Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Gotta Have Two of (or more)... >
  • Gotta Have Two of (or more)...

• Gotta Have Two of (or more)...

Old 09-23-2024, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    no one seems to notice how prices are getting out of control.
    I disagree! It seems like that's ALL anyone is talking about! Every outlet of social media, including here on this board, has posts discussing and complaining about the cost of fabric, groceries, gas, cars, houses, electricity, not to mention the media. It's also become an election talking point. All we can do is cross our fingers and hope SOMEthing changes soon. I worry about my kids, both of whom have good jobs, not being able to buy their own home someday.
    Old 09-23-2024, 09:43 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish
    I disagree! It seems like that's ALL anyone is talking about! Every outlet of social media, including here on this board, has posts discussing and complaining about the cost of fabric, groceries, gas, cars, houses, electricity, not to mention the media. It's also become an election talking point. All we can do is cross our fingers and hope SOMEthing changes soon. I worry about my kids, both of whom have good jobs, not being able to buy their own home someday.
    also disagree. Check out corporate greed as a major source of high prices. One candidate said it will be addressed. The Google will answer a question "why are prices so high". But then again we can't expect things to stay at 1980 prices.
    Old 09-23-2024, 09:57 AM
    Power Poster

It just seems like the increases are so much and so fast in the fast two or three years.
    Old 09-23-2024, 11:13 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    It just seems like the increases are so much and so fast in the fast two or three years.
    there was the pandemic and supply chain and reduced demand for some things and increased demand for others. All that takes time to recover.
    Old 09-23-2024, 12:31 PM
    Power Poster

For prices to double in a matter of a few months is not right. Everyone complains about it but no one is really noticing that nothing is being done about it. Blame on Covid, shipping, lack of workforce, whatever, it is too far gone wrong to stay at a reasonable price increase. Raise the price for no better quality or service is the normal.
    Old 09-24-2024, 08:40 PM

For the longest time my husband and I refused to buy things if the price went up. Now we've come around full circle. We've been depriving ourselves so long it feels like busting out of jail, splurging on all the goodies. You know, fudge brownie mix, Torani chocolate sauce, that stuff. Last week I made an absolute fool of myself over a can of cream cheese frosting. It was Miss Jones brand and over $4.00. Didn't matter, I had no self-control, bought it and when we got home, I was slathering it on everything and having myself a feast.
    Sigh! What can I say,
    For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.
    Old 09-25-2024, 07:02 AM
    Power Poster

My husband likes Pepperidge Farms cookies. A small bag package is now $12.95. the last package he bought he said I think this is outrageous for these few cookies. I haven't baked cookies in a long time so I baked a big batch of one of his favorites. I guess I'll be baking many more cookies.
    Old 09-25-2024, 08:46 AM

Holy pepperoni! That sounds like airport pricing, I'd hit the brakes on that too. We can get Pepperidge Farms at 50 cents a cookie around here in Idaho, but even that seems too steep for me.
    (( Sez the lady with the frosting on her face. ))
    Old 09-25-2024, 10:31 AM

More to the original point of this thread, we woke up this morning to find the local Super One is having their annual case lot sale. After Covid they hadn't had one for several years, so hubby swung into action. Things in our pantry were starting to get thin, so it's also time to reorganize. That means going to the storage in the mechanical room, bring those cases into the pantry, then resupplying the backups with new cases. So yes, we keep lots and lots on hand. Enough to cover ourselves as well as our kids and grandkids who don't seem to get it yet.
    Hubby says there's rumblings of a dockworkers strike on the East Coast that will affect everyone. A lot like the back up of goods coming into the Los Angeles ports that happened recently. The reasons were different, but we had hick ups in supplies and no way of determining what would disappear off the shelves or when. Right now, it seems somewhat back to normal, but for how long?
    FYI, a case lot sale means the grocer clears an area of the store and brings in pallets of canned goods still sealed in their shrink-wrapped cases on pallets piled about five feet high. Customers are not hoarding food off the shelves; they are buying by the case and are respectful of each other.

Last edited by L'il Chickadee; 09-25-2024 at 10:41 AM.
    Old 09-25-2024, 11:15 AM
    Power Poster

My husband mentioned a possible strike too. He keeps up with all that type news. He has retired friends from the docks in NY and they keep their nose in the goings on.