have you ever done this?

Old 12-05-2010, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by mzsooz
I'm an idiot. I can't believe I did this. I forgot to subtract our $1100. house payment from the checkbook! I was so excited that we had extra money this time that I paid some bills that could have waited. So now everything is bouncing. When the dust clears there will be 10 $20 overcharge fees! Not a darn thing I can do about it either. I feel so stupid and my DH is VERY mad at me. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Does your bank have online banking. Ours does and if I go to online banking bill pay I can see the amount in our acct. and it has a preview which shows what the bal. will be after payment and then you click to either pay or cancel. It also lets me check the balance anytime. I switched to the duplicate checks because often I would forget to put my check and amount in the register booklet esp. if I was writing a check at a store.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by starshine
Does your bank have online banking. Ours does and if I go to online banking bill pay I can see the amount in our acct. and it has a preview which shows what the bal. will be after payment and then you click to either pay or cancel. It also lets me check the balance anytime. I switched to the duplicate checks because often I would forget to put my check and amount in the register booklet esp. if I was writing a check at a store.
the problem was I set up an automatic withdrawal with my mortgage company to come out while I was out of town. When I got back into town I totally forgot about it and thought I had all this money in there so I payed lots of bills and THEN the house payment went through. Thats how I found out what I'd done. When I saw all the overdraft charges when I went online to check my balance. Which left us with not one dime for Christmas presents this year. I'm sewing like mad!!
:cry:
Old 12-06-2010, 07:18 AM

the problem was I set up an automatic withdrawal with my mortgage company to come out while I was out of town. When I got back into town I totally forgot about it and thought I had all this money in there so I payed lots of bills and THEN the house payment went through. Thats how I found out what I'd done. When I saw all the overdraft charges when I went online to check my balance. Which left us with not one dime for Christmas presents this year. I'm sewing like mad!!
:cry:
Yea, I haven't signed up for automatic payment b/c I'm afraid I'll forget it will come out and i won't remember it or like with the gas bill it will be so much more than I planned. It is frustrating when you try to be on top of things and then mess up yourself on top of it. Ouch. But that was a good idea to have it paid while you were out of town. I have now learned if I ever do it for a one time like this I will put a BIG note on my wall calandar to see when I return home. It is so easy to forget something like this when you get back from a trip- it would be for me. Hope you have a nice Christmas in spite of the situation.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:20 PM

Hope you have a nice Christmas in spite of the situation.
Thanks! My mom saved the day. She is letting me put stuff on her credit cards for now. I hate to do that but the kids just have to have something to open. I'm not able to get any sewing done. My DD texted me this morning and said "when are you coming?" I responded "didn't know I was!". Turns out she wanted me to watch Eclipse with her. So I went over, watched the movie, played with my DGD and ended up washing the dishes, doing laundry and cleaning her house. I'm afraid to look at my phone tomorrow! :lol: :lol:
Old 12-06-2010, 09:46 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

This happened to me too.. Guess the banks can only read numbers and not words!!!! So then why on earth put a MEMO line then?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Originally Posted by Mimito2
I had a habit of writing my house payment for 2 months at a time (send Feb with Jan etc.) I was constantly getting those skip a payment envelops in the mail (to tempting) so I was just tossing them unopened into a basket (stupid me). I get a call transferred to me at work from the Presidents secretary no less. It is my original loan officer wanting to know what "WE" are going to do about the 3 month delinquent mortgage. They are starting foreclosure proceedings. I freak and forget where I am and in not a low voice ask him what the he!! he is talking about. Just happened to have that checkbook in my purse and told him exact dates and amounts paid and the notations on the bottom of the check that said 2 months payment for _____ & _____. He starts double talking about he will check into it but will have to call me back. I told him no that I since everyone at work was already listening that I would hold until he got everything resolved. Seems that the tellers were not listening to my instructions "written and verbal" and since the next months payment was not showing on their computer as being "due" they didn't know to handle it and were applying my payment to the principle instead. He then tried to tell me that I was still going to be responsible for the "late" fees that I had not incurred. Needless to say that I didn't pay the late fees either. If I see him in the bank now he walks the other way.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:13 AM

Hope you have a nice Christmas in spite of the situation.
Thanks! My mom saved the day. She is letting me put stuff on her credit cards for now. I hate to do that but the kids just have to have something to open. I'm not able to get any sewing done. My DD texted me this morning and said "when are you coming?" I responded "didn't know I was!". Turns out she wanted me to watch Eclipse with her. So I went over, watched the movie, played with my DGD and ended up washing the dishes, doing laundry and cleaning her house. I'm afraid to look at my phone tomorrow! :lol: :lol:
Moms never stop being moms. Mine helped us out with Christmas one year when DH lost his job (totally unexpected) the end of Oct. Hey want to come over to my house to "watch" a movie- I could use some help with laundry and dishes. :-)