Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Has anyone had this issue? (Dental problems) >
  • Has anyone had this issue? (Dental problems)

• Has anyone had this issue? (Dental problems)

Old 03-25-2010, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Barb_MO
    I would get a second opinion also. and ask the current dentist for you xrays to take with you when you go to the new dentist. Not only the current xray, but previous ones also. Who knows, they might not even be your xrays.
    don't let the dentist tell you they don't give back the x-rays. a lot of doctors/dentists try to keep them. insist that they belong to you because they were paid for by you. threaten to report him to the dental board or whoever.
    i had a radiologist that wouldn't give me my x-rays when i changed insurers. i had to argue in the waiting room and embarrass him and insist they belonged to me before he would hand them over. they don't want you going elsewhere. but you need them as a baseline for future exams for anything.
    Old 03-25-2010, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by OHSue
    Originally Posted by Sharon321
    Second, babies do not leech calcium for your teeth. Pregnancy does however change the quality of your saliva, increase inflammation of gum tissue and nausea or acid reflux can increase the acidity in the mouth. Also many women if nausous of tissues inflammed do not do adequate home care.

Yes their are "bad" dentists just like every other profession. Detection of decay is not black or white but a judgement call which will differ from dentist to dentist. Personally with your history of lapses in your recare visits and exams, I would fill anything suspicious because a borderline area will need a root canal and crown in two years. So to avoid that, he may be recommending filling in areas that he would watch in a more regular interval patient.

Have them show you pictures of these area and do an evaluation of all your risk factors. You need more information before you start treatment.
    Glad you spoke up about the baby leaching calcium issue, even though several posters said it did. As a nurse it didn't make sense to me. As for the dental assistant doing the cleaning, most folks don't know the difference between a dental assistant and a hygenist and use the terms interchangably.
    First, if I didn't say it before in a post, Sharon, it was great hearing from a professional. Your info was very helpful! I thought your point about a dentist trying to be proactive for patients who don't get regular care especially insightful. It would just be better if dentists would share their reasoning with us. Something like, "Look, you have some incipient cavities. They don't need filling just now, but you can choose to come back in 6 months for a re-evaluation or we can fill them today."

Sue, great hearing from a nurse, too. Most of us go by our own experiences and what we've read, but that falls short of formal training and daily experience on the job.

Sue, it's true, we lay folk do use assistant and hygienist interchangeably, though I've known a few offices where the same person held both roles. Though that may have been years ago.

I read several posts saying pregnancy caused changes in their teeth, but most posters did NOT specifically say the baby leaches calcium even when they did mention calcium as an issue. Of course when a mother and a fetus are competing for nutrients, the body tries to make sure the fetus gets enough, even at the expense of the mother, but this isn't the only thing that happens in pregnancy.
    Old 03-26-2010, 04:25 AM

Several years ago, I went to the dentist and asked what that was on my molar (black spot). I knew it went wrong when the tech told the dentist I was having problems with that molar (it had been filled once before). No it was not bothering me. The dentist then began to drill out the old filling and put in new, I thought he was working on that black spot on the side of the tooth. Long story short, it was not covered by my insurance - I was out of area and had to pay the majority. Lesson learned call ahead to see if that dentist is on your ins. and two get second opinun on major work.
    Old 03-26-2010, 07:03 AM

Once again, xrays are the property of the doctor or facility by law. YOU CAN ask for a copy. Most medical facilities automatically give copies by CD-Rom now. What you pay for is the service of take the exam and its interpretation. I have always believed that patient's deserve a thorough explaination of any treatment necessary. By the way, you can always speak up or refuse to open your mouth until you are satisfied that work needs to be done. Remember, silence is consent in lots of matters. Most dentists now require written consent before treatment is done as a way of protecting themself from either malpractice of loss of their license In is very frustrating as a practioner when a patient remains silent in the office and then complains on the phone the next day.
    Old 03-26-2010, 08:29 AM

BEFORE GOING TO THE SECOND DENTIST.....GET THOSE XRAYS FROM THE FIRST DENTIST. This way, you won't have to pay for additional xrays and the new dentist can tell you if there is anything on them.,,.,.supposedly that is what the first dentist used to determine if you had cavities...they should be visible...I would also make sure that the receptionist had the right patient and records when talking to you....but definitely get those xrays.
    Best of luck.
    Old 03-26-2010, 09:16 AM

And most Dentidts only work 3 or 4 days a week!
    Old 03-26-2010, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Sharon321
    Once again, xrays are the property of the doctor or facility by law. YOU CAN ask for a copy. Most medical facilities automatically give copies by CD-Rom now. What you pay for is the service of take the exam and its interpretation. I have always believed that patient's deserve a thorough explaination of any treatment necessary. By the way, you can always speak up or refuse to open your mouth until you are satisfied that work needs to be done. Remember, silence is consent in lots of matters. Most dentists now require written consent before treatment is done as a way of protecting themself from either malpractice of loss of their license In is very frustrating as a practioner when a patient remains silent in the office and then complains on the phone the next day.
    in nj the x-rays belong to the patient, and any dr or dentist who's challenged on the issue gives them up immediately. they were paid for by you or your insurance company which is paid by you. they weren't paid for by the dentist. in most cases they are offered without asking and you're told they belong to you. if you're changing over, why would they even want to store them?
    Old 03-26-2010, 10:15 AM

X-rays are part of a permanent record. Consider the most gruesome need would be identification in case of death. Sorry to say it but the truth. Also, in case of malpractice suite it is defendants evidence. Like I said laws vary from state to state. In Texas, x-rays belong to doctor and they are required to store them indefinately. Also, Texas law allows the dentist to charge up to $25.00 per page to copy any records. I think this excessive and most dentists that I know do it free of charge.
    Old 03-26-2010, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
    Originally Posted by Barb_MO
    I would get a second opinion also. and ask the current dentist for you xrays to take with you when you go to the new dentist. Not only the current xray, but previous ones also. Who knows, they might not even be your xrays.
    don't let the dentist tell you they don't give back the x-rays. a lot of doctors/dentists try to keep them. insist that they belong to you because they were paid for by you. threaten to report him to the dental board or whoever.
    i had a radiologist that wouldn't give me my x-rays when i changed insurers. i had to argue in the waiting room and embarrass him and insist they belonged to me before he would hand them over. they don't want you going elsewhere. but you need them as a baseline for future exams for anything.
    I worked in the records department of a medical facility and in MN the x-rays are yours even if your insurance paid for them. Don't let them tell you otherwise. They don't give you the originals but they do have to make copies for you. Sometimes there is a charge but usually not for the 1st set.
    Good luck and let us know what you find out.
    ~Deb~
    Old 03-26-2010, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Granny B
    And most Dentidts only work 3 or 4 days a week!
    I don't know about that. In the Philadelphia area, most dentists (and doctors) have more than one office. So they may only be in one office a couple days each week and another office on the other days.

I have no idea why they feel the need for multiple locations, since their schedules are always full.

Then again, if a dentist does choose to work only 3 - 4 days/week, that may be a good thing. We all want our dentists to be well rested when they're drilling into us!