Gardeners and quilters??

Old 03-13-2010, 09:37 PM

I love gardening, too...I usually do very little quilting in the summer unless it's late at night. Maybe this year I'll get some hand piecing/applique done by the pool...or maybe I'll fall really behind the DJ sew along!! =)
Old 03-13-2010, 09:37 PM

I haven't done much gardening in the last 6 years since we lived in a condo and had very little yard space. I always planted some flowers in the front yard and had rhubarb around the back deck but that was the extent of my gardening. But we bought an old house in October and it has plenty of space for a garden and a yard that needs a LOT of work. I have some physical limitations, but I hope to be able to do a little yard work each morning and get a garden put in. It will probably be a few years before I have the yard the way I want. But, I don't plan on doing any less sewing! Just a little less tv watching and computer games! LOL
Old 03-13-2010, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Honey
For me, mornings are for gardening, afternoons for quilting and evenings for sitting on the porch swing reading. I squeeze the unimportant things (housework, cooking, laundry) inbetween!! Spring, summer and fall are to short around here to waste a minute.
This is what I do, too. I sometimes feel like I need to have a
whole day in the garden, and then I don't read, just sew.
YTQ
Old 03-13-2010, 10:17 PM
Power Poster

I have to agree with you all. I love gardening and it would be a dull life to be tied down to just one hobby. I garden in the morning and when it heats up too much, or I am just too tired from the heavy work, I sew, make jewelry, draw or paint, crochet or clean house. There is always something to do or make.
By the way anyone take advantage of the cottage gardens or roberta's from qvc this season? They sure have been showing some nice plants. I have been pouring over the spring plant catalogs too. So many plants, so few places left to put them ... LOL!
Old 03-13-2010, 10:31 PM

LOL I've tossed all of my catalogs so I won't be tempted to buy anything. I'm outta room!!
Old 03-14-2010, 07:29 AM

My best friend and I were talking about this not to long back, we said we would still quilt but probably not as much once we can get out and play in the dirt. We both raise chickens also. So quilting, gardening and chickens (she has young kids still at home, I do not mine are all grown). So with that we will be very busy during the summer and especially in the late summer to fall with all the canning we will be doing.

I figured when its to hot out to do any gardening then i can sew. I just can not wait to get out and waller in the dirt. Hubby is tilling for me today. Hope to get potatoes, onions, garlic, lettuce, spinach and such in the ground this week.
Also noticed my bulbs are coming up so need to get into my flower beds and clean them up. Move a few rose bushes, where the chickens think they need to dirt bathe.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

I do my gardening in the early morning. I love watching nature and wildlife wake up. Housework comes next and then I usually sit on the porch and do some hand sewing. i don't think about what has to be done i just putter along and by night time i have accomplished most of it.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:17 PM

I have a little teeny spot for gardening, as I live in a townhouse community. I do have some rosebushes and love them. I enjoy puttering around with them, BUT the neighbors all allow their cats to be "outdoor" cats, and my rose garden seems to be the neighborhood potty. I love cats, but would gladly do away with them and their owners. I want to enjoy my little space.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by 2wheelwoman
I have a little teeny spot for gardening, as I live in a townhouse community. I do have some rosebushes and love them. I enjoy puttering around with them, BUT the neighbors all allow their cats to be "outdoor" cats, and my rose garden seems to be the neighborhood potty. I love cats, but would gladly do away with them and their owners. I want to enjoy my little space.
Take your rose bush clippings and place them around the soil, that will keep them out. ( i let them dry out,in a bucket, so the leaves come off,so not to speard any disease from the leaves)
it works for me.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:54 AM

Like many others, I tend to the gardens (flowers only) in the cooler mornings then retreat to sewing and indoor hobbies in the afternoons. The arranging of plants in a garden patch is as inspiring for me as choosing colors for a quilt and as they bloom it is like a finished quilt!

Have joined a CSA this year to get local veggies and fruits and support the local farms. Here in New England it is the next best thing to growing our own and keeps our small towns with rural patches reflecting the needs and wants of many who choose to live here. Our farmers can earn a living and we get fresh veggies.