Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Grandparents raising grandchildren >
  • Grandparents raising grandchildren

• Grandparents raising grandchildren

Old 08-12-2010, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by burnsk
    Originally Posted by Deb watkins
    Well, there are days we don't know how we do it either....ask me, been there, still doing it.
    But somehow we do survive. I think it keeps us young.
    I definately know it's hard when a person is use to peace & quiet...then "BOOM" 3 living at our house. Daughter & her 4 year old girl/boy twins till she finds a decent apartment; probably next year.
    Last year this time, I had my son & his 3 daughters living with us. Divorce is a 'hard' thing, so I feel that being in a safe & supportive place helps the kids & grands out too!
    Now to get use to getting 3 little girls off to school in a couple of weeks will be the challenge for me. Ages 8 & identical twins, age 5. I don't know some days IF I am coming or going....sometimes I catch myself in the middle...LOL...but we do the best we can do with what comes our way. Wouldn't have it any other way! I just thank the Lord everyday that we are able to do what we do!
    Old 08-12-2010, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by KarenSimon
    I know a lady whose friend recently had her first baby. She is 55 and hubby is 63. Now that takes guts...
    OMG....need I say more ??????
    Old 08-12-2010, 04:15 AM

Roberta-congratulations. We still have one more year of high school, then college, so we won't be able to put a bigger home on our property until then.
    Old 08-12-2010, 04:21 AM

gloryj8-you have good reason to be tired, I'd probably be dead. LOL
    Old 08-12-2010, 04:47 AM

My brother and I where raised by foster grandparents who had helped raise 7 other children before us, including our Mother. She was 46, he was 49 when they started raising us at four months and sixteen months old. Because of all my problems at birth, they quit sleeping together, and each took one child to bed with them. I slept across her breast for a whole year, I was so tiny back then. Never a day past without them letting us know how much they loved us and wanted us with them. They became our parents in our hearts, and I still thank God everyday that they raised us...both are gone now...but I have not forgotten them. Nor their unselfish love for us. Each of us have married and raised our families.

Yes, maybe, my thinking is off by a decade, but I have known what true love of a parent was all my life. Materialistic things are just that: things. Love and family are the more important "things" in life. Wish my brother would remember that. Love can make the world turn; and sharing just multiplies "love". One day at a time, life happens: the good, the bad, and the loving kind souls who look beyond themselves and help a child. Blessed are they everyday.
    Old 08-12-2010, 05:25 AM

my daughter is a single mother with 2 children 12 yr old girl and 10 yr old boy. the boy spends all his time out of school with us. He thinks is papa john is the bomb they spend many hours working on trucks and riding the tractors. It is a wonderful to be able to spend so much time with them but boyam i glad that school has started. Im so tired i could sleep for days. Major brownie points to those who cant send them home.
    Old 08-12-2010, 05:38 AM

You will have many stars in your crown! You are a real treasure and I'm so glad you were there for those kids! God bless you and continued blessings on your great family!
    Old 08-12-2010, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by ktyree
    I have been raising 2 grandsons ( 12 and 14) for 11 years now- and my 2 youngest are 12 and 10. Having been together all that time, they are like brothers and sisters- and fight like it too, sometimes! I wouldn't have it any other way, though. It does keep you young, and gives a relationship w/ the grands that is hard to beat. Some of my other grands( I have 8) I only see 2-3 times a month, even though they live nearby. When the 2 12 yr olds were little, they thought they were twins. And people would ask when their b-days were, I'd say one on Dec, one in Jan- I got some funny looks!
    I have a theory about family dynamics that seems to be proven out time and again.
    When babies are little, they are portable, moldable, little sponges grasping for information and you are the ultimate authority on all of life and living for them. And, they can't talk, so they have to take it all in.
    By the time a child is ten, he pretty much knows the rules of the house and usually is easy to get along with because he knows his way around.
    You are so grateful for his obedience that you begin to slip into a rut.
    And, then! The hormones click in and the kid starts pushing himself into your face ... gone is the peace and quiet of the last couple of years (if you allowed yourself to be peaceful and didn't make the mistake of filling in the quiet with chaotic activity) ...
    all of a sudden, you are back at stage one, but this time - - the kid can talk back and will demand that you absolutely know what you are talking about!
    Some of your strongest held beliefs are tested (and, rightfully so) and you find yourself having to either articulate what you have always just "assumed" - - or change your mind on a bad choice.
    It is an exciting time, and it is just part of life and living.
    So, they "grow up" and go off on their own .... hopefully, you have unleashed on the world an individual who has figured out how to live his own ideals ... or, you have given him an understanding of how to get back to "right" when he comes to his senses.
    I understand the heartbreak of having kids who can't grow up and take care of their own, but THANK GOD! If you have been able to extend help when needed ... you won't be getting back into your "rut" any time soon.
    My biggest fear, when the kids started leaving home - - that they wouldn't remember how to get back there.
    If your kids have brought you their children to raise - - they obviously think you have what it takes to raise those children right, even though your own offspring choose not the path you taught them.
    As long as they are alive and breathing, there is hope <wave>
    Old 08-12-2010, 07:33 AM

Been there,Done that, She is 21 and inCollege now.
    It was very difficult but it was worth it, when you can see daylight
    Carol(ceegee)
    Old 08-12-2010, 07:43 AM

To all calendars work well for everything and everyone. A centralized place helps,, Journals for school kids and their activies. I found a great site call FLYLADY.COM has helped me and mine to keep track of all things that we 3 adults have to do.Please check it out and see what they can help us older parents deal with everything.