• General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Flat Rate Envelopes Denied! >
  • Flat Rate Envelopes Denied!

• Flat Rate Envelopes Denied!

Old 02-03-2011, 05:38 AM
    MTS
    Banned

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    you need to use flat rate tyvek envelopes, not document envelopes. the document envelopes are for documents...not news, just some folks mistakenly grab the incorrect packaging. if it is an envelope and cardboard...it is for documents...if it is a large (like a manila envelope) and made out of white tyvek you can put fabric in it, it does not have to be flat.
    Doesn't exist.
    Old 02-03-2011, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    you need to use flat rate tyvek envelopes, not document envelopes. the document envelopes are for documents...not news, just some folks mistakenly grab the incorrect packaging. if it is an envelope and cardboard...it is for documents...if it is a large (like a manila envelope) and made out of white tyvek you can put fabric in it, it does not have to be flat.
    the tyvek PM envelopes are not flat rate, wish they were!!!
    Old 02-03-2011, 05:43 AM

The last things I shipped were outreageou!! The prices went up in Jan to help cover the lack of snail mail because of computers. Funny , it's O.K. if we are all put out of work because high tech and our factories closed by the thousands but the US Gov feels that snail mail should last forever!!! The Pony Express is gone folks!!!
    Old 02-03-2011, 06:21 AM

That is really strange. I just sent out 16 flat rate envelopes yesterday and they were so stuffed, I had to tape them closed. It was not fabric.
    Old 02-03-2011, 06:26 AM

I just shipped a flat rate full of wood mounted rubber stamps across the US with no problem. You never know what quirky "rule" you are going to hear at individual post offices. I do a lot of ebay shipping and like to take pkgs to the PO about a mile from me. Recently the manager told me that I could not bring packages there because my zip code was different than theirs. Yeh, a scratch your head moment. I phoned USPS consumer affairs for an official word on it and they asked if I wanted to file a complaint because there is no such "rule".
    Old 02-03-2011, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by SoozeeDoozee
    I just shipped a flat rate full of wood mounted rubber stamps across the US with no problem. You never know what quirky "rule" you are going to hear at individual post offices. I do a lot of ebay shipping and like to take pkgs to the PO about a mile from me. Recently the manager told me that I could not bring packages there because my zip code was different than theirs. Yeh, a scratch your head moment. I phoned USPS consumer affairs for an official word on it and they asked if I wanted to file a complaint because there is no such "rule".
    I had the same issue one time...but the lady explained to me, that my on-line printed shipping label (which gets scanned), would show my "starting" destination as my hometown, when in fact I was in another town.....so I had to fill out a new envelope with a handwritten label (same info, just handwritten).
    Old 02-03-2011, 06:48 AM
    MTS
    Banned

It seems the other problem, from reading these posts, is the receiving post office.

Your post office, whether the same zip or not as the one on the package :roll: , might accept a stuffed FRE.

But when it gets to its destination, THAT postmaster might be demanding additional payment from the recipients because of the stuffed nature of the FRE. As a seller, it's hugely embarrassing, not to mention potentially costly.

So for the fabric shippers - and I'm not talking about Hancock's or eQuilter as they have economies of scale, and can (and do) pass the cost along - the black hole is the $6 bucks between the FRE/FRsmall box and the FR medium box.

I think I'm just going to start weighing the tyvek envelopes and charging the $7-$9 as to not put myself or the buyer in the position of having any problems on "questionable" packages (as defined by some self-appointed autocrat at the LPO).

And I usually love a good fight. Frankly, I'm just too tired to deal with the post office.
    Old 02-03-2011, 06:58 AM

I have a 1/4 yd of fabric,3.84 cents.It costs more to mail it out than it was to buy it.
    Old 02-03-2011, 07:14 AM

Are you using the right ones? I just sent out 8 of them and I stuff them. Someone gave you the wrong info. go to the USPS.com website you can even find the info there.
    Old 02-03-2011, 07:18 AM

I think the clerks at the PO get a "Creativity Bonus" for making up rules as they go along.

I find the regional Customer Service reps are VERY helpful and will go to bat for you. Very intelligent too. Once you find the tollfree number for yours, engrave it on the cover of your address book and never lose it!!

I once printed an online label when my printer was running out of ink, and the CSR called the post office where it was going to, to let them know it was OK.