Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Flat Rate Envelopes - Problem solution >
  • Flat Rate Envelopes - Problem solution

• Flat Rate Envelopes - Problem solution

Old 02-16-2011, 09:47 PM
    MTS
    Banned

I spoke to my Postmaster about the FRE issue and he assured me that if it fits, it ships. I was nice to get that settled with the top local official, as that should avoid any potential problems.

The PO's can't get them/won't stock the bubble FRE's but you can easily order them online.

I've gotten a few shipments of the bubble FRE's. I used one the other day, and dropped it off at the counter (which I rarely ever do).

The clerk took one look at it, saw my PayPal prepaid label, and snarled that I had the wrong postage, and I could NOT use the flat rate on that envelope.

Let's just say there was a lot of snarling.

I'm so tired of having to educate the PO employees. If they weren't always so g.d. smug all the time, I could maybe tolerate it.

Her final response was something along the line of "How was I supposed to know that?" ('Cause it's your job.)

Which just led to more snarling.
    From me.

But, wow, you can pack a lot into the padded envelopes. I easily put 6.5 yards of one fabric in, and it closed while totally maintaining its shape. The glue is much better than the cardboard envelope, and I really didn't need to tape anything.
    Old 02-16-2011, 09:59 PM
    Power Poster

Thank you Deb for helping with this, so far so good at my PO and the neighboring town too :D:D:D
    Old 02-17-2011, 06:40 AM

Thanks for mentioning the padded FRE.

Just ordered some online.
    Old 02-17-2011, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
    I spoke to my Postmaster about the FRE issue and he assured me that if it fits, it ships. I was nice to get that settled with the top local official, as that should avoid any potential problems.

The PO's can't get them/won't stock the bubble FRE's but you can easily order them online.

I've gotten a few shipments of the bubble FRE's. I used one the other day, and dropped it off at the counter (which I rarely ever do).

The clerk took one look at it, saw my PayPal prepaid label, and snarled that I had the wrong postage, and I could NOT use the flat rate on that envelope.

Let's just say there was a lot of snarling.

I'm so tired of having to educate the PO employees. If they weren't always so g.d. smug all the time, I could maybe tolerate it.

Her final response was something along the line of "How was I supposed to know that?" ('Cause it's your job.)

Which just led to more snarling.
    From me.

But, wow, you can pack a lot into the padded envelopes. I easily put 6.5 yards of one fabric in, and it closed while totally maintaining its shape. The glue is much better than the cardboard envelope, and I really didn't need to tape anything.
    ohhhhh....snarling....hate to say it but I would loved to have been there!
    Old 02-17-2011, 07:49 AM

Deb, what a thoughtful gesture....now if the people who are having problems will hopefully see this and let you know where they are and their particular post office....perfect solution for everyone.

I know there are numerous problems out there but maybe if everyone spoke to their own postmaster about the lack of employee knowledge it would benefit everyone. It is frustrating to know more than an employee but that is the case in many businesses today and is a very disturbing trend.
    Old 02-17-2011, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmaker
    Deb, what a thoughtful gesture....now if the people who are having problems will hopefully see this and let you know where they are and their particular post office....perfect solution for everyone.

I know there are numerous problems out there but maybe if everyone spoke to their own postmaster about the lack of employee knowledge it would benefit everyone. It is frustrating to know more than an employee but that is the case in many businesses today and is a very disturbing trend.
    And what is the real bugger for me, is that people who want to join swaps and use this as the send/return get discouraged and then don't join!
    Old 02-17-2011, 10:14 AM

I have been trying to find out for weeks now what the "regional rate " is --they have four boxes for that--and NO one at the PO can tell me--online search did not help wither!
    Old 02-17-2011, 11:47 AM
    MTS
    Banned

Those boxes work well. However, the Regional Priority boxes are NOT flat rate.

http://www.usps.com/shipping/regionalratebox.htm
    Old 02-17-2011, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by MTS
    Those boxes work well. However, the Regional Priority boxes are NOT flat rate.

http://www.usps.com/shipping/regionalratebox.htm
    That is what I was trying to find out---just took the PO sub THREE days to get the information!
    Old 02-17-2011, 12:36 PM

just a note on my happy experience with po. took in a squishie bom and agent stamped "hand cancel" without me even having to ask. went back to mail my row robin in a bubble envelope. the agent took without any problems and even smiled. this po is great.

now, down the road a bit, there is another office that is staffed by snarlers. luckily i have a choice of which one i go to.

remember when giving deb the info, if you have more than one po in your city you need to give the zip code.