Girl hunters

Old 12-07-2010, 06:01 PM

I can't fire a gun, or be around when they are fired. I have Epilepsy and it sets me off. I love venison, and have no way to procure it. If I had any kind of hunter available, they would never 'want' for warm hunting clothes, or anything thing else I could do for them, in exchange for "share' rights! YUUUUMMMMMM!
Old 12-07-2010, 08:02 PM

I run a small ranch 100+ cow calf pair. And I dont get it when someone says hunting should be outlawed. I hunt and I eat what I hunt and with close to 1000 acres I allow hunting if i didnt deer would hurt my ability to make a living we dont slaughter them but we keep a healthy small herd.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ilovemydogs
I am a hunter as well! Last year was my first year to hunt antelope. My husband and I bird hunt and we hunt to provide food for our family.

Keep in mind that there are only a handful of hunters that just kill for sport and give the other hunters a bad name because of what they do/say. Not all hunters are like that. People have brought up a lot of interesting points. Hunting helps control over abundance of wildlife. Managing wildlife is one of the best things that can be done, this includes hunting.

I respect the people who don't like hunting. That is ok. We have our own different opinions and views. I understand why some people don't hunt and why they find it offensive.

Please realize that Emsgranny posted this topic to say how proud she was of her granddaughters. If you don't like the topic, don't post!

Congrats Emsgranny! That must have been exciting for the girls!
I agree entirely with this post....well said.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by akrogirl
Originally Posted by lab fairy
Originally Posted by DebsShelties
Originally Posted by OmaForFour
Are you a vegetarian?

Originally Posted by DebsShelties
I dislike hunting all the way around, and I wonder what did that POOR animal ever do to deserve getting shot, left in pain till they were killed/killed outright. Which was here first? The animals were, we as humans ran off the natural preditors and now have an over population of certain animals.
Just so we humans could build houses in woods etc.
Sad really.
I do not eat Red meat or wild meat. I still have the right to think how I do, eating meat has no meaning in this. Deer are GOD's creatures, killing them kills a beautiful animal for no good reason.
It is sport hunting, even though some use the meat from the kill.
I disagree with hunting and I have the right to disagree.
I wonder how many of the hunters others would feel if the killed animal got dressed on their dining room table on good tablecloths, with the hunter saying oh you can just wash out the blood.
Or have an animal still alive and placed on your kitchen counter, back is broken and legs are still moving with the animal in severe pain?
Again with the hunter saying oh it's ok wanted to see what you thought of my kill. Then proceeded to start skinning the animal.
WOW, there are issues here that have nothing to do with hunting. It sounds more like issues with the person YOU KNOW. No one I know who hunts anything would ever disrespect an animal the way you described. There is no reason. All hunters I know hunt the legal limit, use the meat, and could care less about trophies. No one would dress an animal indoors (and never disrespect their wife that much if she objected). My husband grew up on a working farm and they raised their own meat. I am guessing that is bad too?

We all have life experiences that color our view of the way the world should work. If you are that passionate I can send you some very good vegan and vegetarian recipes.
Unfortunately, many of the hunters I know do disrespect the animals and laugh about killing them. I have worked with several who also bragged about shooting cats and birds in their back yards - illegal to do where I live for obvious reasons. I have even had some tell me that they didn't like the meat of the animals they had killed, usually the javelinas, and that they didn't eat it!

We have also had major problems in my area with dove hunters shooting in inhabited areas around the barn where I ride. It used to be a regular occurrence to find them shooting across the road to the barn before the housing development was built, with no regard for the traffic coming along. Again, illegal here, but that never bothered them. By shooting across that particular road, they were also shooting into reservation land - another major no-no in more ways than one.

Maybe hunters in other areas respect the laws and the animals concerned more than the ones I have encountered. However, I know many horse owners in other parts of the country who have run into similar issues with local hunters and who fear for their horses' lives every hunting season.
These are NOT hunters they are poachers & there is a difference!!!
Old 12-08-2010, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by emsgranny
Two of my grand daughters got deers this year - all on same day as dad!!!

The oldest grand daughter - Em got hers first she is 14!! she was accompanied by her step dad - (more like dad than stepdad) He has taught the girls everything they know about outdoor stuff. He treats her just like his own - of course it helps that she likes to do fence mending and feeding livestock lol

Then Cassidy age 8 went out with dad and she got one - it was so funny to hear her tell it lol she apparently shot it in the leg but it wasnt running - her dad shot it again "to put it out of misery" - She was still very happy and we accredited the kill to her.

