Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Has anyone seen the movie Slumdog Millionaire? >
  • Has anyone seen the movie Slumdog Millionaire?

• Has anyone seen the movie Slumdog Millionaire?

Old 02-15-2010, 05:43 PM

I know the third world countries have alot of things going on that are shameful to Americans and stuff most of us think we would never be part of, but America is not free from things that are just as shameful. I work in law enforcement and most of my jobs over the past 25 years have been involved in it too. My youngest daughter is a school teacher and tells me some pretty bad stories about some of her kids in her class too.

You'd be surprised at the things children in our country have to endure by having parents who are involved with drugs. They prostitute their children out to get drugs, do not feed them properly and sometimes hardly any food each day so they can have more money for drugs. They also take the meds some of these sick kids have to take so they can get high on them and the kids do without and suffer from it. And so many people are losing their jobs and homes that the children suffer severely from those conditions. It is appalling to think that some of our own children right here in the US suffer as they do when so many people are worrying and trying to take up donations for the kids overseas. I say take care of our children in the US too and don't ignore the problems here. I don't like to see any child suffer. My daughter gets so upset over some of her kids in her class that she comes to my house and cries her heart out after school because a child came to school very dirty, hungry or suffering cause their parents did not take care of them properly. One little boy tells her "I did not have any medicine today cause mama took it all and can't get it filled again for sev weeks or daddy spent the grocery money on dope." I told her anyone could have children but it takes a real good person to be a "parent". One of the 4 year olds in my Sunday school class told me one Sunday she did not have panties on cause daddy did not do the laundry and all 3 of her panties were dirty. I wanted to run out and buy a package of panties for her but preacher's wife was afraid I would insult her dad so said she would have her husband talk to him to see if they might have any special needs the Church could help them with. Pray for all children who are suffering, no matter where they are.
    Old 02-15-2010, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I talked to my friend some more about India. He comes from a well to do area but he said in America that would be considered the same as living in shacks. He said the poorest Americans live better then the working class does in India. Clean houses aren't the norm, isn't that much thought about. Laundry isn't done that often, clothes are worn more than a few times between washings. He said after coming to the US as a student he knew he would never go back to that lifestyle. The rich have better clothes and bigger houses but they aren't all that particular about clean from the ones he has known there.
    Interesting, and yet when they get here, almost all are always clean, with clothes always pressed. I remember one woman remarking to me that it's different here, that "in America, you can't [do certain things, I forget what] because you have to keep the carpeting clean." And it just kind of surprised me. I mean, this woman was always clean. I figured it came naturally to her.

Actually, I thought keeping things clean was a Hindu practice. Maybe not to US standards, though.
    Old 02-15-2010, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
    I recently read a book called Sold which spoke about the conditions for girls in Napal being sold into prostitution and slavery. I think we cannot turn a blind eye to the conditions around the world. We, as a society (not including a small percentage of conscientious individuals), think little to nothing of wearing clothes made by child labor in other countries, or getting cheaply made goods from sweatshops in third-world countries. What we see of India on television and tourist books is vastly different from what this movie portrayed. Presenting reality might not be pleasant, but it does expose the poverty and depredation that many of us had no idea about. This reminds me of the book Three Cups of Tea where one man became enlightened to the lack of education in rural Pakistan and made a promise to help that has affected thousands of children's lives. This movie has shown light on the condition of many of India's children that hopefully has enlightened those who can make changes to help. If that movie has improved the lives of even a small percentage of children in India, then it was worth the effort. I do hope that the producers put back a large portion of the profits of the movie to help the children in that country.
    Very good point.

Originally Posted by earthwalker
    The majority of people watch films for escapism and entertainment...this is perhaps not the film for this purpose
    Guess not, but that is how it was billed. So perhaps the worst parts should have been saved for a different kind of drama or for a documentary. Or else it shouldn't have been billed as it was.

I agree, it's important for us to know about these things and to take action on them when we can. I do hope it has stirred people to take some kind of action to stop this kind of thing. But then, I read that one of the child actors was still living in the slum after they made the movie. Public censure had to shame the movie producers into getting the child a house. So even the moviemakers apparently didn't take even the most basic action that they should have.

Sorry, I'm getting close to starting a political-economic rant here, so I'd better stop.
    Old 02-15-2010, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
    I recently read a book called Sold which spoke about the conditions for girls in Napal being sold into prostitution and slavery. I think we cannot turn a blind eye to the conditions around the world. We, as a society (not including a small percentage of conscientious individuals), think little to nothing of wearing clothes made by child labor in other countries, or getting cheaply made goods from sweatshops in third-world countries. What we see of India on television and tourist books is vastly different from what this movie portrayed. Presenting reality might not be pleasant, but it does expose the poverty and depredation that many of us had no idea about. This reminds me of the book Three Cups of Tea where one man became enlightened to the lack of education in rural Pakistan and made a promise to help that has affected thousands of children's lives. This movie has shown light on the condition of many of India's children that hopefully has enlightened those who can make changes to help. If that movie has improved the lives of even a small percentage of children in India, then it was worth the effort. I do hope that the producers put back a large portion of the profits of the movie to help the children in that country.
    It is hard to watch, and I cried through a lot of the movie. But just because it's hard for us to watch and it's not a feel-good-movie doesn't mean it shouldn't have won an award... It makes me appreciate more than ever that we live in a free, yet just country!

