Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Flat Rate Envelopes Denied! >
  • Flat Rate Envelopes Denied!

• Flat Rate Envelopes Denied!

Old 02-03-2011, 12:48 PM

Ok, just got back from making all my deliveries at the post office.

I had 2 fully-stuffed padded FREs, but didn't put them on the counter until all the other padded FREs were finished. The majority of mine were at least an inch thick, and the postal worker chatted with me as he processed them. (I tape all four corners of all my pages and in the middle too - because I'm a tape freak.)

Well, when I pulled out the last 2 Padded FREs, I could tell he wanted to say something, but didn't. And then when he gave me the total to pay, he leaned in real close to tell me something...and this is how the conversation went:

Postal Worker: "ya know, I'm really not suppose to take these bigger ones because you have alot of tape on them."

Me: (thinking to myself - they have the same amount of tape as the others...)

Me: "I just recently read your newly published 'Customer's Guide to Mailing' on your website and didn't see anything about that".

Postal Worker: "Well tell me what it says, so I don't give out the wrong information".

Me: "The padded FREs are NOT subject to the 3/4" thickness rule like the cardboard FREs and taping it is okay as long as the flap can close on it's own".

Postal Worker: "Oh, okay, thanks for letting me know."

Me: "Hey, no problem - glad I could help you out"...Chuckle, chuckle...oh and by the way, here are some of the Padded FREs that I promised to bring to the post office."

Postal Worker: "OH MAN! - Thanks! - You're the Best!!"

...and I walked out with a smile and left them smiling too!

Which goes to show you, they aren't very informed of their own policies...they are just repeating what is floating in their rumor mill of information.
    Old 02-03-2011, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by susiequilt
    Did you ask about the small flat rate box?
    That's sill the same rate as the envelope as far as I know.
    The envelopes and the boxes are priced differently. I used it for magazines but was told (and read it) that if you can get it in the "parcel" and it can be closed in the normal manner, go for it. You can cut down a box if you wish, but pay the box price. Doesn't matter the contents. And I live in SW Washington state, too! Go to a different PO or print out the regulations to give to the mis-informed worker.
    Good luck!

Here's the link:
    http://www.usps.com/prices/priority-mail-prices.htm
    Old 02-03-2011, 01:04 PM
    jme

