Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Has anyone tried Ancestry.com? >
  • Has anyone tried Ancestry.com?

• Has anyone tried Ancestry.com?

Old 03-02-2012, 09:53 PM

Genealogy is a puzzle, quilting is a puzzle...if you like puzzles, you will like Ancestry & quilting
    Old 03-02-2012, 10:14 PM

I have Ancestry Deluxe World, or whatever they call the full monte now. It gives me access to all kinds of records around the world. It's expensive, but it's my only big expense as far as entertainment.

It's interesting to learn where your family was from...and try to figure out the why of it all.

Originally Posted by Gabrielle's Mimi
    I signed up for Ancestry.com after watching several episodes of "Who Do You Think You Are?" I wasn't sure how to proceed, but it is very intuitive and easy to use. Guess what? I have traced my Boston-area grandparents back to the very early 1600s in Plymouth and area. The ones before that, in the 1500s, are from England I learned, and so I am pursuing that info. I have also traced one grandmother's family back to Ireland, and the other side of the family back to the 1800s in IL, and both sides of my husband's family way back. I even found the name of the ships
    various family members came to America on in the 1800s. It is amazing!!! I go to log on and check a few things and the next thing I know it's 4 hours later! I didn't know it would be so addictive.
    Old 03-03-2012, 09:38 PM
    Power Poster

My Oldest Daughter has had it for years and has been able to find out lots of info for me. I was able to get a picture of my Great Grandfather and Great Grandma on their wedding day 2/26/1890. She was in the D.A.R. but, dropped it, not very interesting. Other than my Grandkids, who don't care, I had no one to share all we found out with as my 4 siblings are gone and my parents also. No one in the family cares, except our Son and this Daughter. Found my Mom didn't know her Dad's real first and middle names. Nor how her Mom spelled her fist name. I would have liked to have told her all I now know. She died in mid eighties. We sent for lots of documents and Daughter now has them.
    Old 03-03-2012, 10:30 PM

I also use Ancestry.com. I've had so much fun and also frustration tracing all my family on both sides. I pay 34.95 per month for access. Have talked to so many people related to my family way back. I guess if you go far enough back we all are related in some way or another. Also interesting to find "black sheep". I'm sure most everyone has them....lol.
    Old 03-04-2012, 06:29 AM

I use it free at our library.
    Old 03-06-2012, 12:41 AM

I use it and Family Search.org. I found my birth father's on a 1945 state census on Family search.org. Then I found a cousin (from his side) who loves genealogy on the web. Contacted her and the rest is history.
    Old 03-06-2012, 05:15 PM

Gosh, I wish I would not have come across this! I told myself once I retired I would get a subscription. One of my cousins traced back my father's side. According to this cousin we are related to a signer of the Declaration of Independance. This cousin was a drama queen, and I have the records, so I've tried retracing the history. I worked on this several years ago and just got too busy. There is a break in the history which makes me question how accurate the records are. Knowing my cousin she could make the leap. Our family name was Stone and the signer was Thomas Stone from Maryland. She also has us connected to royalty in England. All of this is a little hard to believe considering my father came from a family of 11 kids born to a dirt poor farmer in western Kentucky!