Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Flat Rate Envelopes Denied! >
  • Flat Rate Envelopes Denied!

• Flat Rate Envelopes Denied!

Old 02-02-2011, 07:48 PM

http://www.prioritymail.com/flatrate...467&ssno=26968

this pic of the padded flat rate envelope doesn't say anything about flat documents...but the other flat rate ones do say documents or manuscripts.
    Old 02-02-2011, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by mim
    try a different PO -- sometimes the smaller POs are nicer. If they don't generate enough business they could be closed so they really try to be good to you

Mim

Mim
    I tried several. Both big and ity bity. Was told the same thing at all of them :(
    Old 02-02-2011, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
    http://www.prioritymail.com/flatrate...467&ssno=26968

this pic of the padded flat rate envelope doesn't say anything about flat documents...but the other flat rate ones do say documents or manuscripts.
    And then here is another new brochure...which contradicts this other one I have posted. Pg 5 indicates all the flat rate envelopes (padded too) are for thin documents....whereas the other link I provided indicated the padded flat rate envelope could be used for items such as small electronics and jewelry...
    Old 02-02-2011, 08:05 PM

So did I. But I was told that the "if it fits, its ships" applies but you cannot change the shape of the envelope or box. So if there is any sort of bulge it wont be accepted even with the boxes. And yes very disappointing :([/quote]

You cannot cut and tape the box, thus changing the shape. A slight bulge should be acceptable. There are flat rate boxes that may be just as inexpensive to ship. The PostMasters around here are kind enough to help people find the most economica way for a person to ship. See if your will do the same. I don't know how much you're shipping, but maybe even more sturdy manilla envelopes would work.
    Old 02-02-2011, 08:06 PM

So did I. But I was told that the "if it fits, its ships" applies but you cannot change the shape of the envelope or box. So if there is any sort of bulge it wont be accepted even with the boxes. And yes very disappointing :([/quote]
    _____
    You cannot cut and tape the box, thus changing the shape. A slight bulge should be acceptable. There are flat rate boxes that may be just as inexpensive to ship. The PostMasters around here are kind enough to help people find the most economica way for a person to ship. See if your will do the same. I don't know how much you're shipping, but maybe even more sturdy manilla envelopes would work.
    Old 02-02-2011, 08:22 PM

I was able to get the padded FRE at my local post office...maybe ask again as they are so new.

I haven't had trouble with taping the envelopes, as long as it was sealed properly first.

Something else I was told...never take apart the FRE/FRB and turn inside out to use and try to mail it for less than the flat rate charge-they somehow know it is a FRE/FRB and that is the charge that you will need to mail.
    Old 02-02-2011, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by ljfox
    I am a Postmaster and if your post office clerk is telling you that you can only ship documents in the flat rate envelopes then I would ask to talk with the Postmaster. There is no such rule. As long as your envelope can seal on its own before you tape it then it costs the flat rate of 4.95. It can be lumpy, lopsided, whatever, as long as you can close it properly and you didn't open the sides of the envelope to make it bigger. If you don't get satisfaction from the postmaster, then go to USPS.com and file a complaint and ask for it to be excalated to consumer affairs since you already spoke to the postmaster. The new padded envelopes are available on the webside also. Sorry for your bad experience, you shouldn't be treated that way.
    GOD BLESS YOU!!!!! This was my interpretation of the rules but we would usually never question a postmaster. Thank you!!!!
    Old 02-03-2011, 04:47 AM
    Banned

Just as an FYI, I was burned twice by items shipped through the Post Office and I'm the one out the money and the items even though I had tracking numbers and delivery confirmations, etc. Loooonnnnggg Story!! Anyway, I was talking with a friend and they suggested I sign up for a free Fed Ex account and then my shipping would be #1 - cheaper, #2 - faster and #3 - safer. Well, if I need to send something larger than an envelope, I use Fed Ex and what a difference the whole experience is. Last Christmas I shipped 2 boxes to family that were a total of about 32 lbs. and my cost was only $11. I printed the labels online, they have my credit card on file and once the shipment arrives and is accepted, THEN they charge my card. It is so worth the little bit of time to sign up!
    Old 02-03-2011, 04:51 AM
    Power Poster

you need to use flat rate tyvek envelopes, not document envelopes. the document envelopes are for documents...not news, just some folks mistakenly grab the incorrect packaging. if it is an envelope and cardboard...it is for documents...if it is a large (like a manila envelope) and made out of white tyvek you can put fabric in it, it does not have to be flat.
    Old 02-03-2011, 05:09 AM

I think it all depends on the employees of the PO. I send them out for the Navy guys and I stuff them and tape them but sometimes the employees frown and say they'll allow it this one time...I just smile and say thank you!!!

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    I just sent a few out and they went.. and they were stuffed!!