Giblet gravy

Old 11-18-2011, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by TanyaL
My stepfather used to eat oyster stuffing with his turkey. I thought that was a big yuck. I guess it was a New England receipe. Regional receipes are just regional. My husband grew up in Washington DC and likes to eat Scrapple. You can't even buy it in Texas, thank the good Lord. One person's yuck is another person's yum.
My inlaws were from Birmingham, AL and every year my MIL would make a special oyster casserole dish for my MIL and the others....yuk to me, but they loved it ! Now Scarpple is another thing..I dated a guy once from PA and visited his parents and the made scrapple, along with a can of cold kidney beans and white bread for breakfast.....you guessed it, didn't marry that guy !
Old 11-18-2011, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by TanyaL
If I stuff a turkey I never put eggs in the stuffing. If I make dressing then I always put eggs in that. Sometimes I do both - depends on how many people I am cooking for. When the whole family would be home for Thanksgiving I had to bake a 20plus pound turkey and a 15 pound ham to have enough. Now the family is in so many states that I am usually only fixing for 3. Unfortunately we only seem to get the whole family together for funerals and weddings now.
When I was a kid my grandmother would stuff our turkey/or big chicken whichever and I never felt like the stuffing was cooked enough....seemed to be too moist for me. Since I became an adult about 100 years ago and had total command of my own kitchen, I stopped stuffing anything ! I make an excellent cornbread/biscuit/celery/onion/chicken broth dressing.....I also add eggs to this mixture to make it hold together....one of my favorite parts of this dressing is to get it seasoned just right with sage, taste it, then add the beaten eggs before I put it in to bake. I make cornbread; make biscuits with flour, crisco and buttermilk, cook my celery and onion in a homemade broth and add it all together......hmmmm making me hungry right now !
Old 11-18-2011, 03:14 PM

Does not sound good at all. Hope you enjoy it. I'm from Illinois and I have not ever heard of that .
Old 11-18-2011, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Honeynga
When I was a kid my grandmother would stuff our turkey/or big chicken whichever and I never felt like the stuffing was cooked enough....seemed to be too moist for me. Since I became an adult about 100 years ago and had total command of my own kitchen, I stopped stuffing anything ! I make an excellent cornbread/biscuit/celery/onion/chicken broth dressing.....I also add eggs to this mixture to make it hold together....one of my favorite parts of this dressing is to get it seasoned just right with sage, taste it, then add the beaten eggs before I put it in to bake. I make cornbread; make biscuits with flour, crisco and buttermilk, cook my celery and onion in a homemade broth and add it all together......hmmmm making me hungry right now !
That's my receipe also. Must be a southern thing.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:26 PM

My MIL always made her giblet gravy with boiled eggs in it and the inards. RIP Pearl, we miss you
Old 11-18-2011, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin
Does not sound good at all. Hope you enjoy it. I'm from Illinois and I have not ever heard of that .
I have a daughter that lives in mid MO; when i've visited there I've been served some very "southern" dishes, i.e., chicken & dumplins and beans and ham....that is old south stuff......
Old 11-18-2011, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by pjaco
My MIL always made her giblet gravy with boiled eggs in it and the inards. RIP Pearl, we miss you
My grandmother made it with the inards also, but when I got grown there was no way am i going to put inards in my gravy ! My aunt's dog used to only eat chicken gizzards and livers....when I "dog sat" them I would have to get these gross things out of fridge and warm them for the dogs.......made me know for sure that I wasn't eatting that stuff !!!!! I make a very nice rich brown gravy with chopped boiled eggs......
Old 11-18-2011, 03:57 PM

Must be a Texas/Oklahoma thang!! I was born in OK - we moved to Texas when I was 5. My Grandmother & my mother always put hard boiled eggs in the giblet gravy. I don't make giblet gravy...I buy turkey or chicken gravy in a jar (OH, THE HORROR ) & season it up, add the boiled eggs & call it done. My dressing is cornbread, of course, no raw eggs, but it also has chopped hard boiled eggs in it...my mother did it so I do it. Don't ask me why. I'm the official dressing maker in our family - even my ex-husband prefers my dressing to anyone else's!

My eldest daughter married a guy from Illinois...her first trip to visit his family was for Thanksgiving. Poor girl liked to starved to death on that trip! The only time she got to eat was when they went out for pizza!! Her MIL - bless her heart - tried...she made cornbread dressing....using WHITE CORNMEAL!! That's downright criminal in this part of the country!
Old 11-20-2011, 03:44 PM

I grew up in Kansas. We had chickens and turkeys right from the farm. Often there were still unhatched eggs still in the birds when we got them. They were with the giblets and yes they went in the giblet gravy. It really is good. I made the dill pickle soup someone posted awhile back. It had hard boiled eggs added to it. Made me think of my family's giblet gravy. YUMMMM
Old 11-20-2011, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by sandybeach
I also put the giblets in the dressing, but leave out the raw eggs. And I have stuffed my turkeys for the past 40 years and have never had a problem with under-cooked dressing. I always use a big roaster pan with lid (the old fashioned kind, blue). And my turkeys always come out well cooked but not dry. My favorite part is the neck, cooked on the bottom of the pan along with the turkey. I always eat it alone, the next night, so I don't have to use my fingers with family around.
This reminds me of my Mom who used to like to eat the turkey tail. Needless to say she didn't have to fight anyone for it!