Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Gardening without Gloves - without Shoes? >
  • Gardening without Gloves - without Shoes?

• Gardening without Gloves - without Shoes?

Old 07-20-2011, 12:05 PM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

Fire ants, snakes, thorns, and fungus that loves to live under toenails. Gloves and shoes, every time, all the time!!
    Old 07-20-2011, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Krystyna
    Anyone garden without gloves? I can't stand them. I need to feel the roots when I pull a weed, and it just seems barbaric to prune a shrub or even a tomato plant with gloves. I finally got outside today and tackled a very very weedy vegetable garden and I will admit that my hands are sore.

How about without shoes? I love weeding and dead heading in my flower and herb beds without shoes. There's lots of cushy lemon thyme growing there and it smells delightful when you step on it.

I grew up on a farm in New England and there was no other way to garden but bare foot and without gloves. We only used gloves in the winter. LOL The shoes came off the last day of school and only went on if you had to go some where. Our hands became callused and toughened from an early age and didn't soften until after my Dad gave up farming.
    Old 07-20-2011, 04:38 PM

Gloveless, and barefoot, it's theraputic.
    Old 07-20-2011, 05:06 PM

I always wear gloves and sturdy shoes. I have seen badly infected hands from no gloves- one patient almost lost her hand- if you have only a scratch, you can get a very bad infection by having bare hands. Feet too. If you must put your bare hands into dirt, get a bag of sterile potting soil and put your hands in that. No germs. I garden alot and refuse to take silly risks.
    Cheryl
    Old 07-20-2011, 05:12 PM

I hate gloves, too. I should really learn to like them, I rip up my hands something awful. It never fails, I do a big bunch of garden work and the follwing week we end up going somewhere "dressup", and my hands/undernails are stained with garden juices, cuticles/ nails all torn up!
    I never go in the garden barefoot here, dont even go around in shorts in 100D + weather, always jeans. I wear rubber "wellies" up my legs. (by the time Im done outside Im one big bottle of sweat) - SNAKES. Now, Im a big live and let live kinda person, but we've lost dogs from snake bites. Ive come across copperheads and water mocs, mostly. Last summer I was picking tomatoes and reached under weeds and foliage and saw what looked like a bicycle tire - moved back SLOWLY- and the tire "rolled away" just as slow! Geez, you know its poison when its so sure of its bite that it doesnt even bother to hurry away from you; just dawdles away. sharet
    Old 07-20-2011, 07:04 PM

It's the pnly way- unless the ground is really dry then a slip on sandla is all you need. My husband thinks all I do is get dirty and make messes. My garden is up off the ground accept for the tomatos due to critters so I have it easy but still love to get in the dirt- must be a throw back to making mud pies- dessert anyone?
    Old 07-20-2011, 07:32 PM

I don't use gloves and I never used to wear shoes either until I almost stepped on a syringe, someone had chucked over the fence. Yuck now have to wear shoes outdoors. :thumbdown:
    Old 07-20-2011, 08:39 PM

I only wear gloves for the thorny tasks. Can't agree more about needing to feel what I am doing. Barefoot is usually out for me as I have trouble with my feet. I need arch support wherever I go. Up until a few years ago however, I seldom wore shoes!
    Old 07-20-2011, 09:57 PM

Oh my gracious sakes! I would not dare step in my flower beds without shoes. No No No! I wear gloves and shoes most definetly! There are too many creepy things wandering around in there. Spiders, snakes, sometimes frogs, ants. Oh Dear, I can't imagine ever going outside without shoes anyway. I have very tender feet and I get butterflies in my stomach when walking outside with no shoes on.

When I was growing up, we never wore shoes outside. What happened to me? :roll:
    Old 07-21-2011, 03:08 AM

I like bare hands and feet too but not around my roses or citrus trees .. or the pesky blackberry vines.