False pockets

Old 06-25-2024, 12:02 PM
Power Poster

Default False pockets

Why do they make woman’s clothing with false pockets? I just made decorative pockets on the back of new jean shorts into real pockets. All the work had been done but the pockets were only an inch deep. It was easy enough to add on length to the pockets but I must admit I was peeved.
Old 06-25-2024, 01:03 PM

I don't know, but every single woman I know has the exact same complaint!

Old 06-25-2024, 01:10 PM

And I am one of them!! There should be a law that pockets are usable. However, what exactly is the use of the breast pockets on some women's shirts? Are we actually supposed to put 'stuff' in them? Just what I need--'enhanced' boobage!
Old 06-25-2024, 03:03 PM

I've been irritated for years at the tiny little pockets they put on the front of women's jeans. They aren't even deep enough to carry a fob safely. They're useless. If they were just a couple inches deeper they'd be fine.
Old 06-25-2024, 04:13 PM

yep, the one inch thing is weird. Might as well not be there thank you very much.

I don't carry a purse these days, i need my pockets!!!
Old 06-25-2024, 06:46 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cashs_mom
I've been irritated for years at the tiny little pockets they put on the front of women's jeans. They aren't even deep enough to carry a fob safely. They're useless. If they were just a couple inches deeper they'd be fine.
Irritates me, too!
Old 06-25-2024, 09:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cashs_mom
This is definitely a Me Too moment!!

Some don't even have the tiny little pocket but only a faux pocket.

For the ones on the front, I have opened up the faux pocket, and added fabric inside to make a true pocket!! Of course, I don't have matching fabric, so I shop my stash for something that coordinates. After all, no one but me is likely to ever see it.

For the "real" back pockets, I've often stitched them closed. Especially the ones that flip and flop and don't lay nice after the wash.

As long as I can have the fronts usable, I don't care about the back pockets.
Old 06-26-2024, 03:57 AM

Tartan, I agree! I just hate seeing those jeans with false pockets! Why bother to even put them on a pair of jeans!
Old 06-26-2024, 07:54 AM

I have a pair of what I cal my fancy jeans, just a top stitched opening with no pocket pouch on the back. When I was working my right hand back pocket had to be reinforced with a iron on patch. I would put my scissors in my back pocket eventually they would wear a hole in the pocket if not for the patch being there.
Old 06-26-2024, 01:32 PM

I too have added to skimpy jeans pockets. They have to be deep enough for my set of keys. Lately I have been looking at scrub pants in the thrift stores (they are so much cooler than jeans in hot weather) and seeing a lot with no pockets at all. My favorite pair of scrubs has multiple pockets.