Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Has the American consumer lost its collective mind? >
  • Has the American consumer lost its collective mind?

• Has the American consumer lost its collective mind?

Old 04-06-2011, 04:48 PM
    Power Poster

Not me hon. I can't even see paying half a million for a house!! but call me crazy.
    Old 04-06-2011, 05:24 PM

Ive often thought of how Id spend $$ if I won the lottery - cant for the life of me think of things to buy!!!! I mean Ithtink of things, and then say to myself, why would I want THAT! Id like an electric car, Id like a really nice bicycle, and a house thats pd for, but not a mcmansion, just a farmhouse w/ lots of farmland- no jewels, no watches, no "toys". And never have I considered jeans filled w/ holes! I think its an insult to people who have to wear clothes till they fall off cus they just cant afford anything new. share t
    Old 04-06-2011, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    For further proof Americans have gone crazy, price prom dresses. :shock: I know people paying $500!!!!!!
    That is why I just finished making one for my DN, still cost me nearly $100. (sparkles as requested, are not as easy to pay for as good cotton.)
    Old 04-06-2011, 08:47 PM

[quote=redkimba]Let's face it - if you had a TON of money to spend (with no problem of getting more), wouldn't you buy it?

Definitely NOT! I grew up in the '40's when blue jeans were what people on a very limited budget got for their children because they lasted a long time. It's only been within the last year that I've gotten a pair, again because they last forever.
    Plus, I could never find one that actually fit, now that I've had children! Same weight as before children, just distributed in a whole different pattern!
    :D

Wouldn't it be nice if all those big spenders chose to purchase common folk priced clothing? Maybe the Brand Name makers would find the common sense the once had.
    Old 04-06-2011, 08:56 PM

I know I raised my daughter right- I read the first post out loud and my DD says to me "Who would pay that much for a pair of jeans?"
    Old 04-06-2011, 09:06 PM

A resounding YES!!! I live in an affluent community and I see it day in and day out. How can people with money have so little understanding of it's worth?! It is said that millionaires who are happiest live lives just like anyone else, not the high flying, conspicuous consumption lives we always hear about. I believe it!

Crop tops came into trend when our DD was a teenager. DH and I were shopping one day when he looked at a top, looked at the price tag and exclaimed, "I'm not paying $35.00 for half a shirt!"
    Old 04-06-2011, 09:21 PM

I'll bet I'm the best tread setter here if ripped holely jeans is all it take. And I also own designer dust rags to That I'll let go at rock bottom price of $35 a peice (DH old holey underwear) some nut will buy them
    Old 04-06-2011, 09:33 PM

Hey Ladies, we could start our own mail order business selling our old, worn out, holey jeans! We just need a really funky brand name to hang on them, and they'll sell like hotcakes! Who wants in on this terrific idea?
    Old 04-06-2011, 10:30 PM
    lue

People will pay $179 for jeans and won't give money to feed a homeless person. But then, I buy too much at Goodwill. Hmmmmm.... Go figure!
    Old 04-06-2011, 10:30 PM
    lue

People will pay $179 for jeans and won't give money to feed a homeless person. But then, I buy too much at Goodwill. Hmmmmm.... Go figure!