Fundraising for College?

Old 03-23-2010, 11:56 AM

What kind of school are you going to that costs $37k a year???

My oldest daughter is going to college next year, and the least expensive of the state schools cost $6k a year. Others, $10k...some private ones, $20k but even then there are "friends of XYZ school" that have graduated and funnel money back into that particular school. Worth looking into. Also scholarships based on SAT's and high school grades. If you're a minority, a woman, a person with a passion for different things....there's specific scholarships out there for you. Be smart...use the system to your advantage!
Old 03-23-2010, 12:01 PM

whatever you end up doing will be a job, unless you ask for money on the internet. you would have to run a lot of movie nights or sell a lot of somethings to come up with thousands of $$. it might actually be easier and less time-consuming to look for a job. a job would be steady income and you'd know what you could count on. you could offer companion services to shut-ins for example, especially for weekends when their families need to go away. that leaves you free to study at the same time and meals would be included.

i don't know where you can go to school for $6k. in new jersey, rutgers, a state university, costs just about $12k with fees but no campus living. you would have to add on commuter expenses or campus living expenses, which are also plenty high.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Alu_Rathbone
I'm trying to think of ways, other than getting a job (which I am working on so don't bad mouth that please), to raise money for college. I'm trying to cut down on loan amounts. I DO plan on working this summer to help offset loan amounts too but a part time/full time job only pays so much and I have other things to get other than tuition room and board.

One idea I found was holding a Movie Night. If I did that I could hold it at my local library and have a charge at $2-$5 dollars a person and serve popcorn and drinks.

Also I could do a bingo night, but I'm not sure how to go about getting prizes donated.
So does anyone have any ideas of what else I could do?

have you thought about going and getting you license for notary if you could be a notary on call you would have to go to the ones that need something notarized and you charge according to your efforts also you could house sit dog walk maybe do earns for the elderly or take them to the store or Dr. appt.. go to a senior home and post a flyer. also ask around if anyone would be interested
be independent and provide a service. clean homes
im just throwing out some of the things i did when i needed an income
Old 03-23-2010, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
whatever you end up doing will be a job, unless you ask for money on the internet. you would have to run a lot of movie nights or sell a lot of somethings to come up with thousands of $$. it might actually be easier and less time-consuming to look for a job. a job would be steady income and you'd know what you could count on. you could offer companion services to shut-ins for example, especially for weekends when their families need to go away. that leaves you free to study at the same time and meals would be included.

i don't know where you can go to school for $6k. in new jersey, rutgers, a state university, costs just about $12k with fees but no campus living. you would have to add on commuter expenses or campus living expenses, which are also plenty high.
I'm doing this in addition to a job... if i did just a job, I'd still not have enough...

I'm going to a private college and the amount I will owe will be for room, board and the rest of the tuition. I have subsidized loans already and I might be able to get 4000 towards school anyways. I'm working on an essay on a possible 10,000 scholarship that won't be awarded till september but thats providing I win the essay contest and I'm not even sure it's for that school year. I'm on a work study program and I have to live on campus. I'll be on a meal plan and thats the reason I'm looking for a job that I can transfer to the school location.

I'm working as hard as I can to find a job... I can't wait till I go to school.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:56 PM

You asked what kind of quilted items sell. I know we have people on this board who sell things they quilt. I guess smaller items would work better, because you could make them faster.

Check on etsy.com and eBay to see what's selling.

I'd guess potholders, table runners, baby quilts, purses, jackets. Maybe bookmarks and book jackets.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
You asked what kind of quilted items sell. I know we have people on this board who sell things they quilt. I guess smaller items would work better, because you could make them faster.

Check on etsy.com and eBay to see what's selling.

I'd guess potholders, table runners, baby quilts, purses, jackets. Maybe bookmarks and book jackets.
Ahaha! I was thinking about pot holders!!! lol I need to make some for home come to think about it!
Old 03-23-2010, 05:44 PM

Something a bit out of the ordinary is cute little quilted books for kids that help keep them quiet and occupied in places like doctor's offices, church, etc.
These are not the ones done from fabric panels...they are various items that could be manipulated attached with yarn or ribbon to a base page...I've seen ones at various times with tools, dinosaurs, cats, dogs, fairies, Noah's ark, you name it. If you can find a local shop that you can use their die cut machine these would be pretty quick and easy to make. And would not take that much more time to make than the potholders, but would sell for considerably more because of their uniqueness.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by mom-6
Something a bit out of the ordinary is cute little quilted books for kids that help keep them quiet and occupied in places like doctor's offices, church, etc.
These are not the ones done from fabric panels...they are various items that could be manipulated attached with yarn or ribbon to a base page...I've seen ones at various times with tools, dinosaurs, cats, dogs, fairies, Noah's ark, you name it. If you can find a local shop that you can use their die cut machine these would be pretty quick and easy to make. And would not take that much more time to make than the potholders, but would sell for considerably more because of their uniqueness.

thats a good idea
Old 03-24-2010, 12:03 AM

I have seen those & they are so neat! I remember one page being a lg shoe with actual shoe laces that teach the child to tie shoes. I think the shoe was felt and the holes were just punched out for the laces. Another page had a few buttons with a flap with button holes teaching them to button. It was a Quiet Book. The cover was out of Denim and the pages were a good quality Muslin with the edges pinked. A lady was in the waiting room at the Drs. Offc back in the Fall with her little one & it kept him quiet & busy.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:10 AM

Sorry for the length of this, but how about looking at the college as your marketplace and find a service or product to sell on campus? You’ll have to think realistically about what space might be available to you in your dorm room and on campus and not plan projects that will require too much equipment. If you pick something that needs space, such as laying out fabric for cutting, etc., see if there is a student activity area where you can use a table (which might drum up more business for you when people come over to see what you are doing). Another caution would be not to over-commit yourself, especially during mid-terms and finals, so if you take special orders, be sure you can deliver.

1. If you don’t already know how, spend the next few months and the summer learning basic garment tailoring and repair. Learn how to do a great job hemming pants or skirts, sewing buttons, and a few other tricks. Put up flyers in dorms and become known as the girl who knows how to sew.

2. Investigate the many online sewing and crafting sites and narrow down one or two totebag or backpack patterns and practice to see which is fairly easy to sew (you won’t want to have to spend too much time on them). Pick something cute but that would also be useful for hauling around stuff on campus. Add lots of pockets for cell phones, ipod, etc. Learn to make well constructed seams that will hold up to heavy use and use sturdy, good quality fabric. Then make up a dozen in different trendy fabrics, denim, school colors, etc. Personalize each with funky buttons, ribbons, etc. You can look at thrift stores for things to use for accent pieces, or fabric you can recycle (I've seen some great bags using recycled jeans, including the pockets, belt tabs). Then when you hit campus, change out your bag each day and have people ask where you got it (or post a sign, saying “Ask me where I got this bag!”). Sell from your stash or, with caution for your schedule, take special orders. Check pricing at sale sites online so that you can make a reasonable profit.

3. My daughter is very crafty. She learned online how to use freezer paper to cut stencils with an exacto knife and stencil them onto t-shirts. She’s made some amazing custom t-shirts for her family and as gifts. College kids love t-shirts, you’d have a market with guys as well as girls. Again, you’d need to practice a lot this summer and use good quality shirts and the right paints. And launder your shirts a number of times to make sure they hold up well. Then go to campus equipped with 8 or 10 really outstanding examples of your work. On the back of one or two, stencil “Ask me where I got this shirt.” Put up flyers. Take orders!

Anyone else with ideas to make money on campus?