That's no good.
    Old 02-03-2011, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by fmd36
    Shipping costs are going thru the roof. I got a pillow from a vendor yesterday and the invoice inside said shipping UPS was 14.95....one small pillow! Yikes.
    Just for clarification. UPS and USPS are two different ways to ship.
    The PM from Washington is right...the package must be able to seal on its original glue strip before using tape. Packaging must not be reconfigured from its original form (no cutting the box and reshaping it and then taping). If you use a Flat Rate container, you should be charged the Flat Rate price.
    If the package is forced shut with tape, then you're not using the package properly. If you cross out Flat Rate and write Priority Mail, you will be charged Flat Rate price or it will be denied. Flat Rate is for Flat Rate, Priority is for Piority. (I find my Priority shipments get there withing 2 days, most of the time, so I don't understand snailmail.)
    Also, even though certain companies show they shipped an item, it may be in their "ready to go" stack, but they may keep it several more days before they actually put it out to be picked up. That gives the PO a bad reputation.
    Look up the USPS site the PM from Washington stated (she's here to help you so take her advice), print the information and select your form of shipment accordingly. Of course you'll have to reprint any prices should they change.
    Old 02-03-2011, 02:36 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I just mailed at least 15 packages of legal size FRE's out that were between 3-4 inches thick With tape across flap and two addt'l pieces of packing tape all the way around the package creating a cross with no problems....
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-139478.jpe  
    Old 02-03-2011, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by BevF
    Originally Posted by fmd36
    Shipping costs are going thru the roof. I got a pillow from a vendor yesterday and the invoice inside said shipping UPS was 14.95....one small pillow! Yikes.
    Just for clarification. UPS and USPS are two different ways to ship.
    The PM from Washington is right...the package must be able to seal on its original glue strip before using tape. Packaging must not be reconfigured from its original form (no cutting the box and reshaping it and then taping). If you use a Flat Rate container, you should be charged the Flat Rate price.
    If the package is forced shut with tape, then you're not using the package properly. If you cross out Flat Rate and write Priority Mail, you will be charged Flat Rate price or it will be denied. Flat Rate is for Flat Rate, Priority is for Piority. (I find my Priority shipments get there withing 2 days, most of the time, so I don't understand snailmail.)
    Also, even though certain companies show they shipped an item, it may be in their "ready to go" stack, but they may keep it several more days before they actually put it out to be picked up. That gives the PO a bad reputation.
    Look up the USPS site the PM from Washington stated (she's here to help you so take her advice), print the information and select your form of shipment accordingly. Of course you'll have to reprint any prices should they change.
    I was allowed to cut the box down from (example) 4" deep to 2" deep rather than have to fill with paper or "popcorn" for the same price.
    PO said "OK" and went thru just fine.
    Old 02-03-2011, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    I mailed a bunch of them stuffed on monday and no problem. I also shipped parcels that were less that the 10.75 and 15.00 but it is so much now. So shipping is costing more. I was shocked too. Even parcel is only a few cents less than priority. Go figure. I am glad I have a tiny post office that will work with me to figure out the new rules. Hope none of them come back. I hate changes. Honestly.
    I shipped a small box today that would have cost $4.90 parcel post rate. When I checked priority for 14 ounces, it was still $4.90. So parcel was same as priority for that weight. Didn't use to be that way!
    Old 02-03-2011, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
    http://www.prioritymail.com/flatrate...467&ssno=26968

this pic of the padded flat rate envelope doesn't say anything about flat documents...but the other flat rate ones do say documents or manuscripts.
    this sight is showing 3-envelope sizes also the padded one
    envelope #6...left side...good for legal documents.
    envelope #3...bottom right...good for documents/manuscripts
    envelope #8...bottom right...over sized greeting cards
    "GOOD FOR" in no way means that is all you can ship in it.
    Old 02-03-2011, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
    Ok, just got back from making all my deliveries at the post office.

I had 2 fully-stuffed padded FREs, but didn't put them on the counter until all the other padded FREs were finished. The majority of mine were at least an inch thick, and the postal worker chatted with me as he processed them. (I tape all four corners of all my pages and in the middle too - because I'm a tape freak.)

Well, when I pulled out the last 2 Padded FREs, I could tell he wanted to say something, but didn't. And then when he gave me the total to pay, he leaned in real close to tell me something...and this is how the conversation went:

Postal Worker: "ya know, I'm really not suppose to take these bigger ones because you have alot of tape on them."

Me: (thinking to myself - they have the same amount of tape as the others...)

Me: "I just recently read your newly published 'Customer's Guide to Mailing' on your website and didn't see anything about that".

Postal Worker: "Well tell me what it says, so I don't give out the wrong information".

Me: "The padded FREs are NOT subject to the 3/4" thickness rule like the cardboard FREs and taping it is okay as long as the flap can close on it's own".

Postal Worker: "Oh, okay, thanks for letting me know."

Me: "Hey, no problem - glad I could help you out"...Chuckle, chuckle...oh and by the way, here are some of the Padded FREs that I promised to bring to the post office."

Postal Worker: "OH MAN! - Thanks! - You're the Best!!"

...and I walked out with a smile and left them smiling too!

Which goes to show you, they aren't very informed of their own policies...they are just repeating what is floating in their rumor mill of information.

Barb...
    are you able to get as much in the padded as you were the flat rate envelope ?
    Old 02-03-2011, 03:46 PM

I never cared for the cardboard FREs...I could only get 3-4 yards in them.

I can get more in the padded FREs - 7yds was my best one. I can easily get 5-6 without fighting with the envelope.