Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Have you or are you having your mailbox smashed or targeted?? >
  • Have you or are you having your mailbox smashed or targeted??

• Have you or are you having your mailbox smashed or targeted??

Old 08-07-2009, 06:11 AM

We have been hit once since we moved out here in the woods. I rented a PO box for the important mail. Magazines and such still come to the house. We put up a cheap box. They make some that are steel and made to withstand vandalism but they are a little pricey.

I have friends that are targeted so often that their mailbox is mounted on bracket that fits the post and is removable. Doug puts the mailbox out in the morning when he gets the paper. After the mail is delivered, the mailbox comes in the house with the mail. All that is outside at night is the post. It has saved them from having to buy new boxes.
    Old 08-07-2009, 08:14 AM

Greetings,
    Some years ago, we were hit like 3 times within 2 weeks. My husband go tired of missing his farm paper delivery and came up with the best solsution we have found. We purchased a large mailbox and a smaller one that fit easily into the large one. We then poured cement into the shell between the two. Shortly after we put it up, it was assaulted by a rock, idiots!! I wish the rock had bounced back and hit their vehicle to cause a little damage. The mailbox still stands, a little scuffed up from the hit, but in good shape!! I will never understand people who easily destroy anothers property without regard. Lori
    Old 08-07-2009, 08:33 AM

if you can get the license number on camera, can you visit the parents and tell them you'll report it to the police if it doesn't stop? if they don't know what their kid is doing, that might do it.

if not you can run an ad in the local paper and embarrass the heck out of the whole familiy.

what i can't understand is why the police and/or the post office is unwilling to step up to the plate. unless it's their kids. i'd be going to the att'y general, the postal dep't or whatever it is. there has to be a gov't office for this. look in the phone book or google it.

when i called the police at the beach house, they cracked down and found the kids, would you believe on bikes? morons!
    Old 08-07-2009, 09:46 AM
    Power Poster

We were told by our insurance agent that any mailbox, trash holding area etc. that is solid enough to not breakaway when hit, we would be liable for damages and any injury. To deliberatly make a mailbox post not breakaway is asking for a lawsuit. There are many entitled parents raising entitled brats that will sue and they will win.
    I had mail stolen from my mailbox and my neighbor saw the teen that took it and knew who he was and where he lived. The Post Office just said call the police. The police took a report and said the parents took the kid's word not the neighbor's eye wittness statement :evil: The kid ruined my mailbox several times after that just because he knew he could. He wasn't worth getting mad enough to get in trouble for me over it. His parents never belived he did those things, that the neighborhood just had it out for him. Last we heard he stole a car and robbed his parents checking account. :wink:
    Old 08-07-2009, 06:30 PM

Old 08-07-2009, 10:29 PM

If it wasn't the kids "playing mail-box bingo" it's the snow plow flying by at about 60 mph and dumping a huge load on the box shoving it all catty-wompus. We moved it back a little with permission of the PO so the driver can get off the highway to deliver and it has slowed the vandalism a bit. We also got a PO box at the post office so that check etc aren't messed with anymore.
    Old 08-08-2009, 03:12 PM

My sis used to have that problem. They even had it blown up once. After that, they got a post office box. She put a mailbox back up a couple of years ago and we haven't had any problems yet. (knock on wood)
    Old 08-12-2009, 03:09 PM

Here's the latest on our situation....we have the same, not on the ground, nor run over, nor stolen mailbox now for ....drum roll......'8', yes, 8 glorious days!!

We kinda 'fixed' our problem hopefully...and, not on purpose. We 'knew' it was the little 20yr old down the road...and, yep, we were right! How do I know??We put up 2 deer cameras down there...one on each side, one to do night and the other was for day...but, since we put a dusk to dawn yard light (the cheap one) on a t-post for more light....well, around 10pm, dh decided he needed to walk down to adjust the one camera...just in time to witness it himself the kids shooting an arrow in it!! Laughing the whole time, not knowing he was standing w/in feet of them doing it!! Then they took off...not knowing they had an audience, etc...then their buddy came in right behind them after they left...only dh said some very choice and scary words from a deep voice from the dark! They took off..sherriff came, made report, took pictures and took the arrow in for prints and dna...(I am thinking these boys must have a list waiting for them elsewhere...espec when he was told the 'who' and where to find him). I am thinking and hoping and really praying that he has been kicked out of the place he was living. For we haven't heard or seen his truck since. Oh, and the dumb-dumbs left in their car after the sherriff was done writing license plates down from his drive (which is right on the road!)Only they weren't counting on the fact the sherriff was on the phone w/my dh when he left over our hill....only dh was able to tell him there were 2 cars coming his way from that residence. Sherriff said he was pulling into a drive and was waiting on them:) Darn..so sad:)We haven't seen him since:)I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed! Let's hope we are done w/it all here! I get up every morning and look first thing to see if we survived another night! Maybe he'll try to sneak another one in..I sure hope not!
    Now, I know in every state, there are different set of laws....here in Missouri, you have the right to protect your property...concrete between 2 mailboxes was next on our list!:)We had boards framing the inside of the last one...which did buy us a bit of time:)Now, my box sits w/bungee cords holding it on a post....for there is no way to mount it since the dumb-dumbs cut off my last one! Skeat.....keep wishing me luck this way!
    Old 08-12-2009, 03:47 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Last we heard he stole a car and robbed his parents checking account. :wink:
    My mother was of the mindset that children need to learn that actions have consequences, and I was (on occasion) the perpetrator of action and the recipient of the consequences. At the same time, one of our neighbor boys (a perpetrator of MUCH action) was constantly protected by his mother. He could do no wrong. Last month he threatened her with a knife and he is now in lockdown. I'm soooooo glad I paid attention to my mother's life lessons.

I also do not understand the concept of entitlement - nor do I understand taking things that isn't mine to take or destroying things because they are there. May be I'm just old school.
    Old 08-12-2009, 09:17 PM

We have been the recipients of games of "mail box baseball" about 6 times in the 3 years we've lived here. I talked to the folks at the post office and they recommended 2 metal posts driven outside the mailbox highly visible, but protecting the box itself. When I lived in the country in Missouri, I bought a big metal Milk can, put the mailbox post in it, then put rocks in it to hold it upright. I leveled a spot on the side of the road to sit it flat, then when I got it in position, I poured a couple of bags of quickcrete powder in with the rocks, then added water so it would set up. if a car would hit the can/box it would fall over, but it would also do some dandy damage in the meantime.
    I also painted it a nice reflective silver so it's very easily seen. I never had any problems there with that being hit.