As for being cognizant of wearing clothing (or otherwise) made from child labor: It's a hard dilemma for me, but hear me out...

A family very close to my heart grew up in Nepal as refugees from Tibet and worked in a factory, as a family. To them, it wasn't right for the children to work, but at the same time- if they didn't work, they didn't eat. The more hands working meant food for everyone. So while they themselves didn't agree with children working, they did because it meant life- and eventually freedom from a country that treated them with no rights or privileges (not even Tibetan children born in Nepal have rights)- for them. In other words: if there weren't businesses, domestic and foreign, buying rugs from their factory, it simply meant they didn't live or didn't have the opportunity to get an education, etc...
    So. Consider that, I suppose... I would imagine it's not a far-off guess that they were not the only family in that same situation.

Ahh... yes, Slumdog Millionaire is a sad movie, but I think it may touch your heart in ways that you never realized were possible. I think it's a great way for us to think beyond our 'world' of freedom, rights and a fair and just government- a lot of people live without any of those things. I'm thankful and blessed!
    Old 02-15-2010, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by deedles215
    ... just because it's hard for us to watch and it's not a feel-good-movie doesn't mean it shouldn't have won an award... It makes me appreciate more than ever that we live in a free, yet just country!
    I don't think anyone here said it wasn't worthy of an award. I said it shouldn't have been billed as a rags-to-riches feel-good movie. Or at least not without some warning that there are some very dark parts in it.

I'm totally with you on appreciating America more than ever! I've been thinking just that these last few days, that I'm very glad to be here and not there.

Originally Posted by deedles215
    As for being cognizant of wearing clothing (or otherwise) made from child labor...
    I've long been unhappy about buying things made overseas for a variety of reasons, not just the child labor issue. Working conditions in many third-world sweatshops are bad for everyone, not just kids.

I don't understand why companies scream about leveling the playing field when it comes to some things (liquor licenses and smoking sections in restaurants and bars, for example) but don't scream about leveling the playing fields for US factories and offices vs. those in other countries. US companies that manufacture their goods overseas should be required to maintain the same standards in those factories as they do in the US and should also be paying excise taxes or whatever to keep it level - by which I mean, it would give them the incentive to keep their jobs here. Sorry, I'm starting to rant again.

I see your point, btw, about the child jobs at least allowing the families to earn enough to eat, but then again, forcing the companies to pay their parents a living wage would achieve the same thing without making the kids have to work.

Would it jack up clothing (and other) prices for the rest of us? Yes, but then we'd be forced to "vote with our feet" and not buy new clothes every season, not buy clothes that don't last. Durability and quality in general would come back. Planned obsolescence would lose its market share...

... and those third-world countries that rely on American purchases to support their economy could maybe work on developing their own economy. Yes, I know this went off on a tangent.
    Old 02-16-2010, 08:53 AM

i'm curious to know if we have any members on the board who are from india who could tell us something about the culture there. it must be different for the people with money and those without, just as it is here. anyone out there?

in this case, please don't be in hiding.
    Old 02-16-2010, 12:16 PM

If you have issues with violence or abuse, even if it's not directly shown, do not continue watching. Your mind will fill in the blanks that are missing in the movie and it will be bad for you.
    Old 02-16-2010, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
    Yup, aftermath would be too tough to take, too. Whatever made this thing a smash success? Thanks for letting me know.

At least it wasn't a rental. This library lets you borrow DVDs for free.

I need to find another movie to watch. :-(
    how far back do you want to go?
    Old 02-16-2010, 01:40 PM

Butterflywing, you're asking how far back I want to go, but how far back about what?

If you're asking about movie recommends, that's why I started the other thread. I'm not against older movies, it's just more likely that I've seen them. Also, it's more likely that the library will have them on DVD.

I have several movies on my hold list at the library for now, but I'm always open to good suggestions.

Lost is on tonight (yes, I watched all the previous seasons and am now tuning in for the last one). It's not exactly the "heartwarming" type of thing I'm looking for right now, but it'll do.

If you meant something else, let me knwo.
    Old 02-16-2010, 01:43 PM

It was a very good movie. Not everything in life is butterflies and puppies (happy and innocent). The ending of the film shows that good did prevail in spite of all the crap, FYI.