Not to outdone Dad had to get one too but his was last and the smallest of the bunch lol

Deer sausage and jerky for winter - also deer steaks!!! pretty cheap eating for them - glad they like it - my daughter makes it into all kinds of things - uses the ground up deer aliong with hamburger to make chili taco and even hamburger helper!!!

I am so glad the grand kids enjoy doing the outside stuff and arent always sitting in fromt of computer or gaming systems!!!
When not hunting they are tending to cows and their horses. Its nothing for them to saddle up on a nice day and go on trail rides as a family - I am proud of them - my other daughter and her two children often participate also. the youngest who is under two usually stays with us though - he loves to be around horses though - they have a little minature pony and cart - he gets to ride in their front yard in the cart - glad to see them all together and enjoying the outdoors!!! I dont get in on it but enjoy watching from the front porch in my chair lol
What a wonderful story about your Grand daughters!! Congradulations!
Old 12-08-2010, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Eden Quilter
my mom is 85 years old and got an 8 point buck this year!
Congrats to your mom!!! What an accomplishment - at her age just getting to the woods would be unthinkable lol.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by dublb
These are NOT hunters they are poachers & there is a difference!!!
I grew up in the heart of hunt country and, believe me, I do understand the difference, but I didn't think that poachers bothered to get hunting permits etc., or obey the season dates. These people don't meet the definition of poachers as I have always understood it and, unfortunately, such behavior is very common around here.

I do know one person I would consider to be a true hunter and that is the husband of one of my best friends.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Ilovemydogs
I am a hunter as well! Last year was my first year to hunt antelope. My husband and I bird hunt and we hunt to provide food for our family.

Keep in mind that there are only a handful of hunters that just kill for sport and give the other hunters a bad name because of what they do/say. Not all hunters are like that. People have brought up a lot of interesting points. Hunting helps control over abundance of wildlife. Managing wildlife is one of the best things that can be done, this includes hunting.

I respect the people who don't like hunting. That is ok. We have our own different opinions and views. I understand why some people don't hunt and why they find it offensive.

Please realize that Emsgranny posted this topic to say how proud she was of her granddaughters. If you don't like the topic, don't post!

Congrats Emsgranny! That must have been exciting for the girls!
THANKS YOU!! You hit the nail on the head. I am proud of the girls and their dad. Em is his only step child and I am proud that he has taken her under his wing.
I want to assure everyone that the girls have had their gun safety classes and respect the use of guns and wild life. They raise cows own horses and have taken in many stray cats and dogs. They do feel some remorse for shooting the animal and do realize their beauty. They also know when times are rough they have now learned skills to provide meat on the table. Les and my daughter have 4 kids total - they also usually have 2-4 "extras" hanging around sometimes for days at a time. they have also pretty much adopted les's niece who is same age as EM.
If not for hunting they could not afford to feed everyone!

I do think DebsShelties has a right to own opinions as does anyone else. I am truly sorry you have experienced such a tremendously bad experience with a hunter. He truly is a sick person but he probably falls within the one percentile of hunters!

I have two basic rules when talking with people - I dont debate religion or politics lol I think this falls within those topics. May I make a suggestion - please move your debate to your own post where you can debate all you want. I feel you have missed the whole point of my post - I am proud of their accomplishments and the fact that their dad is spending quality time with them while providing food on their table (they do still do the old fashion thing about having dinner at table with family and friends on a daily basis - they also thank God for all He has given to them) They have great respect for wild life.

Thanks to all who "got" the post and recognized the girls accomplishments and for recognizing the fact that their are still parents that spend quality time with their children.

Thanks again cheryl :thumbup:
Old 12-08-2010, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Owllady
I use my dehydrator. Cut the venison in small strips, not too thick. Lay out and salt, pepper, garlic salt, onion salt or whatever suits your taste. Dry until leathery. Eat and enjoy. I put mine in the freezer for keeping. You can also buy seasoning. Some I like, others I do not. You just have to try a few and remember which your family likes and try to use them in the future. You can find them on the internet where sausage seasonings, etc. are found.
I believe thats called deer jerkey. They make that too!! Its an enjoyable snack. :lol:
Old 12-08-2010, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
I can't fire a gun, or be around when they are fired. I have Epilepsy and it sets me off. I love venison, and have no way to procure it. If I had any kind of hunter available, they would never 'want' for warm hunting clothes, or anything thing else I could do for them, in exchange for "share' rights! YUUUUMMMMMM!
If you lived closer I am sure they would have taken you up on offer lol cheryl :-D