Good Marriages

Old 03-29-2011, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by clem55
Been married for 56 years, and one piece of advice to me from my dad was ,"Never go to bed without kissing goodnight" He said, "you can't stay mad at someone you kissd before falling asleep, and you won't wake up mad in the morning". Dad was 64 years old when he gave me that advice right before my wedding day. My mom told me to always let your husband know he comes first, always let him feel like a man. Sounds a little old fashion today, but it sure got us over some rough spots..
I agree Carol, but I'm a lot old fashioned.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:03 PM

you have to have your own alone time as well as together time.
You can't be his everything just like he can't be your everything Love can get you a long way but sorry to say you do have to work at a marriage and not run away when times get tough. I think that makes a marriage. My husband is my best friend and always will be, we fight but the fights mellow over the years as you grow together. Never let the sun go down on your anger-if you have to be the one being consilatory so be it-it will be his turn the next time.Wheww!! that was a long sermon!!! However 39 years and 2 wonderful children and 1 great grandchild- He still shivers my timbers!!!
Old 03-29-2011, 02:08 PM

I went to the source :)....asking your question of my DH of 56yrs.
He said you have to love each other,or the rest won't matter.Adding "give & take" has to work both ways.I'll 2nd his advice.Works for us.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:34 PM

Before any couple gets married, they need to see how the other one handles finances. I saw many red flags before I married my husband, but ignored all of them to my own detriment both financially and healthwise. He is a wonderful man in many other ways & we have been married almost 32 yrs, but he has put us in severe financial jeopardy more than once.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:45 PM

Talk, so many couples don't talk just keep everything bottled up, Iv been married 44 yrs we don't scream,yell, we discuss (thats what I call it) when we're unhappy about anything,,,
Old 03-29-2011, 02:49 PM

laughing a whole lot is key. Loving truly and deeply and be there for each other.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:54 PM

Been married for 37 years. Not everyday is wonderful, but I am so fortunate to have a person love me for what I am not what he wants me to be.

To begin with, you have to genuinely like each other.
Then there's communication--in all things.
Overlook each other's idiosyncracies and don't keep track of anything but how much you love each other.

Chris
Old 03-29-2011, 03:02 PM

Don't sweat the small stuff. Ask yourself will this really matter in the long run? Is it worth getting upset over? Always say I love you. Hugs and Kisses. Laugh a lot.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:11 PM

Don't marry someone with plans to change them always show respect for each other When you are unhappy try to remember why you married him. Was married 39 years went through a lot Loss of house due to house fire, loss of almost everything we owned due to bad business adventure We started over from allmost nothing 3 times but managed to stay in love untill he died. He always told me in our later years that he was more and more in love with me everyday
Old 03-29-2011, 03:16 PM

I have been married almost 8 years, but i never dated, just trusted in God to bring my husband to me... HE did! It was a rough 5 years, the rest has been gold. We've been through a lot already, but it has made us stronger.

I NEVER ever tease about divorce... when we fight, nothing about leaving... when you threaten to leave your spouse, it makes him/her feel very insecure.

I flirt like crazy with him, especially if another man is showing me a little more attention than is comfortable

Don't be afraid to say "NO!"... I tell my hubby no when he asks me to pick his nose (he's only teasing anyway)

Give yourselves space... my hubby likes to watch r rated movies, I don't want the kids to watch that stuff, so I go shopping without him. Works great! And, the kids get some Mommy time.

COMMUNICATION is key. Always comunicate, even about the unimportant stuff.

I say my hubby is the best man in the world... he says I am the best woman/wife/mother. If you want your spouse to pay you compliments, pay him/her compliments.

Keep God the center of your individual lives, and of your merriage and you can't go wrong!