Glass top stove tips

Old 02-15-2011, 09:44 PM

The best thing I've found for cleaning mine is Bar Keepers Friend. You can find it at Walmart, near the Comet and Ajax.
It's in a similar container but really nothing like them. It's great!
Old 02-15-2011, 10:11 PM

I use a Scrunge to clean my glass top. I don't mind the way it cooks but I sure do spend a lot of time cleaning it! Maybe I'm a fanatic but even boiling water leaves little spots and I think the top is a dust magnet everything shows on it. If the top was a lighter then maybe everything wouldn't show as bad?
Old 02-15-2011, 10:47 PM

I am very excited to get it. I had read somewhere to use a razor blade type thingy to clean off spills. That struck terror in my heart. But I saw a kit with a razor scraper in Lowe's this evening.

I am so looking forward to no more drip pans to soak and try to clean!!!! Yeah!!!
Old 02-15-2011, 11:47 PM

I'll bet you'll enjoy your new way of cooking. I've used mine for about 12 years and would never want to go back to drip pans. The special cleaner seems expensive, but you can clean the whole top with a couple of dime-sized dabs. Wipe on, let dry to a haze and rub off. Use any cleaner only when the surface is cold. NEVER use ANY spray cleaner near ANY heat source. (I knew someone who sprayed a furniture cleaner near a candle and the mist ignited and burned her hair and face!) I have the dual burners and sometimes forget what I'm doing and turn the larger ring on when I meant to use the smaller one. I try to avoid boil-overs by using a bigger pot than I think I'll need, but that's because I'm easily distracted. The razor scraper is good, but if you can find a child proof medicine bottle big enough to store it in, that seems like a good idea - looking at your adorable avatar.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
You CAN use cast iron on a glass top...you just have to be careful to lift and set it back down instead of sliding it or turning it on the burner...
I totally agree about using the cast iron! I have had my glass top for about 8 years now, love, love, love it! I have stainless steel cookware, and a few pieces of LeCreuset....but sometimes plain 'ol cast iron just does a better job on some foods (IMHO). As long as you are careful about placing and removing it from the stove top, you shouldn't have any problems at all.

If you just don't feel comfortable using plain cast iron, you might try the LeCreuset enamel covered cast iron. I have a few of those pieces as well. You still have to be careful about placing it on the glass top though, because it is very heavy too.

Happy cooking........and you will love the ease of cleaning your new glass top! No more drip pans to deal with...
Old 02-16-2011, 01:28 AM

I used mine for all the "you can'ts" in the book, cast iron, canning, razor blades. Never a problem until one day I took a bag of fruit from the fridge and went to "crack" it on the edge of the countertop like a bag of ice. Missed the counter & hit the stove, big shatter through my most-used front burner. Oops! Expensive mistake, I forgot it wasn't indestructible.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:53 AM

There must be a difference between glass tops. Our salesman took a cast iron skillet and banged it down on the stove top and slid it around and abused it mightily and nothing happened to that top. I chop and slice on it and it has never marked for me and I've had it 12 years. I clean it with soft scrub and a lite green scratcher (not the dark green). Never had a problem. It stays with the house when it sells but I'm looking at the same stove for my new house.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by CloverPatch
I have one, and I have found a razor blade is my best friend. I keep it right on the couter back splast. When it comes time to clean the top, I scrap it all down with a razor edge first. Best advice I ever got, sure beat scrubbing the burnt-on off.
I sprung for one bell and whistle. I went for the double oven. But it sounds like i basically have what you have!
BUt...make sure you use the blade at a 45 degree angel or less. I pitted my burners badly by using the razor blade incorrectly. now they are discolored and never look clean.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:23 AM

Wonderful until you crack them. Big bucks to replace the top, somewhere on the order of $300!! :-(
Old 02-16-2011, 06:02 AM

Bar Keepers Friend is great thats all I use on mine to clean a mess . Then I wipe it off with a little window cleaner & paper towel. Had mine a long time.