Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • General Chit-Chat and Personal Diaries and Announcements: next round of discussions >
  • General Chit-Chat and Personal Diaries and Announcements: next round of discussions

• General Chit-Chat and Personal Diaries and Announcements: next round of discussions

Old 09-12-2009, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Admin
    [

Nope. The biggest issue is people being unhappy about their posts being deleted
    what numbers are we talking about? obviously, if they're deleted we don't get to see them, but how many are there? are we talking as many as three each week? and, without asking personal questions, what is the major reason for the deletion? is it content or bad language or what? and that is the BIGGEST issue? i think that's interesting.
    Old 09-12-2009, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Admin

1) I think there are plenty of work-in-progress pics in the Pictures section, and people seem to be happy seeing them. So it's not just a place to show off your finished projects. There are also plenty of threads in the Main section discussing projects.
    is an answer to a question a hi-jack? if yes, then sorry.

it took me a while to figure out a way to keep posting additions to an existing thread, so people may not know how to do it. after the opening picture, there were comments and i said i would keep people informed, as i was asked to do. by the time i was ready to make an addition, i had forgotten the name of the thread :lol: so what i did was this: i searched out the initial thread by using my own name. i re-opened the thread and i posted the new pics as a reply. it worked very well, and the people who were interested were able to keep up. a few people are still interested in seeing additional pics (which i hope to get around to) and i will post them the same way.
    Old 09-12-2009, 01:13 PM

There can never be too many quilts... and never too many wonderfuls! :-)

I'm not sure I understand what the problem with page after page of "wonderfuls" is. If it was my quilt, I'd be over the moon!

For the hijacking thing... conversations DO wander,that's the nature of conversation. I see hijacking as something completely different... when Person A starts a thread about their latest quilt, Person B posts, and Person C comes in and says "hey Person B, how is your Aunty's Cousin's, Friend's, Mother's Dog doing after his accident". THAT is hijacking, and all it takes is for Person B to PM Person C and answer the question, instead of in the thread, and just add a polite comment about using the PM system in future. And for normal conversation wandering, it's easy to bring it back on track.

Knowing now that there are "hidden" issues, or problems, that I'm not aware of, I'm hesitant to offer any further opinions on the rest.

But Admin, you have been doing a great job, this is an awesome forum. You might have to get a little tougher, and stop being such a nice gorilla, to keep it that way. Make your decisions, explain the reasons, then enter into no correspondance, just like competitions.
    Old 09-12-2009, 01:29 PM

What do you, as members of this community, believe would be the appropriate action if, say, we get a flood of prayer requests or negative posts or jokes getting out of hand?
    I suggested once before that there could be ONE thread for jokes.
    There could also be ONE thread for prayer requests.
    Archive these and restart them once they reach a certain size.

As far as negative threads go, I'm not what those are. Posts about personal problems? Vents? Rants? We have a couple of threads, like the one about telemarketers, that might be construed as negative, but I wouldn't want to see that banned. No one has been offended by it, I don't think. We've had a few quilting-related "I've had a bad day" threads, but I wouldn't want to see those banned either. People can skip past threads they don't want to read. The only negativity that should be banned, IMO, is stuff that offends or hurts others. Maybe I'm missing something here. (I suppose this has all been discussed in the first 6 pages, which I don't want to plow through.)
    Old 09-12-2009, 01:59 PM

I agree with BlueChicken. The "wonderfuls" are a great way to boost camaraderie between board members, not to mention encouraging quilters at all levels, which this board has always done. In my opinion it is the very essence of this quilting community. More quilters = more fun.
    Old 09-12-2009, 02:07 PM

Admin, just wanted to say thanks for letting everyone have their say - whether you agree with us or not.
    Old 09-12-2009, 04:27 PM
    Power Poster

Just to add my 2 cents about the progress pics of quilts...PLEASE post them! That is how I learn things. Usually a pic is posted at a progress point where a decision is being made for one reason or another. I learn so much from the "process".

I also think there should be no limit to the "wonderfuls"...

