Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Growing Cantaloupe on a trellis >
  • Growing Cantaloupe on a trellis

• Growing Cantaloupe on a trellis

Old 05-10-2010, 06:36 PM
    Power Poster

I do cucumbers this way too. they just climbed the chainlink fence around my garden, didnt have to do anything special. Beans and peas too!
    Old 05-10-2010, 06:38 PM

This is a great idea; last year our zuchinni overtook the cucs and our cantalope spread all over too. I just got done (on Mother's Day) tilling the garden to get ready for this year's plants. We have a chain link fence too so we'll give this a try (at least for the zuchinni and cucs); not sure if we are going to do melons this year again but they sure are delicious when then come from your own garden. Thanks for the tips.
    Old 05-10-2010, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by amma
    We had a wood fence, and we tied string from stakes in the ground going up to the top of the boards. We planted them a foot apart, 2 rows deep and staggered the plants. I would plant them like this again, it was fun to see peoples reactions too :D:D:D
    So you tied strings to stakes and then tied the string to the boards? And they climbed up the string? What are we talking about here? The cucs and zucs or the cantaloupe? All of those seem to heavy for string? I think I am missing something? Thank you so much for the help. :)
    Old 05-10-2010, 08:38 PM

and Amma I was reading somewhere that you have to get special kinds of zucchini to get it to climb. Do you really have to get a particular kind or do you think any will grow? And same with the cucumbers? I haven't decided on whether or not to do cucumbers :S again thank you
    Old 05-10-2010, 11:50 PM

I have snap peas growing on a fence right now. Just a wooden fence with wire net on it. They are over 4 ft tall and I am picking a bag full every other day, boy they are good! I bought cucumber plants and have them on another fence, same type of fence, but they are too small yet to climb. Never heard of doing it with zucchini, I always plant bush z's.
    Old 05-10-2010, 11:56 PM

Man I wish I lived somewhere warmer. All of you that are already picking vegies and I haven't even planted any makes me so jealous :) I'm still worried about frost :):):)
    Old 05-10-2010, 11:56 PM

Man I wish I lived somewhere warmer. All of you that are already picking vegies and I haven't even planted any makes me so jealous :) I'm still worried about frost :):):)
    Old 05-12-2010, 12:00 PM
    Power Poster

We just used cotton garden twine and yes, we tied it to the top of the fence. The weight is mainly on the top of the twine where it is secured to the fence top. We trained the vines at first to go up the twine and then they just took off. For melons, squash and heavier crops, I would use two pieces of twine wound together and the slings for extra support.
    Any of the vine crops will work this way. The vines get much larger when the crops are grown this way. The heavier the crops get, the thicker the vines get in return. We had several types of zuchini and cucumbers and even tried cantaloupe one year but it was too cool for them to get much size on them, we have a shorter growing season.
    I have even see pumpkins grown this way :D:D:D