Friends and honesty

Old 10-19-2011, 03:32 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewwhat85
imho there is a difference in honesty and and being cruel i believe that in a friendship you can be honest in a loving and kind way. If i think what I am going to say may damage the friendship I would not say it or would try to say it in a different way. It all depends on the value of the friendship.It just like your mom used to tell you if you cant say something nice dont say anything at all.
I agree with you nancy!!!! Course, I put my on spin in it.... My wierd sense of humor....if you can't say something nice, at least make it funny....i am so lucky to have truly good friends that get this about me!!!!
Old 10-19-2011, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by frauhahn
The way I see it, if you can't be honest with a friend, it isn't much of a friendship. . .
A MAN THAT IS SO TRUE FOR BOTH OF YOU
Old 10-19-2011, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
Originally Posted by sewwhat85
imho there is a difference in honesty and and being cruel i believe that in a friendship you can be honest in a loving and kind way. If i think what I am going to say may damage the friendship I would not say it or would try to say it in a different way. It all depends on the value of the friendship.It just like your mom used to tell you if you cant say something nice dont say anything at all.
This is how I feel. Be honest with me but you don't need to be cruel. If I ask you a question, answer me honestly. But don't come up to me and be brutally honest about something that I did not ask about. Being concerned about my weight is one thing, telling me I am a fat, lazy person, is totally another item all together. You have to earn the right to be honest with your friends. It is not a license to criticize.
Ditto ditto....this is how I feel. And the reason I have very few to no friends at all....I would prefer to be alone than be "friends" with someone who feels its their "right" to criticize my life.....especially when they haven't earned it
Old 10-19-2011, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by mamaw
If you lost a friendship because of being honest, would you regret it?
If I lost a friend because of honesty, I would regret having lost a friend, but I would never regret being honest.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by bkb
That is the reason I have a few friends and a lot of accquiantances.! Honesty all the way!
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 10-19-2011, 04:24 AM

You can be honest, but not at the risk of hurting a friend. I would never tell a friend that something is bad. I would say it is interesting, which it is, but I would never say it is ugly or doesn't look good. I am not that kind of person. I wouldn't hurt a friend for anything. I don't lie, but I don't say anything that would jeopardize a friendship or hurt the friend. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. I am smart enough to realize that something I make or do or say may not be right. I don't need someone else to tell me. Sorry, but I can't go overboard with the truthful thing or honesty thing. I will try to bring out what my friend is thinking and then help her without hurting her. Edie
Old 10-19-2011, 04:35 AM

I try to be helpful when asked for advice. Often people cannot face the full truth but if you give them a slice of it they can digest it better. What annoys me greatly is a 'yes man' culture. I see no point in saying only what people want to hear. If I am asked for my opinion I will give it, but I will take care how I present it!
Old 10-19-2011, 04:40 AM

Honesty is important, but method is all. If it makes a difference complete honesty, if it doesn't ....fudge it a bit.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:09 AM

Yes, we need to be honest but not cruel to our friends. Different situations have different solutions. Sometimes a friend asks us a question but they don't really want to know the answer, just want to hear themselves say out loud to someone who understands them what's bothering them. That's the time to listen. I think they are trying to get a clear look at what's bothering them.

When I want to think or work my way through a problem or concern I usually sew up a bunch of quick blocks and go over it in my mind and try to put everything into perspective. Or I come here for advice or to vent.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:11 AM

I would want a true friend to be honest when I ask. But unsolistited honesty if really needed. Too confusing??? sorry