Hair Thinning ?

Old 09-02-2011, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by donnajean
Have you had the Thyroid tests? They are not part of the routine blood tests. Hair loss is one of the side effects of Hothyroidism.
-----------------------------
Sorry for this being so long, it just grew, all by itself as I searched the Internet.........................

I'd ask for a Thyroid test, not the TSH, check it out on the Internet. And here's a partial list of what I found on the Internet as being signs of a low Thyroid. And there are more than one type of Thyroids in the human body. Seems that the usual test, the gold standard of thyroid tests, may not be that accurate after all, since other things binds to it and registers "Plenty of thyroid in this body".
---------------------------------------
Do look through the Internet yourself, and do not believe every one, just see what all of them say.
-------------------------------------------------
This list below startled me...because I have several of them and had never been tested for or about them before even with telling doctors over the years about them. Seems that a lot of folks with low Thyroid have been given antidepressants instead of further testing...... now I wonder about my years of Migraines. Some doctors used to say it was all in my head..but the pain was real.
And I get cold when my house gets lower than 78 or 79 degrees, rarely, VERY rarely have to use the air conditioner in summer, love the heat. All I ever thought of it was how much I saved on the power bills. And the hoarse voice..was told it was a "touch" of Candida Albicans.
Makes me wonder about the weight loss, I can go on a diet and lose only a little weight, even though exercise can and does get me in shape even while exhausting me.
I'm going to discuss this with my two overweight daughters, both of whom are highly intelligent and well educated, yet are
vastly overweight in spite of eating well.
---------------------------------------------------------
Signs of a low Thyroid? From what I've seen with friends...thinning hair, loss of outer half of eyebrows, always cold, can't lose weight, ..........
FOUND ON THE NET.......
Muscle and joint pains, Carpal Tunnel/Tendonisis problems, neck discomfort/enlargement, a hoarse voice, tired all the time even if you get a lot of sleep and rest, cold hands and feet, dry skin, brain fog, insomnia, poor sleeping habits, tingling in hands and feet, muscle pain, edema..swelling in hands and feet/ankles, elevated Cholesterol, slow thinking, poor concentration, memory problems, waking up exhausted, constipation, slow heart rate, low blood pressure, thickened tongue, anemia, muscle cramps at night, slow reflexes, skin itches in the winter, recurrent headaches, decreased sweating, multiple miscarriages and infertility, pale, puffy pasty skin, decreased body hair, vertigo, low body temperature (below 98.6 degrees) fibrocystic breasts.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:31 AM

A couple of weeks ago went to a doctor for the first check up in 6 or so years, pickup one is in a couple of weeks. All test results should be in by then.
Blood tests I'll pick up copy of myself, and check it with some RNs I work with who aren't shy about giving their opinions. And my RN GD I'll talk to also about all this Thyroid stuff. Most I've discussed Thyroid with say Armour brand is best because it's real.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:40 AM

Pat, You know I went thru Chemo and my hair thinned on top.

I bought this @ Sally's : It is a volumizer, ion,volume solutions
then @ the Beauty Salon: Full Thickening Cream
By, living proof

You just spray or rub in hair and makes it look and feel thicker...... I have several women using it now.....
Your Hair dresser should know about it
Like we don't have enough we go thru.......now our HAIR!!!!!
Old 09-02-2011, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

Dr. OZ told women to use that minoxidole (sp) that men use. there are several products out there but talk to your Doctor or Dermatologist about which is best.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:57 PM

My hairdresser? LOL.....they'd laugh me out of a salon.:-D Thanks for the recommend, will check it out.

I bought this @ Sally's : It is a volumizer, ion,volume solutions
then @ the Beauty Salon: Full Thickening Cream
By, living proo :-D
Old 09-02-2011, 02:58 PM

Thanks for all the info. never had thyroid checked, so far as I know.Will see what I can find out, thanks again.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Power Poster

SOMETIMES MEDS WIL THIN YOUR HAIR
Old 09-02-2011, 08:05 PM

I was on a med that caused significant hair loss. Got off of it and started taking Biotin from WalMart or Pharmacy. It is a supplement. Hair grew in so thick. Nails have improved. I take 1 of the 5000mg tab a day. Just had my labs run and everything is fantastic. Pureology Essential hair products also contains Biotin. Expensive but sure worth it if your hair is not healthy. I buy from Amazon.com rather from Supply Stores because it is cheaper. Good Luck. Let us know what you find out to be the cause.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by plainpat
Thanks for all the info. never had thyroid checked, so far as I know.Will see what I can find out, thanks again.
Most docs just do the "TSH" test. It's not acurate. You need a Thyroid panel that includes T4's & T3's.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by plainpat
My Mom had a full head of hair when she passed away at 90.It only turned full gray in the last couple yrs.

I sure didn't inherit that! Not only is mine gray/silver,but in the last 6 mos,I'm aware of losing lots of hair when combing,washing or just running my fingers thru it.

Had a total hip replacement 3 mos ago,along with all the tests,Dr's visits etc,so it's not as if I have a hidden disease.

I'm 72 & looks like I'm gonna be bald.It's another one of those things a Dr has no answer for. :(
Maybe you should get your thyroid checked. Often a slow producing one tells on itself by the person having hair thinning in the middle (crown area) of their head. If that is the case then you will be given a pill to supplement what your thyroid produces and your hair will start to grow back. This works only if that is the issue. An upside to thyroid drugs is that they increase your metabolism and promotes weight loss in some patients. Look up hypothyriodism and see if these symptoms describe you. I'm not a doctor or in the medical field and I'm not giving medical advice, I just have a lot of mature friends that are having this issue also. God Bless.