Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Have you ever heard of a baby doing this? >
  • Have you ever heard of a baby doing this?

• Have you ever heard of a baby doing this?

Old 11-25-2010, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by hannajo
    I realize all babies develop different skills at different ages. But today, the baby I nanny for (I affectionately call her "my baby.") pooped in the potty - twice. And she is seven months old.

I know the parents had been using the potty chair when she appeared to be preparing to poop. Well today, she was "tooting" and squirming like she usually does before she poops. So for fun I decided I put her on - she still can't even sit without a little support. And sure enough she poops. After she went the second time, I'm convinced she knows what she's doing. I'm absolutely amazed. I thought the dad was a little bit nuts when he told me he bought her the potty chair... I've never even heard of trying to potty train a child until at least 18 months for the most mature.

Do you know of other babies that potty train so early, or is my family just full of slow developers?
    That's exactly how my mother trained each of us kids and we were out of diapers by age 1.
    Old 11-25-2010, 09:36 AM

There was a study done in maybe Australia and children not toilet trained is the biggest issue for first year at school children
    Old 11-25-2010, 05:32 PM

My belief had been that when they are dry thru the night, they are ready to go potty. I think that just like walking, talking, etc., the control is developed as they grow. Some sooner than others.

My psycology professor said, if the were trained really early that it was the parents trained not the child.

Except for my first child who was trained around two, the others trained themselves, my daughter by 18 months and my second son I don't remember but I know it was before 2. They never had accidents. If a child is not reaady it is too much stress on both the parent and the child.
    Old 11-25-2010, 06:33 PM

That is so nice that the baby goes potty already. Our neighbor's grandson, he is 5 years old and he still messes his pants but will do the waterworks in the toilet. They even allow him to go water in their yard in front of visitors. He is in kindergarden now and they send a change of shorts in his backpack. One of the schools said they won't take him until he is fully potty trained. They also have taken the child to see psychologist. I think the whole family, grandparents too need to see the psychologist.
    Old 11-25-2010, 06:49 PM

All of the children in our family were fully toilet trained before they were 18 months. We don't use pacifiers in our family either. Everyone is different - let them do it at their own pace.
    Old 11-25-2010, 06:59 PM
    Power Poster

My oldest daughter potty trained at 13 months. I think the very early training is called ellimination training? There are some people who practice this from birth.
    Old 11-25-2010, 07:03 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by earthwalker
    I 'spose the old methods were abandoned because it appeared to "pressure" the child and let's face it....it means parents/carers have to be vigilant and get off their behinds. Toilet training like teaching manners, setting limits and organising a routine, takes time, energy, patience and maturity. Many (not all) are just not prepared to put in the effort.

Now this grumpy, middle-aged old bat is going to hop off her soapbox.
    No I tend to agree with you as that si the reason many of my friends have given themselves. They do not want to take the child or are unable to keep up that schedule. I have 14 children and have been on both sides of the fence. One thing I found my children that wore cloth diapers trained way faster and more complete then those that did not.
    Old 11-25-2010, 07:21 PM

My first baby was potty trained by 9 months. She trained herself as she didn't want wet or soiled diapers on.
    Old 11-25-2010, 07:21 PM

OOPs!
    Old 11-25-2010, 07:44 PM

I teach preschool. kids come in at 3-5 not trained. My assistant and I have them trained in 2 weeks or less. People of small children nowadays are too lazy to make the effort to teach their own kids. They are still using bottles and pacifiers and letting them grunt and whine for things. Most make the mistake of asking their child instead of stating now its time to potty and so on.