• Flat Rate Envelopes Denied!

Old 02-03-2011, 08:33 AM
    MTS
    Banned

Originally Posted by np3
    Originally Posted by MTS
    Originally Posted by np3
    Originally Posted by ckcowl
    you need to use flat rate tyvek envelopes, not document envelopes. the document envelopes are for documents...not news, just some folks mistakenly grab the incorrect packaging. if it is an envelope and cardboard...it is for documents...if it is a large (like a manila envelope) and made out of white tyvek you can put fabric in it, it does not have to be flat.
    Tyvek doesn't have a flat rate envelope, that is a usps program.
    Um, she was referring to the material that the envelopes are made of, as opposed to the regular FRE's, which are made of cardboard.
    Both usps flat rate envelopes are made of cardboard, one has bubble wrap in it. The white tyvek envelopes are not flat rate and not free at the PO.
    Huh?
    Old 02-03-2011, 08:48 AM
    Power Poster

The white tyvek envelopes are free at the post office here. I have never paid for them. They add no weight at all to what you are mailing. I use them all the time. The gray plastic packages are what my mail prescriptions meds are mailed it, and many quilt books I order come in the gray plastic envelopes.
    Old 02-03-2011, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    The white tyvek envelopes are free at the post office here. I have never paid for them. They add no weight at all to what you are mailing. I use them all the time. The gray plastic packages are what my mail prescriptions meds are mailed it, and many quilt books I order come in the gray plastic envelopes.
    I can get all the boxes, etc. (including the tyvex envelopes) free from the customer service/shipping dept. at Office Depot....and they are nice to deal with. You can also ship your packages from there at normal post office rates....
    Old 02-03-2011, 09:00 AM

Shipping costs are going thru the roof. I got a pillow from a vendor yesterday and the invoice inside said shipping UPS was 14.95....one small pillow! Yikes.
    Old 02-03-2011, 09:32 AM
    Power Poster

i was told the same thing, but i'm gonna try a diff po this month
    Old 02-03-2011, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by QKO
    If you're buying your postage online, you're required to ship it from the same zip code as that one shown on the label you print.

If you're going to ship at a neighboring post office, you really need to put their zip code in the "shipped from" spot, or on your return address.

The post office is not required to ship your package unless you have their zipcode as the shipped-from zipcode.

Basically it's because when you buy your postage online, the post office in the shipped-from gets the credit for the revenue for that, so if you show it was purchased in one zip code and ship it from another, it's sorta like you doing a job and someone else getting paid for your work.
    I have been told this is not true, as long as the ZONE is the same and there would be no difference in price. I have printed postage online and dropped off at different PO's. After all, you can drop it in the big blue box out front and no one will know the difference.
    Old 02-03-2011, 11:16 AM
    np3
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by ptquilts
    Originally Posted by QKO
    If you're buying your postage online, you're required to ship it from the same zip code as that one shown on the label you print.

If you're going to ship at a neighboring post office, you really need to put their zip code in the "shipped from" spot, or on your return address.

The post office is not required to ship your package unless you have their zipcode as the shipped-from zipcode.

Basically it's because when you buy your postage online, the post office in the shipped-from gets the credit for the revenue for that, so if you show it was purchased in one zip code and ship it from another, it's sorta like you doing a job and someone else getting paid for your work.
    I have been told this is not true, as long as the ZONE is the same and there would be no difference in price. I have printed postage online and dropped off at different PO's. After all, you can drop it in the big blue box out front and no one will know the difference.
    It can't be true when you think it through. There isn't a PO in every zip code. I like in a fairly big city with over a dozen zip codes. Not every one of them has a PO within the zip boundaries.
    Old 02-03-2011, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
    I know that this has been brought up a couple of times already but I wanted to let everyone know that all of my flat rate envelope packages that I was going to ship out yesterday were denied. I was told that the flat rate envelopes are for DOCUMENTS only. If they are not flat they WILL NOT be accepted. They had printouts even to show me about it as well as new signs on the wall stating this. I was told that this is not a new rule. Just a rule that they had never enforced before. I went to a few different PO both yesterday and today and was told the same thing by all.

Anyways just wanted to let everyone know. No more fabric

the flat rate envelopes (well at least shipped from me).

Sent a pkg. in envelope to CA. Had no problem and it certainly wasn't flat. Perhaps they aren't making as many $$$$ as they thought they would, so decided to clamp down. They should have let this rule be known in the beginning w/o the deception.
    Old 02-03-2011, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom
    I don't do a lot of flat rate shipping. I know it is easier to pop the item in a F.R. envelope or box, but I'm not so sure it is cheaper.

I did notice about a week or so ago on the USPS.com site they were clamping down on the F.R. envelopes. It couldn't be more than 3/4 inch thick.

Pretty soon FedEx will be the rule.

I did send a pkg. by reg. mail a short time ago and it really was cheaper on that one at least. Haven't tried that since though.
    Old 02-03-2011, 12:35 PM

i was on a quilt shop web site last night and there was a special noticed posted about this , the owner said that from now on if the flat rate package is overstuffed and is out of the original shape they can no longer ship it that way, i thought that was strange but now i see this so the post office is clamping down on the way things are sent