Glass top stove tips

Old 02-16-2011, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

I didn't know before I got mine that you can only use stainless steel pots and pans on it. no aluminum at all. it can melt. I lucked out and got a set 1/2 price. great. well food tends to stick to stainless steel. it does clean up great though.
i did find a small and large Oneida teflon coated skillet though. they have stainless steel bottoms. it took awhile to find them because most products don't tell you what they are made of completely.
the tops get dirty very easily. you will find yourself cleaning every time you cook. well, after it cools down which takes a long, long time.
otherwise they are great! :shock:
Old 02-16-2011, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by CloverPatch
Originally Posted by JT
I would be careful using the razor. My previous stove was glass top. It had a painted ring/decal around the burner. A razor would scrap that off. Just let the stove cool completely before cleaning. The biggest problem is boiling over or burning something right on the burner. (That's why I switched to a gas stove.)
No, mine is a year old. The design or rings around the burner are all under the glass. It is a completely smooth surface. Nothing for the razor to take off, or scrap away.
MIne is five years old and I also use the razor and Cerambright cleaner with a paper towel. Have a couple places that wont clean but it cooks great.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:44 AM

Now you won't have to clean those drip pans. Ugh I could never get them clean and always had to put them in self cleaning oven to get really good and clean,
I have the double oven and it is great for big gatherings. I have not used bar keepers friend. It does not take much of the cleaner so I just buy what they recommend.
It also came with a metal scraper and that is what I use.
have fun!
Old 02-16-2011, 09:02 AM

I have a friend who has used a smooth cast iron skillet on hers for years with no problem. The instructions with my cook top say not to use pans with enameled bottoms or any type of glass or ceramic because in rare situations they can melt and fuse with the cook top, and the damage would be irreversible. So if you think there's any chance you'd ever let the liquid boil out of a pot, that might make you think twice about using those kinds. At least carefully read through your manual before you decide what's okay. My current one is an Amana, and it was in the house when we bought it - no manual. If I remember right the one we bought for the previous house was a Whirlpool.