Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Family of or Police/Military personnel...when you're in public >
  • Family of or Police/Military personnel...when you're in public

• Family of or Police/Military personnel...when you're in public

Old 10-30-2010, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by dettonlisas
    TODAY my hubby shipped out (so he was in FULL gear). As we all walked through the airport Not one person said anything to us (It could have been because we were CRYING). I love it when someone thanks my hubby for his service and it means sooo much to my kids to hear it because it makes our sacrifice a little easier knowing that the people he is going to serve/protect (Americans) appreciate what we all go through. I had an older man come up to my kids a few weeks back and say "Thank you for YOUR service to our Country. I know its not easy lending us your Daddy!" I will NEVER forget that. My kids are 10 & 11 yrs old and I KNOW they were THRILLED to hear it.
    As a military family we hear a TON of negative about the military, so anytime someone takes a moment to say Thank You it is VERY much appreciated.
    PS please pray for my hubby. Thanks, Lisa
    We're all praying for the safe return of your husband and all loved ones. You're right...I would never approach someone who is obviously deploying and when people are crying. That would be so rude to intrude on a private family moment. I'm sure, however, that it broke the hearts of everyone who saw you. Hang in there.
    Old 10-30-2010, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by saraaev
    Hi Judy, Service people only pay for their own travel if they are on personal leave. The Govt pays for ALL duty related travel. Each of them also get a food allowance each month in their checks. Did u know the bigest misconception is that they don't havee to pay taxes ! They do !saraaev
    Just FYI
    They get a food allowance but they have to pay when the show up to the defact (chow hall)!! When the kids and I went to eat Thanksgiving dinner with my hubby we had to pay $8 ea.
    Old 10-30-2010, 08:41 AM

I believe you. I was told that during the WWII at the USO which the Red Cross catered donuts/coffee, our soldiers had to pay for the donuts/coffee. THis was told to me by an old veteran of that war. Talk about using using using our soldiers while the (you know who) sit in their warm, dry homes at their dinner table to enjoy hot meals. What we do not know at the present time, I am afraid would scare the beegeebeers out of us. God bless our soldiers past and presnts for giving their all for us. God Bless all of them and keep them safe and bring them home, So we can thank them in any way we can.
    Old 10-30-2010, 09:03 AM

[quote=Connie Merritt]I believe you. I was told that during the WWII at the USO which the Red Cross catered donuts/coffee, our soldiers had to pay for the donuts/coffee. THis was told to me by an old veteran of that war.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Yes, I heard that many years ago from servicemen in my family, and when I was on the board of our local Red Cross, I was proud to brag that I could bring home any serviceman in the world within 18 hours. I was able to tap into military phone lines and contact the serviceman's commanding officers and have him sent home. I had first contacted local hospitals/and or police to confirm the details of why this person was needed at home so urgently, and authorized the commanders to send this person home, if at all possible. As for the selling coffee and doughnuts, family members were angry for years about that. I also heard the other side of it which made some of the older members of the Red Cross foam at the mouth at such horrid rules in war time. Here's an Internet search find...
    ========================

A.World War II ended almost 50 years ago but Dear Abby or Dear Ann Landers continue to mention in their columns complaints from people who remember or have heard about the awful things the Red Cross did during the war.

1.The most nefarious: the selling of doughnuts, coffee, and other refreshments to soldiers in the so called rear areas? (behind the front lines).

2.This was upsetting to soldiers because the Red Cross has traditionally dispensed such items for free.

B.The truth is that Red Cross officials and volunteers were just as upset about the sales as were the soldiers. The Red Cross was ordered to sell the refreshments rather than give them away as planned by Secretary of War Henry Stimson in 1942. Noting that American soldiers in Europe had more money than their Allied counterparts, Stimson feared that morale among the Allied troops was suffering. American soldier received refreshments free; Allied soldiers had to pay for them. To make living conditions more even, in the hopes of improving morale, Stimson ordered the Red Cross to charge for refreshments in the rear area. Mobile units that served at the front lines were exempted from the order and did not charge.

C. Although the incident occurred 50 years ago, many soldiers and their families continue to believe that the Red Cross used the war as a moneymaking opportunity. Nothing could be further from the truth.

