Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Gastric By-Pass or Lap Band >
  • Gastric By-Pass or Lap Band

• Gastric By-Pass or Lap Band

Old 05-05-2010, 04:33 PM

I had a gastric by-pass about 5 years ago and do not regret it for one minute. Yes it is a major operation, but I was facing out of control diabetes, knee problems, sleep apnea and who knows what else? I lost 95 lbs and have kept it off. I could lose another 40 lbs, but that doesn't seem to be happening. Now I am just a normally chubby 58 year old woman, not the fatty in the corner. I still am on insulin, but a much lower dosage. I have so much more confidence overall. I can walk and keep up with almost anyone. I don't ache constantly. I even feel good after I exercise now.
    Just my opinion. The lapband was not as perfected back then and my Dr. wouldn't even consider that procedure.
    Old 05-05-2010, 08:33 PM

I'm not for these invasive surgeries for the most part. I still bellieve if you work on your mind change and cure the 'hand to mouth ' disease, get at least three to four days of at least 1/2 hour of walking, that is the beginning to a new you. Fast food, soda's (especially diet), packaged/frozen prepared foods are a huge downfall to our society. There is no doubt eating healthier is expensive, but sure beats the cost of major surgery. Too much of a risk if you ask me.
    Old 05-05-2010, 09:13 PM
    Power Poster

Of the 6 people I know who did these types of surgeries here are the results :
    person #1
    lap band 3 times weighs more than ever- not successful
    person #2 Gastric Bypass
    lost 120 pounds , put back on 95
    Person #3 Gastric Bypass
    Lost 130 pounds - still keeping it off
    Person #4 Bypass but a modified one
    Lost 95 pounds kept most of it off
    Person #5 Gastric Bypass
    Lost over 100 pounds, putting it back on
    Person #6 gastric Bypass
    Lost 130 pounds -keeping it off

You have to modify the behavior that caused the problem to start. It is not a quick or easy fix. And listening to the docs and following the post op is very important.

Good Luck to you, only you know what is best for you
    Old 05-05-2010, 09:20 PM

I had the gastric bypass and lost 150 pounds. I have the skin issue too but I can live with that.I was a diabetic had sleep apenia, and asmia as well shortly after the surgery I lost all the other things I had going on but like everyone has said please try to use other ways to lose the weight. I wanted the lap band but the doc wouldnt do that for me. At least that one can be undone. Mine is perminate.I throw up all the time and have a hard time eating anything. I see a doc for this problem and he streaches mt esophagas so you see it is not all what they want you to believe. Please try other ways first and use surgery as a last resort. Good luck
    Old 05-05-2010, 10:10 PM

Just a clarification: surgeries like this can make type 2 diabetes (insulin resistance, the most common kind) go away, but not type 1 (when your pancreas doesn't make insulin). Weight loss surgery won't restore pancreatic function.
    Old 05-05-2010, 10:53 PM

Re. Type 2 Diabetes, my friend had a cancer surgery and was no longer diabetic. The Dr. said it was common for people to no longer be diabetic after a major surgery. They don't know why this happens as not all people have this happy side effect from surgery.
    Old 05-05-2010, 11:22 PM

Jerry, I had the ileo jejunal bypass in the late 70's. I still weigh less than 120 lbs, and have never had a bit of trouble. My daughter had it done two years ago and is also doing great. Don't hesitate
    Old 05-06-2010, 04:02 PM

While it is your decision, I would be extra careful. I have friends who have had both done. They all have gained the weight back. A doctor here has his patients go on the diet for two months before he will do either. You still have to diet so why take the risks? A girl at my daughters work went deaf, was blind (but sight came back) and was in the hospital for a month. She can no longer work and is having major health issues.
    Old 05-06-2010, 06:04 PM

There are always horror stories, but if you do as directed there does not seem to be a problem. The new procedure is much less aggressive, and much safer. Get all the facts, and information that you can
    Old 06-08-2010, 11:18 AM

I would like to answer this thread.

I am 41 and I weigh 437.2 pounds. I have been on a presurgical medically supervised diet for the last two months with 4 more months to go before I have the gastric bypass. I have lost 17.8 pounds since I started this diet.

I see the medical doctor every month and I email my food journal to the dietician every week and weigh in every Friday.

I MUST lose weight or I will die. I have an 18 yr old in the army who is being deployed to Iraq soon and I have a 19 yr old who is in graduate school.

I do NOT want to die.

I have high blood pressure, severe sleep apnea, and severe joint pain. I am barely able to walk to the kitchen in my house or to the mailbox. It is terrible.

I am going to a quilt show this weekend and must bring my wheel chair and will push it as far as I can and then sit and rest before I walk more.

I have to have a special chair when we go out to eat. I am not able to use a seat belt (even with the extension it doesn't work). I cannot buy clothes that fit me anymore.

Now...with that being said. This is what has started to happen since I started this lifestyle change:

*I can put my own bra on.
    *I can shower myself
    *I can dress myself
    *I can walk from the car to the doctor's office without my walker
    *I can wear regular shoes
    *My BMI has gone down 3 points to 80

There are lots of other things too.

My diet is going great. I eat like I should eat and the dietician is thrilled with my progress. My doctor is thrilled.

That being said, I am almost ready to have the gastric bypass. I have made the mental, emotional and physical changes required that will make this procedure a success.

It is my last resort. I will have it done in the fall and I look forward to many years of life left. I will have to have major plastic surgery after the weight is gone. I have been told already that it will be covered due to the infection issues.

I feel very calm and very settled in my new lifestyle. I no longer desire those quick snacks like candy or junk food. I love how I feel eating a diet that is 2/3 plant based. I feel so much better since I have made the decision to do this.

I am working very hard for this process. It is not a snap thing.

Thank you for bringing this question to us. I am really glad I have been able to tell my story.

Thank you again.

Missy