Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Fridge water filters are in every new fridge! >
  • Fridge water filters are in every new fridge!

• Fridge water filters are in every new fridge!

Old 11-02-2020, 02:40 PM

For those of you with fridges that dispense water and/or ice, make sure that your insurance stipulates that it will cover damage if the water line breaks and causes a flood. Especially important if a person is away for an extended time and does not use/have a turn off switch on that line.
    Old 11-03-2020, 11:25 AM

We don't have an ice maker or water dispenser in our fridge. Our well water is gross, and filtering it doesn't help enough to make us want to drink it. I hope when the time comes, I can find something without these things. But I do want a new fridge because when we bought ours, we had about 2 to choose from because of the size of our opening. Now we have a little more leeway so more choices (hopefully). I really want a bottom freezer.
    Old 11-08-2020, 05:22 PM

Just bought myself a French door frig for my apartment. Miss my old frig in the house which had ice and water thru the door. We had softened filtered water for the whole house and the old frig came with a bypass cap and a filter but we never used the filter since the water was already filtered. Miss my icemaker. Can't have an icemaker since the frig is not near my kitchen sink.....
    Filtration does make a difference... But when I was shopping there where regular frigs available ... don't need to get anything fancy ....
    Old 11-08-2020, 10:37 PM

We just bought a new French door fridge - and I love it. It has an ice maker and water dispenser but not in the door. My DH was first looking at the fancy doors and the computer stuff, but it was too much nonsense to me. It's just the 2 of us and if I need to know what's in there when I am at the store I will call my DH or buy what I think I need. We have filtered water in the house and our prior fridge had the filters which were rarely changed because we didn't use the fridge for water. And the ice maker died after a couple of years. Since I handled homeowners claims for many years I saw a lot of refrigerator water lines fail and so I never would have one because we have hardwood floors. But there have been a lot of improvements since I handled them and my DH wanted it (he grew up with an ice maker) so he finally talked me into one about 10 years ago.
    Now if my ice maker dies I will just buy a portable ice maker (they cost about $70.00 and the ice is ready in no time). My friend in AZ has one - they use a lot of ice, and it's wonderful.
    Old 11-09-2020, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy
    We just bought a new French door fridge - and I love it. It has an ice maker and water dispenser but not in the door. My DH was first looking at the fancy doors and the computer stuff, but it was too much nonsense to me. It's just the 2 of us and if I need to know what's in there when I am at the store I will call my DH or buy what I think I need. We have filtered water in the house and our prior fridge had the filters which were rarely changed because we didn't use the fridge for water. And the ice maker died after a couple of years. Since I handled homeowners claims for many years I saw a lot of refrigerator water lines fail and so I never would have one because we have hardwood floors. But there have been a lot of improvements since I handled them and my DH wanted it (he grew up with an ice maker) so he finally talked me into one about 10 years ago.
    Now if my ice maker dies I will just buy a portable ice maker (they cost about $70.00 and the ice is ready in no time). My friend in AZ has one - they use a lot of ice, and it's wonderful.
    Where do you find a portable ice maker for that price?? I've been looking but the ones with any decent reviews are well over $100. I have seen some as low as $80 but they are 1-2 star reviews and I use reviews a lot when I'm shopping for things like this.