Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Grandparents raising grandchildren >
  • Grandparents raising grandchildren

• Grandparents raising grandchildren

Old 08-11-2010, 05:48 PM

my poor neighbor is 88 and raising her greatgrand sons 3 of them, My hat is off to her I could not do it. And they are not easy children to handle either..
    Old 08-11-2010, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by gloryj8
    I'm 48 and there are days I can't keep up with my bunch. at home I have a 4yr old, 6 yr old, 11 yr old, 12 yr, 13 and 13 yr, 14 and a 19 yr old. so thats 8 still at home with 3 at 21,22,and 23. out on their own.. I'm tired...lol
    my gosh i wouldnt be tired i would be dead or in jail cuz i probabaly would have killed someone by now u must have the patience of a saint bless u and ur dh!
    Old 08-11-2010, 06:15 PM

At the age of 50 , I took my 6 mo old granddaughter to raise that has Aspergers Syndrome( autism spectrum). I am 67 now, she is a senior in HS. with an A/B average. I wouldn't trade a minute of it!! I developed new energy levels! LOL God doesn't call the equipped, He equips those He calls! :lol:
    Old 08-11-2010, 06:24 PM
    Power Poster

When taking my 16 year old GD (that I raised for 10 years) to register for school, my DH met a woman 84 years old raising her two Great Grandchildren who were in the 9th and 10th grade. My hat is off to her. WHAT A WOMAN! He also told me that this woman's husband has Alzheimers. Aren't we blessed.
    Old 08-11-2010, 06:35 PM
    Power Poster

It is not always bad to raise children when you are more mature. I actually think we are gettign better at it. DH is 53 and I am 46. We have 14 children 23,21,20,20,19,19,19,13,12,12,10,8,4,4 (Six boys and 8 girls). My oldest is getting married in early spring. My second son just joined the army and my oldest 19 yr old girl is moving out to college for her junior year. Some of my children came home by adoption and some by birth. We are really happy with our family. That doesn't mean everything is always perfect but at the end we are all family and we wouldn't want it any other way. Anna
    Old 08-11-2010, 06:37 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by breezy
    At the age of 50 , I took my 6 mo old granddaughter to raise that has Aspergers Syndrome( autism spectrum). I am 67 now, she is a senior in HS. with an A/B average. I wouldn't trade a minute of it!! I developed new energy levels! LOL God doesn't call the equipped, He equips those He calls! :lol:
    Wonderful!
    Old 08-11-2010, 08:38 PM

I and my sister Robin were raised by our grandmother and our sister Jeannie was raised by the other grandmother. Our other younger siblings were raised by our parents. We three thank God everyday for our Grams. It took years for our disfunctional parents to finally get their act together. Now we "kids" are in our late 40's, 50's and 60's, big family. I think it is wonderful when Grandparents have so much love and the needed energy to raise a second family. God bless the grandparents who love and care so much.
    Old 08-11-2010, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by tonnadesigns
    To any of you out there who are raising your grandchildren, I just want you to know I admire you, greatly!!!!! I am 47 years old and recently kept a friend's grandchildren she is raising for the night. I was so exhausted when they left! I seriously do not know how a person does this!
    I was about that age when we got our first grandchild. It was then I began to appreciate God's plan of giving babies to young people! LOL
    I had too much patience to discipline properly. And, his tears could make me want to weep.
    Made me wonder what had happened to that mom I used to be. <g>
    If a youngster's parents can't be there for him, then thank God that there are grandparents there to take over, rather than have some faceless, nameless strangers nurturing him - - there are some things ONLY family can accomplish. <wave>
    Old 08-11-2010, 11:10 PM

We live with our DD and her family of 4 and I am glad at times to just stay in my room and hide from all the noise and confussion. God bless those who have no other choice but to step in and raise their grands and great grands.
    Old 08-12-2010, 02:51 AM

I have been raising 2 grandsons ( 12 and 14) for 11 years now- and my 2 youngest are 12 and 10. Having been together all that time, they are like brothers and sisters- and fight like it too, sometimes! I wouldn't have it any other way, though. It does keep you young, and gives a relationship w/ the grands that is hard to beat. Some of my other grands( I have 8) I only see 2-3 times a month, even though they live nearby. When the 2 12 yr olds were little, they thought they were twins. And people would ask when their b-days were, I'd say one on Dec, one in Jan- I got some funny looks!