FYI- USPS Shipping

Old 11-26-2010, 09:01 PM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by magnolia
I always tape over my labels too, just in case it gets wet. If the label gets wet it would get ruined. I didn't know you weren't supposed to tape over the bar code. I do tape it. How can they scan it if the barcode gets wet?
They can't. But they can read the numbers if it gets wet. So I tape over the numbers and the address and leave the bar code alone.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:05 PM
Power Poster

oh my, they should say that on their site then.
i happen to tape over my address stickers to prevent them from getting wet and smeared. i guess that's why they like them taped over too...
Old 11-26-2010, 09:09 PM

Sorry if I am throwing in my 2 cents here, but when I mail out in other quilt groups (and that's quite a lot too) I always clear tape the entire envelope or package (tape laminated) and then take it to the PO and let them take it from there.
This is to help prevent lost or misdirected mail, because in the past I have received fabrics that were wet from transit (and bad weather)..in some states it's snowing, drizzling, or raining, while in other states it's sunny.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:12 PM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cctx.
Sorry if I am throwing in my 2 cents here, but when I mail out in other quilt groups (and that's quite a lot too) I always clear tape the entire envelope or package (tape laminated) and then take it to the PO and let them take it from there.
This is to help prevent lost or misdirected mail, because in the past I have received fabrics that were wet from transit (and bad weather)..in some states it's snowing, drizzling, or raining, while in other states it's sunny.
I place all of my fabric into a zip lock bag before I put it into an envelope. You can push more air out and make the fabric flatter for mailing. It also keeps out any moisture.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by np3
Originally Posted by cctx.
I place all of my fabric into a zip lock bag before I put it into an envelope. You can push more air out and make the fabric flatter for mailing. It also keeps out any moisture.
Maybe put a return address label inside the bag, in case the package get ruined. (It happens occasionally.)
Old 11-27-2010, 04:00 AM

I thought I read some where that if you put tape on postage, they will refuse it??? Mailing anything other than a simple letter has gotten so confusing. Sigh. And like someone posted above me, no wonder they are going bankrupt. :thumbdown:
Old 11-27-2010, 06:19 AM
Power Poster

Yes, Sherri, I made that mistake. I put stamps on first, then I was worried the edge might tear, so I taped over the stamps. They wouldnt take it, and I had to buy all new stamps.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by np3
I tape over the address because I worry about the weather, not because I have been told to do so. But you cannot tape over the bar code because if they can't scan it, you have to pay the postage all over again. And the post office encourages you to print online so what they told you does not make sense.
I agree, that is what I do. And make sure the numbers under the bar code are taped over as well. Although I heard recently that it is OK to tape the whole label, as long as it is CLEAR tape.
If they can't read the barcode, they can enter the numbers manually - just takes them longer.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:44 AM
DJ

I always tape over mine because I know they smudge if they get damp (inkjet does, anyway).
Old 11-27-2010, 08:02 AM

I print shipping labels from the USPS.com website all the time. When you print the label, half of the printed page contains "Instructions" and #3 of the instructions says: "If tape or glue is used, DO NOT TAPE OVER BARCODE. Be sure the edges are secured."

Sounds like your post office needs to read their own rules.

Originally Posted by Bmanmommy
Just to let everyone know...

I came home from a mini vacation today to find several customer's packages sitting on my porch. There was a note attached to the PILE that said "Undeliverable as PACKAGED". Most were in USPS boxes so how could that be?

I took them to the post office and was informed that you have to tape over the entire label if you print postage online or use one of their labels (that they SELL, not provide for free) when printing from home.

Just wanted to let everyone know that if you are expecting a package from me, it has been delayed and I will be taking the packages back to the post office tomorrow now that I have finished taping across the entire label. Some I even had to print new labels as they had written on them.

This to me, just seems WAY TOO PICKY!!!