Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Have You Hit a Quilting Slump? >
  • Have You Hit a Quilting Slump?

• Have You Hit a Quilting Slump?

Old 08-03-2010, 03:29 AM

Sounds like you need a break of quilting on your own. Visit your local high school and see if they still have home ec and maybe the teacher would have you in to tell the younger generation about quilting and show your work (quilts, patterns, UFO's). Maybe evem offer to teach them how to do it either in the school or as an after school thing. Getting them interested may get you back in the swing. You would have a new view on quilting and life.
    Old 08-03-2010, 05:07 AM

Good morning Marcia, I'm very new at all this, yet after reading all the responses, it warms my heart. Everyone has
    such good stories, and suggestions. I can see you'll find
    what works best for you and go that route. Know you are
    loved and caring friends are here for you.

My passion for quilting (just started) by making my first
    quilt for my new granddaughter. :P I work on getting
    healthy first, and my passions will follow. We're here

Theresa
    Old 08-03-2010, 05:24 AM

Your story sounds like mine except for the teaching and online thingy. I go into my sewing room I even have things laid out to do. Go in touch the fabric and walk out. I have even tried to get enthused by going to buy fabric, that didn't work either. I would go to fabric store look at what they have and walk out with nothing. So is there any hope????

Rita
    Old 08-03-2010, 06:17 AM

Maybe you could develop a mystery quilt for us. I know I struggle with not knowing where to start. I have fabric but no pattern in mind. My Amish Star was a mystery quilt in 6 steps. Small enough to not overwhelm me but stunning when completed.

I remember going to the Dr's time after time and picking at symptoms. One day in the office it just kind of popped out of me "do you think I'm depressed?" The doctor hadn't even thought of it. A little med goes a long way.
    Old 08-03-2010, 06:47 AM

"One thing Julia Cameron advocates..."
    It's a wonderful book called "The Artists Way". Definitely worth a look.
    I had a big slump last winter. This spring I signed up for a one day workshop in art quilts. I sort of dragged myself to the trunk show and ended up so inspired it was like I just 'woke up' from a long sleep.
    At the workshop I tried dyeing, embellishing, ironing tyvek and cellophane; all sorts of things.
    The odd thing in the long run is that I didn't discover that I'm an art quilter or anything.
    I'm pretty traditional, but doing something completely outside my regular quilt like ended up reinspiring me at the things I usually like to do.
    All of a sudden my stash looked completely different to me, and patterns too.
    So try something maybe that you'd never consider in your wildest dreams.
    And you know, it never hurts to consider the clinical depression thing. I know from experience that there is really good help these days.
    I love the idea of mentoring someone or maybe doing a tutorial here. I think it's someone on this board who has a great signature line something like: if you're feeling your lot in life is empty, put a service station on it. I just love that.
    Take care and I hope things improve soon. If you don't get into your quilt room, I hope you find another artistic outlet that makes you happy and inspired!
    Old 08-03-2010, 06:49 AM

I've had the same experience. I just look at my fabric, doodle in the sketchbook, and then walk away.

One thing that has helped jump start me is doing something small. Not to long ago a nonprofit I've sewn for was collecting doll quilts for a fundraiser. I was able to crank out three of them in a day or so, using some block ideas I needed to get out of my system. It was no stress, no pressure, and it got me out the starting gate.

The slump comes back, but taking baby steps seems to help get me out of it.

Laurie
    Old 08-03-2010, 06:52 AM

Just thinking about your love of teaching, our LQS does classes for young people interesting in learning to quilt or simply to operate a sewing machine. The ages that are interested tend to be from 8 to 15, but they had a talented 6 year old last season. Do you have community school or other volunteer teaching opportunities? There's nothing like the thrill of helping someone of any age accomplish something for the first time.
    Old 08-03-2010, 07:13 AM

You know, I agree with the suggestion of Depression. I can relate to that. Another suggestion I liked was to teach someone (one-on-one) to quilt. All of these suggestions seem worthwhile and maybe you just need to walk away for awhile and formulate a new "plan". I have such a long list of projects I wish to complete that I should be busy for awhile but I have also had stagnant periods in sewing and it usually takes a new project or idea to get me started again. Maybe if you redo your quilting/sewing space it may help get you motivated to start again. New starts have helped me. Meds do wonders.HA HA.Don't worry, it will come back. There is a little creative genius in all of us.
    Old 08-03-2010, 07:51 AM

I don't know if this is a good suggestion, but what if you quilted for a cause. Like childrens hospitals or rest homes. just a suggestion....maybe something would inspire you if you knew it was going to some little child....I hope you get your passion back...
    Old 08-03-2010, 07:53 AM

Thank you Theresa and others for being so willing to reach out
    and let me know that I have some cyber-friends who are here
    for me. Quilter's really are the best people in the world.