Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Guess what I found at Goodwill today??!!! >
  • Guess what I found at Goodwill today??!!!

• Guess what I found at Goodwill today??!!!

Old 05-04-2010, 05:23 PM

Good plan ;-)
    Old 05-04-2010, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by clem55
    Tax write-offs!
    Hmmmmm you just hit the nail on the head. I didn't even think of that.
    Old 05-04-2010, 07:05 PM

You did a good deed....Just let it go now. Some lady will luck up and think she has hit the jackpot. Some good will come from your donation....put it behind you.
    Old 05-04-2010, 08:07 PM

Oh, RR, it will go to a good home, and someone somewhere will be delighted by their find. She probably could have
    Old 05-05-2010, 06:13 AM

I agree do what you can to see that she doesnt do it again. I have been ripped off, I still like to donate as a return for my many blessings,but, I now do it in person to person. No more ripp offs for me.
    Old 05-05-2010, 06:18 AM

I agree whole-heartedly! Tag her ad on Craigslist, so she doesn't do the same to someone else! That's just plain wrong!
    Old 05-05-2010, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by ginnie6
    I would first of all flag her ad on CL and then I would post on there about what happened. She's going to do this to someone else!
    Definitely flag the ad. That is just NOT right what she did.
    Old 05-05-2010, 06:46 AM

That reminds me of something my SIL did. For Christmas one year I gave them some hand-canned cranberry relish. It was for eating with a holiday meal. I made the relish and canned it in a pint-sized glass mason jar and I used a pinked fabric circle to decorate it by putting it on the lid and then screwing down the band. It was so pretty. The next Christmas, she gave us a basket filled with canned goods and lo and behold--there was the jar of cranberry relish I had given them the year before. Talk about tacky!
    Old 05-05-2010, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
    I left it there. I didn't want it around as a constant reminder of what a trusting idiot I was. I did email her and posted what she did on CL so that nobody else would get suckered in. When I give GW a donation I refuse to get a receipt, I don't make donations for tax breaks. It irks me think that someone may have used my stuff to do that with. However, if I had wanted to keep the fabric I would have so I guess it's all going for a good cause in the end.
    You were not a trusting idiot. You are a sweet generous lady. And she was not representing Catholic Charities. She was just using their name to trick people. As a Catholic I apologize. Catholic Charities does a lot of wonderful things to help people and they would be ashamed of her if she was with them. Here in the South we say, "What goes around, comes around." She is a sorry so and so.
    Old 05-05-2010, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
    Last week there was an add on our local Craigslist asking for free fabric--scraps or otherwise. I emailed the woman and asked what kind she was looking for. She said that she worked for Catholic Charities and made curtains, mended clothing, made table clothes, etc. She said that anything--knits, denim, corduroy, cotton, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I took 4 large lawn and leaf bags full of fabric to her. Yes, that's what I found at Goodwill today---MY DONATED FABRIC!!!! Not that I care about the fabric, I wanted rid of it, but it she'd just been honest, I could have taken it to Goodwill myself. I was a little shocked and felt like I'd been scammed. When will people learn to tell the truth?
    Guess you could email her again and tell her you found a great buy at the Goodwill and there's "4 lg lawn & leaf bags full of fabric for her"!! Love to be a fly on the wall when she read that!