Gulf Oil Spill and Seafood

Old 05-24-2010, 06:37 PM
Power Poster

Oh, it makes me so sick too...all that wildlife. AND up here in Wisconsin, you hardly hear anything about it. I think the price of seafood AND gas are going to go WAY up, and we CANT bring back the wildlife! Or the jobs the fisherman , ect are losing!
Old 05-24-2010, 06:50 PM

What does anyone expect from an industry that price-fixed gas at over $4 a gallon a few years back, cried poverty, then made the highest profits in the history of the world?

They would rather pay lawyers than damages. While all the scapegoating, lying, and finger-pointing goes on, this is already killing what is left of Florida Gulf tourism and fishing, and it could wipe out the coral reefs off the keys. They are irreplaceable.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:12 PM
Power Poster

Wed. There is to be a memorial for the 11 men who lost their lives in this disaster in Jackson, MS. Please keep their families in your prayers. We no bodies closier is very difficult.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:18 PM
Power Poster

It's tragic. The government could have shut the drilling down if it failed any safety regulation, but chose not to before the leak. Too much re election money for the majority party is at stake. BP will pay all damages, the towns will have a big bank balance and that's it.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:24 PM

I feel such sorrow for what is happening to our earth, the people who were lost, those losing their livelihood, the wildlife and nature that is being devastated. I don't see an end in sight. I agree that it seems incomprehensible that BP or someone didn't consider that this could happen and have a plan B. All I can do is pray about the situation, and I am.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:13 AM

No the tragedy is that they have signed the permission papers for 8 more of these deep-water wells and that is just the ones they have signed since the explosion. No telling how many were signed before this happened.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:43 AM

Watched a 60 minutes on this this weekend and the sad thing is it could have been prevented!
There was a problem with a seal (it's a rubber seal and the week before one of the guys noticed chunks of rubber in the fluid coming up) and one of the two control boxes wasn't working and BP decided to go ahead anyway..
Old 05-25-2010, 08:58 AM

There's been continuing debates up here, in New England, about off-shore drilling (Grand Banks area, I think) and, whether a wind farm should be allowed off the Massachusets coast. Gee, hard decision, huh?! Sign me up for wind power!
Old 05-25-2010, 10:53 AM

Personally, Our government needs to hit them very hard with the only thing these greedy @%#$& understand. A BILLION DOLLAR A DAY FINE, plus clean up, compensation to the victims who have lost their lively hoodand anything else even remotely related. I hate the oil companies with a passion.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Janetlmt
The damage that is being done from this oil spill is making me sick. Every October we spend a week at Cape Hatteras NC..I wonder what it will be like at the waters edge of that pristine beach? We found a wonderful fish market where the boats come in and you can buy fresh shrimp for 1.50 a pound. In october it will probably be 15.00 a pound. Will it be safe to eat seafood? I guess only time will tell.
I'll be heading that way in two weeks and will try to remember to let you know how it is. My husband and I fish a lot ourselves, and practically live off of fish and seafood. But then we fresh water fish at home too.