Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Has anyone had this issue? (Dental problems) >
  • Has anyone had this issue? (Dental problems)

• Has anyone had this issue? (Dental problems)

Old 03-29-2010, 07:31 PM

I agree with everyone here on the second opinion. My Mom used a dentist locally, who took her to the cleaners and ruined her teeth. Long story so I won't go into all of it.
    But in the end she ended up with a partial plate, which now causes all kinds of problems. Always breaking, replacement another $800.00, creates problems with the anchor teeth. Just a mess. She went back to the same dentist mind you, when one of those anchor teeth was bothering her. He told her she must have it pulled or have a root canal and crowned, and not to wait long to have it done. I insisted that she seek another opinion and the second dentist said there wasn't anything wrong with that tooth. Still, she was unconvinced and went to a third dentist. This one told her that the tooth was fine but that her partial plate needed to be adjusted and that was the source of her problem. That goodness she uses him all the time now.

First, there are disreputable dentists out there, second not all of them are good at what they do, and lastly there are those that are good and honest as well.

I would like to thank everyone for the information on antidepressants. Bad for me as I have to take them due to a plate full of medical issues. Worse also because I have Sjogren's syndrome which in itself causes dry mouth.

I also take prednisone which is bad for bone loss and they tried to make me take Actonel. It didn't work out for me and I stopped taking it, and refuse to try other meds. I take enough already without more. I do take calcium though to try to help out with bone loss.

I don't like dentists much and avoid them like the plague. I have only been half a dozen times in my adult life.
    With each child I lost a tooth, luckily for me it was just wisdom teeth. I've had one cavity in my entire adult life, so I've been lucky.

Good luck with the second dentist, hope this visit goes much better for you.
    Old 03-30-2010, 10:45 AM
    Banned

The composite is not strong enough for the back teeth and I am very aware it bonds to the teeth and am very aware it dose not last long at all. I have worked with the stuff for the last 23yrs, and see the results of its break down on a daily bases. except the last yr were I became disabled. and I have worked with many dentist and if they are honest ones like the ones I have worked with they will tell you the same thing. as I work side by side with the dentist I see it daily. as our teeth flex when we chew on the back teeth and there is so much pressure we are putting on them, this is exactly why the bond breaks down, it dose not flex and when the composite is cured it shrinks, so if not done right it won't even last 6 months. Penny
    Old 03-30-2010, 07:49 PM

Sorry Penny that has not been my experience. The latest generation composites are wonderful. Very little shrinkage, much less than expansion and contraction with amalgam. The stuff from 20 to 330 years ago wasn't strong enough for posterior teeth but todays is.
    Old 03-31-2010, 07:28 AM
    Power Poster

I think it stands to reason that hidden cavities that only show up on x rays are decaying from the inside out. You will have major problems later if you don't get them taken care of. Unless you never miss a day brushing and flossing twice a day, not getting teeth professionally cleaned twice a year, you will have plaque build up you cannot clean yourself. Plaque will not wash away. Bad teeth cause all kinds of health and emotional issues. I had bad teeth due to lack of dental care growing up. My dental problems didn't show up until much later and it cost me a fortune to correct. I worked a second job on weekdays and part time on weekends to pay for the extra cosmetic work I needed after the insurance paid for the basic. It was worth it. Having good healthy teeth is very important. If you aren't lucky to have them, buy them! LOL
    Old 03-31-2010, 07:45 AM

Yeah, I agree -- go to another dentist. Five years ago I had an appt in new town. Been 6 months since last visit with old dentist...and he made sure everything was good because I was retiring and wouldn't have dental ins. New dentist said I needed $3000.00 worth of work...that I was "in danger of TERRIBLE pain with abscessed teeth". Nope, I knew better. Didn't go back. Went back to old dentist and nothing. It's been 5 yrs and I'm STILL waiting for the TERRIBLE pain!

Also -- the technician MAY have gotten the xrays mixed up with someone elses?????????