Free! Bread Machine

Old 04-30-2011, 03:10 PM

If it's like the one I had, I found that I got the bread out easier if I rubbed the top of the glass dome with butter. It didn't swell up and stick to it anymore.
Gave it to son when he got married, I like to pound my own bread on the counter. Removes air bubbles and removes my own irritations when I can pound the heck out of some dough.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:37 PM

I don't know if this is the same machine you have, but maybe it's similar. I love my machines. I started with one that I found in a Salvation Army store for half price which made it only $2. Then a couple of years later my son found one at a yard sale that was identical. He wanted to buy it, and I didn't think I needed it. It was only $5, and with his convincing it came home with us. I figured that when my first one quit, I'd have a backup. But, then I started baking more and figured out how to do sourdough bread. So now I'm using both in tandem at times. lol I have a relative of a friend that wants 5 loaves on Monday! My first rather large request. Now, I'm glad I have two machines. Usually I just use the dough setting, since I like to bake it in the oven. It gives me more control on the the look and shape of the loaf. -----

TonnieLoree - If this is like your machine or similar, I would be happy to help you get used to recipes and how to make it work the best for you, just pm me and I'll help anyway I can.
Peggy

My two bread machines
[ATTACH=CONFIG]191354[/ATTACH]

top view
[ATTACH=CONFIG]191355[/ATTACH]

the controls
[ATTACH=CONFIG]191356[/ATTACH]

and I have a book!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]191357[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-191348.jpe   attachment-191349.jpe   attachment-191350.jpe   attachment-191351.jpe  
Old 05-01-2011, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by peggymunday
I don't know if this is the same machine you have, but maybe it's similar. I love my machines. I started with one that I found in a Salvation Army store for half price which made it only $2. Then a couple of years later my son found one at a yard sale that was identical. He wanted to buy it, and I didn't think I needed it. It was only $5, and with his convincing it came home with us. I figured that when my first one quit, I'd have a backup. But, then I started baking more and figured out how to do sourdough bread. So now I'm using both in tandem at times. lol I have a relative of a friend that wants 5 loaves on Monday! My first rather large request. Now, I'm glad I have two machines. Usually I just use the dough setting, since I like to bake it in the oven. It gives me more control on the the look and shape of the loaf. -----

TonnieLoree - If this is like your machine or similar, I would be happy to help you get used to recipes and how to make it work the best for you, just pm me and I'll help anyway I can.
Peggy
I think I figured out mine was a 1 1/2 loaf by adding water to the "fill" line, then measuring it out. The control panel on yours is slightly different than mine, but I'm sure they all work the same way. I figured out that is "steps" you through your options, and I just make my selection and press start. The main problem I had yesterday was I lost power in my kitchen and bathroom for a while. The men who are working in the basement didn't tell me they needed to cut the power, or I would never have attempted to bake bread then. I've got a ton of recipes; isn't the internet great! I'm still waiting to hear from Sunbeam about a users guide. I'll probably survive without one though. Thank you so much for taking the time to post pictures of your girls for me! I was thinking of taking the dough out and baking in the oven myself, then I realized I still haven't purchased any bread pans. Starting over from nothing has been a financial challenge! I realized that when I wanted to make coffee for a house-guest and I didn't even have a coffee pot, or mugs to drink from. At least that problem has been rectified now. :thumbup:
Old 05-01-2011, 07:31 AM

mzsooz: Thank you! That looks like a great recipe! I have all of the ingredients too. I'll let you know how it comes out.
Tonnie
Old 05-01-2011, 07:34 AM

Tonnie- I bought a Panasonic bread machine a couple of months ago, and, being a person who always plays around with recipes, I've had a few "oops" loaves, but stick with it- it's worth it!
Old 05-01-2011, 07:34 AM

Sounds like you have a good start. If my owners guide can help you at all, let me know. I could scan and send to you in an email. As for bread pans, check the thrift shops - most of mine have come from there and you can find some really good bargains. I've got sizes ranging from a cutesy 2"x4" (several actually, makes good gift size) up to 6"x9" pans. It's nice to have several to choose from. Don't ya just love the smell of baking bread....
Old 05-01-2011, 07:42 AM

My favorite - a nice Italian - one just started in fact:

3.5 cups flour
1 teas salt
1 teas instant yeast
1.5 cup water
1/2 to 3/4 cup of soudough starter or biga*

You can use half white and half wheat or less wheat, bread flour or all purpose. All will yield different textures.

*biga is a sweet starter: 3/4 teas yeast, 1.75 cup water, 3.5 cups flour, mix well and refigerate for at least 24 hours. Stays good for 2 weeks toward the end of which I scoop into bags and freeze. The I just set one out at room temp for a bit and I'm good to go.