In reading through all these pages, it is becoming clear to me that there is obviously some "pot stirring" that has gone on that I am not aware of. This seems to be an ongoing problem. Is the issue with just a few and are they they same ones over and over? If so...then..put on the big gorilla pants and do what ya' gotta do. If not, then I would think that a pm will take care of the problem.

I'd love for the board to get back to the easy and familiar "family" feel that it had several months ago. I haven't had lots of time to spend on here lately, but with lots of my friends spending all their time in PDA...I feel like I've lost part of my on-line family and the sense of community that made this board so unique and so special has been lost. I'd like for us to get over this trouble hump (whatever it is) and get back to quilting and having a good time together.
    Old 09-12-2009, 04:42 PM

[quote=bearisgray]Interesting -

I took my Dear Jane thing to the PDA because I wanted more control over it than I felt I had when I had started something similar in Main. I was talking about trying to do something in an old-fashioned way, and someone told me that software is available. That was NOT the point of that post. (By the way, whoever you were, I believe you were trying to be helpful )

[quote]

i was sorry when your dear jane vanished but i didn't know why it did. i don't think i had to know, but i wish you had said where it was going. i don't follow the pda's, but i would have looked for that particular topic.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:23 PM
    Power Poster

WOW ! Just when you think it is starting to settle down again. I personally have had no secret PM's from people causing problems (Thankfully!) so i wasn't aware of a bigger issue.

On one occasion I had a question on where to post and it was solved and I moved on, no big deal. I guess if a topic gets locked a short explanation would help ALL the users from making the same error again ( I would hope we all could learn from others mistakes) and eventually not so many questions would remain. For repeat offenders or those that just refuse to learn, you have the abiliity ( I believe) to lock them out of the board. I know it is not a wonderful solution but has helped in the past when things were going crazy.

As for PDAs I don't have one but enjoy a few. For me it is a place to have a general conversation about anything and everything without worrying about offending/upsetting or irriating the board in general. It is a place you can stop in say Hi how is your day , whats new without it being in GCC which is not where it belongs. I do miss important things from time to time and for that I am sorry, but I do try to hit all the different sections at least once a week just to see what is happening .

Admin, Moderators you are doing a FABULOUS job and for that i say a big THANK YOU ! Because without you there would be no board and I am sure there are days when you think " Why or Why do I bother ?"

I have learned so much from this board and everybody here. THANK YOU Everyone for sharing and caring. Sorry so long winded
    Sharon
    Old 09-12-2009, 10:55 PM

First of all, it can't be said enough that THIS is the greatest Quilt Board around and that we all of us from beginners to experienced quilters learn new things and best of all get inspired every day.

Too much "wonderful"? -----I don't think a quilter ever gets tired of hearing that their creation has been appreciated.

Locking certain topics---This sounds like a good idea to me. Several times recently, I have commented on topics and found that later they have disappeared into thin air with absolutely no explanation. Lock 'em and offer a brief note about why they were locked.

Chit-Chat used to be interesting. It used to be a friendly place where friends exchanged how their lives (other than quilting lives sometimes) were going. Sometimes things don't go well and it was nice to get support from those on the board. If you didn't want to respond or even read it, don't open it.

There have been considerably fewer threads since the imposition of so many rules. It has been my observation that the "rules" have not always been applied to everyone. Some pics of events or people have "stayed" rather than being shifted over to PDA. For those of us who have had "their" thread told it was not appropriate for Chit Chat and moved, it feels hurtful and unfair.

PDA is way too lengthy and most of us just don't have the time to read through all of the entries. I, for one, follow Morgan's progress and that's about it. There are, though, a group of people who seem to really enjoy it regardless.

I would like to see Chit Chat return to the way it used to be. Common sense should be applied with regard to offensive jokes with PMs to the "offender" and the joke deleted. Topics should be locked if not appropriate with some brief explanation. Those of us who prefer the Quilt areas (Main, Pictures, Resources, etc) exclusively don't ever have to visit Chit Chat. The fewer "rules", the better. I'm sure Patrice doesn't enjoy being a policeman.

Just my two cents worth---thanks to our moderators and administrator for their efforts---it is much appreciated.
    Joan