Had a car accident today

Old 04-02-2010, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
I actually don't want to see a chiropractor either. I'm ok, just sore.

I've had the same doctor for too many years to remember. He's really great, caring and easy to talk to. I don't know what he would do either. Yeah... my shoulder hurts which isn't surprising if it was slammed against the seat belt.
After my car accident, I went home called their insurance company and my left arm went numb. I went to the ER and the neurosurgeon was there,. He admitted me to the hospital and 4 days later I had surgery to fuse my cervical spine in a titanium cage and remove the discs. To make matters worse, by time her insurance company got around to inspecting both vehicles, she had hers repaired and so the adjuster denied my claim saying there was no damage. Even thought the bumper on my husbands truck was bent, she said there was no way her clients car caused the accident. And then she had the nerve to tell me I "inflicted the wounds upon myself". Like I wanted my neck broke....lol
Old 04-02-2010, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
I do need to see a chiropractor. I called my doctor and the woman said that he doesn't do that type of appointment (when I said I was in an accident).

Just my shoulder hurts.
I would get a new doctor. Don't go to a chiropractor, when I was in my accident I lucked out and the top neurosurgeon in the state was on call. He told me chiropractors are quacks....lol
Go see a neurosurgeon or an orthopedic doctor.
What a shame that doctor called chiropractors quacks. Most doctors have the good sense to recognize their value. In CT, my chiropractor and neurologist REFER PATIENTS TO EACH OTHER. They have very good 'working' relationships, and both have helped me with different probllems. This is Pam's thread, so I won't put details here, but I'll start a new thread for anyone who is interested - I'll call it chiropractors and neurologists - both are valuable medical practioners.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:37 PM
Power Poster

Pam, it could be a tear that you are feeling in your shoulder, they don't always cause excrutiating pain...but once a tear starts, they don't heal all the way up and they will continue to tear...then it is major surgery and months or healing and phys therapy... I know, I just went through that a couple of years ago. It really wouldn't hurt to go and get it checked out, I can't imagine my doctor saying he wouldn't see me after my car accident...
Old 04-02-2010, 10:23 PM

Pam - I hurt my shoulder in a fall in Aug - babied it for a couple months - then found out it had frozen. I just finished 4 months of physical therapy, and I ALMOST have full range of motion back. Moral - see doctor, don't baby it, get physical therapy ASAP if doc says you should.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:58 AM

I'm so glad you're okay!! Accidents are NO FUN!! I've been in five (no tickets for me!) and each one--no matter how much damage there is--seems to be harder to take emotionally. They are scary and it's hard to trust other drivers once you're driving again.

Take it easy.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:25 PM
Power Poster

That is just terrible. These things happen so fast. I'm glad you aren't hurt to bad. I bet you will get more sore as the days go on. Take care.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:38 PM
Power Poster

Pam, get it checked out. You need to at least get it documented that you sought treatment and had some aches and pains, in case it gets worse later. I'm so sorry this happened to you. And Barb - I am so glad your son survived that crash.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:28 AM

Happy Easter Pam. I hope you are feeling somewhat better today.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:42 PM
Google Goddess

Pam, Please go to the emergency room and get checked out! You better be safe than sorry!

Craftybear
Old 04-08-2010, 07:11 PM

I am so mad I could spit nails!!! First, I am fine and no, I didn't go to the chiropractor.

I am sitting here with this letter typed and waiting to hit SEND. What do you think? Too emotional? Robert told me that the value of my SUV is $9900, the repairs were originally $8200, and the salvage value is $3400. I figured they were going to total my SUV. Now he says the repairs come to only $4988 and they will use the lift gate and FLOOR from a front-end wrecked SUV to replace mine!!

Robert,

Thank you for the update. I will look over the work to be done and talk to the shop and to my contacts at Ford. As I stated on the phone, I am not pleased with the use of used parts to repair my SUV.

I am also unclear about exactly who you are working to lower the costs for. My insurance is NoName and the only reason that NoName sent their agent to look at the vehicle was that the other driver's insurance, SomeName, had not been responsive to contact. NoName stated that they would send someone to look at the SUV and the other insurance carrier would be invoiced for the work. Are you working to lower NoName's cost or the other insurance company's cost? Who is it that is limiting your repair budget? NoName or SomeName?

You stated on the phone in response to my question about not accepting used parts that I had no choice because my insurance agreement is that I accept OEM parts. I do not have to accept anything from NoName as I am not the driver at fault and my insurance carrier would not be paying for the repairs. Two mechanics that I spoke to this evening did not agree that using parts from a salvaged vehicle would be considered as OEM parts.

What will this repair do to the value of my SUV? If it is now valued at $9900, how much does this major repair decrease the value? If someone looks at Carfax and it shows a major collision repair, how much does this affect the resale value? And this is a MAJOR repair, to replace the floor in a uni-body vehicle.

Finally, I am leaving for an out-of-state vacation on April 21st (the day it is supposed to be ready). I most certainly will not be taking a newly repaired vehicle alone on a 4 hour drive for the first leg of my trip. I will be returning on April 27th and the SUV, if repaired at that shop, will need to stay there until then.