giving a dog asprin

Old 03-24-2011, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by QuickStitch
I get daily pet newsletters and just got one today on the dangers of giving regular meds and food to dogs that contain xylitol which is a sugar that is in alot of meds and prescription drugs and in alot of things you might not even realize it is in. It is very toxic to your dog. Here is a link you can go to, hopefully you can just click on it, but if not, you can copy and paste it. It is a short but interesting read.

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...-pet-dogs.aspx
My friends Jack Russell got a pack of gum w/xylitol in it. They got him to the vet with in 15 minutes and $1,200 and 3 days he was fine. The vet said that is the first dog they've had that hadn't died from xylitol. He also said it doesn't seem to affect cats, but I sure make sure I keep my gum out of there reach.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:29 PM

we gave out dogs bufferin..wrapped in lunch meat
Old 03-24-2011, 05:35 PM

We give our Border Collie, 13 1/2 yrs old, a LOW DOSE (81mg) ASPRIN 2 times a day. Boy what a difference it makes in her getting around!!!
Old 03-24-2011, 05:41 PM
sap

Originally Posted by mimom
has anyone ever heard of giving a dog asprin, if so how many times a day can I give it to my 110lb german shepherd
my vet had me give my 19 yr old jack russell ascription for arthritis. call yr vet and ask about the dosage for yr pet. What ever u do do not give tylenol, it could kill him/her.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:44 PM

I have a GS that has leg pain from time to time. He is over 120 lbs and I give him 2 Tylenol. It works pretty good for him.and hip
Old 03-24-2011, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by wanderingcreek
Yes, we used to give some to our Roti after she had surgery to repair a ligament in her leg. We gave her 1 twice a day for a couple of weeks (hid it inside a piece of wiener as she hated taking pills) Since it helped out Roti we also gave some to our german Shepherd after she had a run in with a porcupine and we had to remove the quills.
thanks, this big fella of mine was running the fence line as he does with his pal Rocko (lives behind us) and must have pulled something. He has done it before. But I think its worse this time, he is not putting any weight on it at all. Taking him to the vet Thurs or Friday
Hope it's not his knee. My Spin had to have surgery to repair
a dislocating knee cap. The groove wasn't deep enough to keep the knee cap in, and it kept luxating (coming out) - very painful for him.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:12 PM

We give our Dufus a lo-dose coated WAlMart brand aspirin for his hip dysplasia. 1 pill on top of his dinner - dry food with 1/3 can name-brand, chunky style dog food. He chows down on it so fast that he doesn't realize there was a pill in it.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:57 PM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Gas-X?! Really??? Too funny. I learn soooo much every time I check this site. :-)
Old 03-24-2011, 09:25 PM

Years ago I used to give our mutt Brownie a baby aspirin wrapped in cheese when he just didn't seem right. I guess it helped him cause we never did have to take him to the vet for an illness.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by sap
has anyone ever heard of giving a dog asprin, if so how many times a day can I give it to my 110lb german shepherd
my vet had me give my 19 yr old jack russell ascription for arthritis. call yr vet and ask about the dosage for yr pet. What ever u do do not give tylenol, it could kill him/her.
Tylenol?? Really??/ Oh crap! Thanks, won't do that again!