Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Has this ever happened to you?  Never in my sewing life.... >
  • Has this ever happened to you? Never in my sewing life....

• Has this ever happened to you? Never in my sewing life....

Old 03-25-2011, 04:36 PM

I had that happen a couple of weeks ago..Was using Coats in my machine and had a knot in the thread
    Old 03-25-2011, 04:44 PM

UGH!! I would KNOT be happy if that happened to me. I can sort of almost forgive a knot in thread that you'll be hand sewing with as you'll FIND it, and I've found knots in yarn when knitting. But I would be soooo peeved if I found a big old clunky knot in my expensive machine thread.

And I say "almost forgive" because I really don't see a reason for it.
    Old 03-25-2011, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
    But what if you were working on a very special quilt that you didn't want a thread breakage or whatever you want to call it? This was variegated thread and caused a color variance.
    Here's what I would do. Pull thread off the spool until the variegation matches the place where you had to stop because of the knot. Do the same with the bobbin thread if it's also variegated. Then start stitching again.
    Old 03-25-2011, 04:52 PM

In all my years of sewing, I have had that happen many times, but rarely such a BIG knot! Use those on the serger loopers, where it does not matter...
    Old 03-25-2011, 05:02 PM

I use thread from ThreadArt and every cone has a knot. I know it happens, I buy the cheaper brand. I would expect better from the more expensive brands like YLI. You should email them. Most companies want to know if there is a problem with the quality of their product.
    I recently had a problem with Kleenex brand tissues (lint all over when I pulled out a tissue). I emailed them and got a very nice responce, they mailed me free coupons for Kleenex, and they explained that they will follow-up with the manufacturing branch. :thumbup:
    Old 03-25-2011, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by MaryStoaks
    I use thread from ThreadArt and every cone has a knot. I know it happens, I buy the cheaper brand. I would expect better from the more expensive brands like YLI. You should email them. Most companies want to know if there is a problem with the quality of their product.
    I recently had a problem with Kleenex brand tissues (lint all over when I pulled out a tissue). I emailed them and got a very nice responce, they mailed me free coupons for Kleenex, and they explained that they will follow-up with the manufacturing branch. :thumbup:
    Yes, I did e-mail them and also a picture of the knot. Don't know what will come of it. It would be nice to get some free thread out of it; but that is not my intention. I just want them to know I expect better out of their company. As someone else mentioned, it could have messed up the timing in my machine. The walking foot was having a terrible time; glad it didn't break. Oh well, we'll see.
    Old 03-26-2011, 05:12 AM

It happens more often these days than i would like - or is it that we just get all of the 'seconds'?
    Old 03-26-2011, 05:53 AM

yes I would let the company know about it. good thing you have a good picture to show.
    Old 03-26-2011, 06:08 AM

I used to use Coats when garment sewing. Will NOT use it in my quilt projects.
    Old 03-26-2011, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by MaryStoaks
    I quit using Kleenex brand several years ago because of this issue. I have enough breathing problems without a dust cloud out of the box.