Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • have you stayed with your child when they had their first  child >
  • have you stayed with your child when they had their first child

• have you stayed with your child when they had their first child

Old 05-25-2011, 10:03 AM
    Banned

No....I was very upset about that! She had her M.I.L.

I remember my mom stayed for two weeks and it was great to bond again!
    Old 05-25-2011, 10:05 AM

I am in the states now helping with number 4!
    Old 05-25-2011, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by catrancher
    I would ask if they want you to come and see what they say. My mom and dad came when I had my first baby. They were more trouble than help. They were not supportive of breast feeding and they were critical of everything I did with the new baby. My first, and as a youngest, I didn't have a lot of experience. I was in tears nearly every day. So . . . all of that to say that if you go to help out? Help, don't hinder. Best to keep one's opinions to onesself and help with the baby, the housework, and the cooking so mom and dad can get some sleep. BTW, when I had my next baby, I asked them not to come. It was so much easier on all of us.
    I can so sympathize with your situation. When I had my first my mom offered to help, and since I wasn't to lift over 5 pounds and the baby weighted 11 I needed it. My mom wanted me to cook lunch for her and my dad and was just more work than the baby. After the first day, I called and told her I would be fine on my own and then my MIL came over on the QT. When I went to visit my son after their first was born, I waited until her mom and family had left and then I made sure I was volunteering and helping and not asking her to do anything for me. I was there to help her not to be waited on.

I let the new momma sleep in and baby and I had a blast bonding, getting the dishes done, doing the laundry. When I left it was with a firm invite from DIL to please come back and visit soon.
    Old 05-25-2011, 10:28 AM

offer offer offer to come. Loved having my mom w/both births. She stayed 5 days so I could get my barrings and napped. She was/is a terriblel cook so I cooked and she did other stuff.
    Old 05-25-2011, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Hosta
    to help out? I can't decide if I should volunteer to go to Maryland to help out because I know the other grandma probably won't. Should I just ask them if they want me for a couple weeks or wait and see if they ask me?
    Don't wait for them to ask. Ask them if they could use your help. It doesn't matter what the other g-mother does or doesn't do.
    Old 05-25-2011, 11:11 AM

I would offer to come and help out.
    Old 05-25-2011, 11:32 AM

Ask, My youngest daughter wanted me with her. So caught a quick flight on the first and on the second went down to Ca. 2 days in advance.and stayed 2 mos since the babies were 11 months apart. C-section babies. the 2nd time was my first grandson and I was very proud to be there and cut the cord. Now that is a weird feeling, nothing like I thought. I was also with my oldest daughter when she had her 1st and 3rd. on her 2nd I had just put the 1st one to bed.It is so exciting, now my son went it alone didn't even see there little one for a few days, they didn't want any one around .I'm sure it was the mom's idea.She was private.
    Old 05-25-2011, 11:45 AM

I was there for my daughter, but let the girls Mom's take care of the babies for my sons
    Old 05-25-2011, 11:48 AM

My mother and I always got along great and she would have been wonderful to have, but she had such a bad experience with her MIL that she stayed away on purpose. She did hire a nanny for a week to help me, but my husband finally had to call her to come over, and tell her I needed her and she would NOT be imposing. I only have sons, so we'll see!
    Old 05-25-2011, 12:04 PM

Offer but don't be offended if they turn you down....it's a lot having "company" around when you have a new baby, even if it's your mom you feel the need to be meeting HER needs and that can be a lot with a new baby. I didn't offer since they lived too far away and I couldn't take the time off from a new career but everything was fine.....