3 years, I still wear the orthotics most of the time, and I really try not to go barefoot.... a hard thing to do when you are around swimming pools. I do where some flip flops for cushioning.
    The orthotics were the best thing for me. I feel like I am completely healed. Oh, he also told me to use New Balance shoes! I love them, cause the orthotics fit in side, and they also come in my size ! (a 12 for my flipper feet LOL)
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
    Old 03-28-2010, 10:18 AM

I recently saw a podiatrist for the first time. My life-long flat feet are causing me other problems now. There is no "cure" for flat feet...I'll never correct it, as may be possible with plantar facitis (which I've also had in the past). But I do have to address the foot support issue or my knees, hips, and back are going to continue to be affected. I got the custom orthotics two months ago and have gradually worked up to wearing them almost all the time. I go barefoot at home for only very short periods.

The podiatrist recommended for walking and exercise only New Balance running shoes...not walking or cross trainers. Running. They have helped and my orthotics fit inside them. I've had to buy other shoes for work. That's been a challenge. No heels. I'm still shopping!
    Old 03-28-2010, 10:30 AM

My husband and I were having a lot of problems with our feet. We both went to a podiatrist and got orthodics and I still wear mine and I love them. We also bought Skechers Shape Ups. Because I have such a wide foot I tried on a pair of mens, heck they fit perfectly. I have more shoes that are sooooo cute and hurt like craxy. All I wear is my Shape Ups!!!!!!The insole is removabel and I slip in my orthodics and can walk for ever. I would start with a podiatrist. My dad always told me to take good care of my feet...you only have one pair, he'd day.
    He s so right!
    Old 03-28-2010, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
    I too have foot pain. And yes, I have always gone barefoot. I have the Dr Scholls inserts recommended by the machine that you step on at Walmart. They help but the pain isn't gone completely. Check online for a coupon.

I have been walking on the treadmill with a slight incline. It has helped my waistline and it helps stretch the tendon similar to the exercises mentioned.

I've been going to weight watchers too. I figure my weight can't be helping. So far I'm down 25 lbs. Is it less weight, better shoes, walking uphill or everything combined? All I know is it is helping some.

Thanks for the shoe suggestions. I need to go shoe shopping. I'd rather go fabric shopping though.
    mary quite contrary,
    What a great idea to walk on an incline. I will be doing that today. And you are so right added weight is most of our problems in health. CONGRATS :thumbup: On your 25 pounds weight loss! Awesome :-D
    Old 03-28-2010, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by JoAnnGC
    Originally Posted by marsye
    Has anyone ever used the Dr. Scholl's measurement system (the machine you stand on) with good results?
    My DH has been using the custom Dr. Scholl's inserts for about 4 months and says it's the best thing he's ever done for his feet. I think they were about $50.
    yes i too want to try them.
    Old 03-28-2010, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by JJs
    I found my Relief Crocs at the Croc outlet at Lake-of-the-Ozarks MO for $10...
    I found the diabetic Silver Relief at the Croc outlet in Foley Al for $30....
    how are those too expensive?

my relief crocs are right beside the bed and I put them on even to go visit the outhouse in the middle of the night! LOL - never go barefoot if you have plantar fascitis

you might like some of these sites:
    http://www.aapsm.org/plantar_fasciitis.html

http://www.nbbaltimore.com/foot-prob...s-c-61_73.html

http://walking.about.com/b/2003/06/2...-fasciitis.htm
    Sorry, didn't mean to offend. Around here Crocs run $30 on sale and up from there.
    Old 03-28-2010, 11:49 AM

I am so glad to hear that some of you deal with a "good understanding" as my grandma used to say. I wear a 12 1/2 which I can't find, so wear a 13 ladies (if I can find them) or a 11-12 mens. the SAS I wear are really ugly and look huge, but at least I can walk. I am hoping that someday soon the manufacturers of women's shoes will realize that there are those of us out here who need a 13 and will make comfortable, stylish shoes in our size.