Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Have you had your DNA done? >
  • Have you had your DNA done?

• Have you had your DNA done?

Old 03-03-2017, 07:04 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by cashs_mom
    So, since he's "genetically Jewish", you don't consider him German? I'm very confused.
    . Many of us Jewish folk consider ourselves part of an ethnic group which shows up in DNA such as native Americans, asians, etc. There were and are German Jewish people but as you know, to be Jewish in Germany in the way back years wasn't a good thing. His father is 90. He was born at a time to German Jewish people who escaped to the US. The way we understand it is that his father's nationality was German but his ethnicity is Jewish. Maybe an expert will chime in. Anyway we all found it interesting including his father and siblings.
    Old 03-03-2017, 07:56 PM

Oh, I see. Well, when you said "He grew up thinking he was half Italian and half German. come to find out that he is half Italian and half Jewish." It made it sound like you thought he was Jewish instead of German. I was confused because of that.
    Old 03-03-2017, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I have often wondered how accurate genealogical records are - a lot of families may have not included the out of wedlock children or the black sheep of the families.
    I've done extensive genealogical research, and you are correct! Many "facts" were changed to save face and protect! I've found several instances where they were divorced, not widowed, the birth dates and marriage dates are too close, or found a previous marriage, or no marriage. Makes research quite interesting!
    Old 03-04-2017, 02:22 AM
    Power Poster

I think DNA can reveal things that the "records" might state differently.

Example- The record might say that John is the father, but the sperm donor was Joe.

Would brothers with the same biological parents have DNA with enough differences to tell them apart?
    Old 03-04-2017, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe
    I had it done by both companies: 23 and me and Ancestry. The results were similar, but the first report I got from 23 and me was revised later.

The family folklore said that side came from Northern Austria and then into Southern Germany. I can trace the name back to Wuttenburg, Germany, which is in the southern part next to France. But when I got 23 and me back it said GREEK!! Well, Good Grief, no one ever mentioned that. Then I started looking at migration charts. Where did the folks come from who were in Austria, they migrated north from Italy and Greece. I thought there were also mercenaries that came with the Roman invaders who came to England, Ireland, etc.

I first became interested in this when my brother called and told me I needed to have my iron checked. One grandfather was pure Irish and hemochromatosis is called the Irish disease. It doesn't show up until a woman is about 60 and men about 55. Normally you take in 4 iron molecules, use one, and send the other out. But a hemochromatosis suffer stores the other 3 on any shelf that is available, like the liver, heart, kidney, pancreas, in places you sure don't need iron stored.

There are 6 bad genes: 282, 63 and 65. And you can have two copies (thus 6) of each one. Sure nuf, I have it too and I think that is why I came down with a hyperparathyroid tumor, colon cancer, restless leg syndrome, stomach trouble and all my other ills. My ferritin was 1060 at it's highest. Anything over 1000 and you are damaging your organs. Normal is 15-50. The cure is blood-letting. So if you are a regular blood giver to the Red Cross, you can keep it in check.

I had never given blood as I didn't want anyone to catch my restless leg syndrome that I had suffered with since I was 12. I gave 6 pints in 10 weeks, but my count is below 50 which is where the Dr. wants it. And I only have one copy of gene 282 and one copy of gene 63. If you have two copies of gene 282, that is the worst.

The symptoms of hemochromotosis are the same as old age....gradually falling apart. So I was glad to learn that yes, I am Irish, probably 25%. The incidence of this disorder is 9%, so not every Irishman has it, but it is worth checking.

I'll be glad to help anyone with more information. I had the cancerous part of the colon taken out, I went to Tampa, FLA and had the parathyroid tumor removed, Dr. put me on Parkinson's meds for the legs. I'm really much better. I've had two tests under 50 on the iron, next one April 2017. I do not eat out of an iron skillet, limit my Vit. C, no booze, but I'm 70 now.
    So, Battle Axe, are you saying that Restless Leg Syndrome is something that can be spread by blood transfusions? Or even that it is genetic, and caused by too much iron? I have not run onto this info before. Very interesting. I need to find out more!
    Old 03-04-2017, 01:24 PM
    Power Poster

a program i watched recently said siblings can have wide variety of DNA from parents. even identical twins are not exactly alike. I've often wondered if siblings could be so different and evidently they can.
    Old 03-04-2017, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
    a program i watched recently said siblings can have wide variety of DNA from parents. even identical twins are not exactly alike. I've often wondered if siblings could be so different and evidently they can.
    I guess that explains my brother and I
    Old 03-04-2017, 02:30 PM

I agree with Patrice aka cashs_mom. I am one of 5 kids my parents had while married. You can see the family resemblance in all of us. But that is where it ends, I think.

4 of us went to college, I jumped right into the thick of it by starting my own business at 17. I had to do this or go on assistance which I didn't want. It seems my accomplishments in my running a successful business until my late 30's don't matter much to my Mom as my college (not all finished) siblings.
    I guess I inherited Dad's drive to make it by the sweat of one's brow.
    Old 03-04-2017, 05:15 PM

I have 2 siblings, all three of us are "products of the marriage" however we do not have the same bio father. My brother knows and knows who his bio father is (or who I think it is, several people that have NO CLUE have made similar comments about how much he looks like this person, they were making the comments in innocence ) our sister has no clue. She has been a "open family secret" for years. My brother's parentage has not. I am the genetic offspring of the two people who we all call mom and dad. We look nothing alike.
    Old 03-04-2017, 05:18 PM

Well this post messed up, my point is we would be one of those families where geneology (birth certificates) and genetics would not concur.