Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Getting ready for no power! >
  • Getting ready for no power!

• Getting ready for no power!

Old 08-27-2011, 03:27 PM

Hi Chairjogger, You should contact a shelter in your area that takes people who are on oxygen like that they will help you first if you have to call for help mention to them that you are on oxygen like that. Sue
    Old 08-27-2011, 03:29 PM

Hi to all of you, My blessings and thoughts go out to you as you go thru this storm I've been thru several in RI and now in Fl. so I know what you may be feeling plus I have family in the NE. Will be thinking of you all and keeping you in my prayers. Be safe everyone. Sue
    Old 08-27-2011, 03:34 PM

Why is it that here in Pennsylvania the worst part of the storms that hit are always in the darkness of night?? Been perched at my window most of the day waiting for Irene (after securing everything outside like lawn chairs, tables, etc.). Been raining on and off all day (nothing more than we've had in the past 2 weeks), but sounds like the heavy rain & winds will come later. Not being able to see what's going on outside really freaks me out (my kiddos feel the same way). Sure hope my guineas are safe in their new coop. Hubby thinks they will be fine. Prayers to those who are dealing with this storm.
    Old 08-27-2011, 06:20 PM

all I can say to all of you is stay safe! leave if you have to
    Old 08-27-2011, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by gal288
    I've been busy today, pressing, cutting, and getting a redwork quilt traced to work on during Irene.

Live in NJ, predictions are we may be without power for 3 - 5 days, can't bear the thought of not quilting. For sure I will go nuts in the house with just my DH and no power.

Other people are preparing for the hurricane, I'm preparing for boredom!

In all seriousness, I wish everyone in the path, minimum damage, no loss of life or property, and above all, safety!
    Sounds smart to me
    :!: So glad that the storm was not as severe as they had first predicted.
    Old 08-27-2011, 06:47 PM

Praying for everyone that is in harm's way!
    Old 08-27-2011, 07:03 PM
    Bea

We in the Wisconsin-Minnesota area are praying for you all. Our power companies are recruiting a team of men to leave for your area to help with the power lines repair. Please know that we care. God bless.
    Old 08-28-2011, 04:04 AM

It seems to be easing here in central jersey. The wind is quieter and the rain has eased up.

We have not lost power. I thought we would last night. I kept hearing a transformer about a block away sparking.

Stay safe
    Old 08-28-2011, 06:49 AM
    elm

Glad things are going so well for you.
    Hope you are not in an area that will feel the results of flooding from the rivers.
    Originally Posted by donac
    It seems to be easing here in central jersey. The wind is quieter and the rain has eased up.

We have not lost power. I thought we would last night. I kept hearing a transformer about a block away sparking.

Stay safe
    Old 08-28-2011, 06:54 AM

Well, made it through most of Irene. Rain has stopped and now we just have lots of wind. We may actually see clearing this afternoon. Minimal damage so far. Just some branches down on the big tree in our front yard, and part of the fence down between us and our neighbor. No leaking and as far as we can see, all the shingles on the roof are ok. We'll get a better look at things when we actually go outside. We haven't yet because the wind gusts are still pretty strong and things are blowing about.

We never really lost power -- it just went out a couple times for just a minute and came back on. I shut down the computer when that happened. I guess we still could have some wind damage but I'm hoping not. My sister had a leaking roof and water in her basement so she definitely got the worse end of the deal.

Didn't sleep much at all. We wouldn't sleep in our bedroom because the big tree that lost the branches is right there and if it came down, we'd be hit. Hope everyone else made it through ok.