Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Gardening without Gloves - without Shoes? >
  • Gardening without Gloves - without Shoes?

• Gardening without Gloves - without Shoes?

Old 07-19-2011, 05:37 PM

We have so much poison ivy, and I'm extremely allergic, so I wear long sleeves, long pants, sox over the pants, and gloves. I smear Tex-tu over myself before working in the garden, and wash with it after. And I still get it sometimes - usually a spot on my face where I forget to smear/wash! The best thing for me is to stay completely OUT of the garden - which I've decided to do this year!

I started to itch just typing this!
    Old 07-19-2011, 06:16 PM

How I use to love going barefoot but can't do that anymore. I've always worn gloves...keeps the nails clean.
    Old 07-20-2011, 01:49 AM
    Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by CloverPatch
    Originally Posted by raedar63
    Barefoot,braless and gloveless ;)
    Don't think I could do braless. Girls get a mind of their own when Im all sweaty, They seem to like to run around a bit. Better to keep them confined and in time out.
    Eeeek! Too funny! Actually, sometimes I skip the bra, too. Especially when it's really hot -- but only in the backyard where the neighbors can't see!
    Old 07-20-2011, 01:54 AM
    Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by SueSew
    Krystyna, how do you feel about quilting gloves? Toes on the foot pedal?

I go barefoot in the vegetable garden as it is under my control and I have brick paths between the raised beds, which I am not afraid of hopping into barefoot. Except in the artichokes and squash, too prickly. I HATE!! gloves except for outside the fence where there are all kinds of nasty poison ivy and prickers.
    My daughter bought me FoxGloves, which are skinny and breathable but keep my hands clean when I want to weed; they are great but not as good as grabbing a root barehanded!
    The big deal for me in personal protection for gardening is covering my head arms and legs from the sun, and avoiding the garden at dawn and dusk for the mosquitoes.
    Quilting gloves? Never! I need to feel the fabric. We also have brick paths through the garden with clouds of lovely lemon thyme poking up. The only time I wear shoes (flip flops) back there is when the weeds have gotten out of hand and I'm not sure where the dogs went!

The bugs are awful through most of the day. Those horrid biting no-see-ums ... BUT ... I just read a tip that actually works to keep them off - Vicks Vaporub. No more bites!

Emerald46 - as for clean nails - after I scrub, I dip a Qtip in hydrogen peroxide and they are bubbled clean.
    Old 07-20-2011, 03:10 AM

now that sounds "di-vine"
    Old 07-20-2011, 03:23 AM

Just asking for trouble when your feet and hands are not protected. There are a variety of microbes in the soil that can be absorbed into your body thru porous skin.
    Old 07-20-2011, 04:11 AM

I used to garden without shoes or gloves. When I moved to Ft. Lauderdale Fla, I continued the practice. I got a skin infection which I call Ft. Lauderdale Crud. I still have it (now in N.C.). I have to keep putting lotion on the hands...if I forget for a week, my hands start to dry, crack and bleed. Won't even talk about my feet....too many years in high heels now I'm in orthodics and "shoe box type of shoes"....Should not have gotten old and fat (ha ha).

Lynn :-(
    Old 07-20-2011, 05:33 AM

No gloves for me either. I feel restricted in gloves. Shoes sometimes, depends on what I'm doing in the yard. I sure enjoy being in the yard and working in the flower beds; mostly I enjoy sitting inside and admiring my work.
    Old 07-20-2011, 05:39 AM

I'm with you. No gloves and barefoot. just love to feel the soil ( feet and hands ) What better way to get back to nature.
    Old 07-20-2011, 05:47 AM

Whether I wear my gloves depends on what I'm doing. Since I am a "desk jockey" I don't have the calluses that I want/should have.

As far as shoes, I have lots of overgrown spots, I really don't want to find a snake/rat/rabbit with my bare feet. >.<

PS - I do love the feel of good soil on my hands & mud up between my toes. :)