II.Myths about World War II

A.The Red Cross sold cigarettes, blankets, and other "comfort" items during WWII. The truth: if cigarettes or other such items that were designated as free were sold, it was illegal and in violation of Red Cross policy. It is believed that a few unscrupulous people did sell those items provided by the Red Cross, but it was for personal gain, not to help the Red Cross.
    In addition, Red Cross could not control items given to a serviceman then sold by the service member to others.

B.The Red Cross sold blood during the war. The truth: The American Red Cross collected more than 13 million pints of blood for use in the was effort at home and abroad, but administered no blood to the wounded anywhere in the world. Neither did it ever charge anyone for blood. Once the blood was turned over to military or civilian hospitals, it was out of Red Cross control.

C.The Red Cross indiscriminately refused to provide travel funds for some service men during the war. The truth: Travel funds for service personnel were routinely provided when the commanding officer of an individuals unit authorized emergency leave orderes. The Red Cross also authorized pre-embarkation and post-embarkation furloughs, but the cost became so great as troop strength increased, that these ordinary leave loans had to be discontinued in 1944 as they interfered with other more essential military services. A total of $2.5 million loans were made during the war.

Today, as always, military commanders make decisions about emergency leaves. Red Cross provides verified information about the family or home situation prompting the emergency."
    Old 10-30-2010, 09:10 AM

Each of them also get a food allowance each month in their checks.
    --------------------------------
    And a lot of them have families whom they value far above their own lives, and often willingly miss meals to save money for their kids or wife. A lot of military get such marvelous salaries that they are eligible for food stamps.
    Old 10-30-2010, 11:25 AM

Thank you for the information on the Red Cross. Some I still do not understand but realize that the orders and/or conditions allowed came from soneone, shall we say higher up?

There was a personal experience but I will not tell that at this time.

I am proud of all the American citizens who have unselfishly knitted, quilted, crochet, packed care or love boxes and anything else, heavens including the children who have also done their share of supporting our troops. The only question I have here is: Why the government (or whoever) give our soldiers the helmet insert that was badly needed for them? Otherwise, we Americans love our country and we 100% support it and our soldiers. God Bless the people who found out what was needed and took care of that need. So to all of you I say, Thank you with a smile.
    Old 10-30-2010, 11:35 AM

My daughter is a police sargent in a large city. Please stop and say thank you to them/her. (You may not get to leave....she loves to talk to people!! LOL! She is a verbal judo expert!) I worry and pray for her everyday...I've heard her stories...I know the stress she's under.
    My vote is to say "Thank You" to any service member/police officer you run into!
    Old 10-30-2010, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Connie Merritt
    Thank you for the information on the Red Cross. Some I still do not understand but realize that the orders and/or conditions allowed came from soneone, shall we say higher up?

There was a personal experience but I will not tell that at this time.

I am proud of all the American citizens who have unselfishly knitted, quilted, crochet, packed care or love boxes and anything else, heavens including the children who have also done their share of supporting our troops. The only question I have here is: Why the government (or whoever) give our soldiers the helmet insert that was badly needed for them? Otherwise, we Americans love our country and we 100% support it and our soldiers. God Bless the people who found out what was needed and took care of that need. So to all of you I say, Thank you with a smile.
    Sorry mistake in the sentence regarding helmets. government DID NOT give our soldiers the helmet inserts, thanks.
    Old 10-30-2010, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by dettonlisas
    it means sooo much to my kids to hear it because it makes our sacrifice a little easier . . .
    Lets thank the uniform member and their family (if present). As former Navy and currently/still a Navy spouse, if you notice family with the uniformed member, PLEASE also thank the families for the sacrifices they also endure. As a spouse, we keep things going on the home front so our uniform members can focus on their mission. Spouses left behind are "part-time single-parents" and have a hard time with their careers (too much moving). Kids live without the influence of both parents for a significant period of time . . . not to mention how many schools and friends they move away from. I've been thanked only once for supporting my husband in his mission to keep our country safe. It was a beautiful moment and one I will never forget!
    Old 10-31-2010, 06:11 AM

I believe taking the moment when we have the opportunity to thank a service member, police, and fire personnel is the right thing to do. They put their lives on the line to protect our freedoms and make sure we are safe and the very least we can do is express our appreciation and gratitude! Personally I am sick to death of the people who find such joy in demeaning them in anyway they can find.